DCSS improvements

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 25th June 2016, 23:16

DCSS improvements

First of all, obligatory, return poison chunks.

Disto weapons gone, especially from gifts and acquirement. Or maybe like once a brand is id'd you always recognize non artifact versions of it on any type of weapon.

There should be an optional y/n prompt for if I accidentally press 'o' on my android dcss app where autotravel can't be cancelled.

I won't mention the obvious improvements (formacid triple offhand uc punch, brand armour, choosing Ds/Dr starts, etc), but certain subtle changes that won't even affect gameplay much really need to be addressed:

Autoexplore is just seriously way too inconvenient to use. It needs to stop immediately before an enemy is about to enter LOS. Why even have autoexplore without this? Also, auto-placing an exclusion on the out-of-los monster would also help with ease of use for auto explore, but that one is open to discussion, there might be potential for abuse.

52 item slots was fine for 0.17. But it's 0.19 and times have changed. It's time to increase the item limit. I think we all agree this change needs to be made, just the devs haven't quite figured out how to code it in. I'm willing to provide assistance.

The net and web change is a bit backwards if you really think about it. Nets should never be broken, and webs should be broken on every escape.

These improvements are less subtle, but with some balancing would improve the game in the long run:

There's holy wrath against undead, and silver against chaotic.. Why is there no brand that does extra damage specifically against angels? Or even an anti-holy cloud of some sort. There's definitely room for improvement here. Let's brainstorm this one.

I'm actually not even going to get into traps. We all know they need to be removed. (Maybe if there was some sort of trap or adventuring skill, to increase your chance of spotting them?)

Single sign-on (Seriously, though, occasionally some people can't actually access some of the other countrys' servers to create accounts there to protect from griefing.. Luckily very few people actually care)

We all know that torment is a completely unfair and unreasonable mechanic that usually cannot be defended against in any way (unless you got lucky and have lichform castable). But the few of us that are very knowledgeable in crawl mechanics and deep gameplay understand that it's actually a necessity. Similarly, hellfire/damnation are the same, there's literally nothing you can do against them, but we can't let players think their characters are invincible, it's bad practice. So I've devised actually a quite simple solution, and it's in the form of a consumable. The name needs some tweaking, but essentially it's an "irresistable damage resistance" potion. Possibly could work in scroll form, but to balance it it affects all creatures in los. Of course the scroll would be rare.

Food is obviously a very integral part of crawl. But currently, unless you play a spellcaster, or use a lot of rods with no evo, you end up with tons of extra food, whereas spellcasters are constantly in need of food and worrying about hunger tradeoffs, giving them more interesting and difficult choices (ie, Do I cast shatter and easily kill everything? Or should I save the food). This fun element is completely missing from melee builds. I propose that the less spellcasting skill you have, the more swinging/firing a weapon creates hunger (so as to not offset the delicate hunger balance of spellcasters). I admit that this idea needs a bit of tweaking and expanding, but the core of it is integral imo to balancing melee and spellcasting builds.

Let's talk GDR. Guaranteed Damage Reduction. (This section requires you have a decent understanding of ac mechanics in crawl) Currently, if you play a high ac armour wearing character, you can usually ignore the potential for bad ac rolls because of guaranteed damage reduction. Generally it's favorable to have as high a GDR as possible to minimize damage input. Dodge and shield users are pretty much left in the dust. It's really obvious once you think about it, but guaranteed dodge and shield activation (or GDA/GSA) is the solution. How this works, is, the game will track how many times you failed to dodge or block in a row, and based on your current ev or sh level, the next attack from that source may be a guaranteed dodge or block (This effect may need to be randomized a bit to prevent abuse).

For this message the author Dracunos has received thanks: 8
Arrhythmia, duvessa, Hellmonk, Lasty, removeelyvilon, Sandman25, Sar, ydeve

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 26th June 2016, 06:26

Re: DCSS improvements

GDR only works against melee attacks, and many of the scariest damage threats are high-level spells like LCS or Iron Shot, which GDR does nothing against (and AC helps relatively little with, compared to EV or SH which can completely nullify those attacks). I don't think dodge or shield need buffs to compete with AC.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 26th June 2016, 07:57

Dracunos wrote:Let's talk GDR. Guaranteed Damage Reduction. (This section requires you have a decent understanding of ac mechanics in crawl)

lmao
take it easy

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 26th June 2016, 11:15

I won't mention the obvious improvements

I think we all agree

a bit backwards if you really think about it

There's definitely room for improvement here. Let's brainstorm this one.

We all know

Seriously, though

We all know that

the core of it is integral imo to balancing

really obvious once you think about it

Your gigantic brain outmatches this community at every turn.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 26th June 2016, 17:05

>>people responding seriously to cyc threads

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 26th June 2016, 17:55

I think <joke> should be displayed in the thread title of joke threads. Currently it's optimal to read the entire OP to figure out if it's a joke or not, but this is very tedious behavior and should be removed.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 5
PleasingFungus, pumpyscump, Sandman25, Shard1697, ydeve

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th June 2016, 18:36

PleasingFungus wrote:>>people responding seriously to cyc threads
> using double meme arrows
> mfw

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 26th June 2016, 19:17

Has anyone ever noticed that this forum at quite regular intervals gets some new-ish account expressing strong, idiosyncratic opinions in a (new) weird way that seems somewhat manufactured? Some of these accounts stick around and some don't, but this does seem to happen more than I'd expect given that people often seem to accept these new accounts/posts on their own terms.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 27th June 2016, 09:40

advil wrote:Has anyone ever noticed that this forum at quite regular intervals gets some new-ish account expressing strong, idiosyncratic opinions in a (new) weird way that seems somewhat manufactured? Some of these accounts stick around and some don't, but this does seem to happen more than I'd expect given that people often seem to accept these new accounts/posts on their own terms.

advil shouts! advil gestures wildly while chanting!

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner