Undead race without Regen?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 29th July 2016, 15:45

Undead race without Regen?

I'm just throwing this out there as a quick thought. An undead race, immune to poison, pain, drain and torment, which doesn't recover health with time. No damage shaving, no special abilities with evo, instead a ranged attack ability that drains your opponent and recharges your HP instead. Do you think it would be a meaningful addition to the game?
An extreme version would be that you actually lose max HP when you are damaged, and you need to use your ability to raise your max HP. In practice, you would have no passive and no device healing. Your ranged ability would act like stabbing, with very high chance of immediate kill and huge health gain at a critical hit.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks: 2
Gongclonker, jeremygurr

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 29th July 2016, 17:12

Re: Undead race without Regen?

Vampire. But a ranged wand of healing and Pain with infinite charges sounds amusing to me.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 29th July 2016, 17:24

Well, it sounded hard until you mentioned the ranged HP stealing ability, then it sounded extremely easy. Why wouldn't I be spamming that ability whenever possible?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 29th July 2016, 17:54

Mostly because I couldn't think of anything else or an efficient way to limit it (extremely low recharge speed, max MP drain, food, normal drain, all sound boring). However it's true, you can already play this guy with a bloodless vampire: he'll heal when biting and stabbing.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 29th July 2016, 21:49

Rename DD to Draugr, make them this, hit two stones with one bird.

For this message the author removeelyvilon has received thanks:
vergil

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 01:15

How 'bout an abomination/Frankenstein's-Monster-esque thing? Give 'em the slowest metabolism, and say that instead of rotting for eating chunks, they rot without them. They can't heal from chunks like Ghouls, aren't really in danger from hunger-drainers, don't resist torment or poison (no necromancy involved in their creation), and then there's room for fun stuff with mutations.

What if this critter serves Gozag? Well... uh... perhaps, like Hydra transformation, you can eat slain enemies. Nobody else does this in their vanilla racial form and it's hardly OP since you have to engage the mob(s) you want to eat. Perhaps, when you're TOO hungry, you become monstrous and get random Rage when living things (food) are nearby.
And you think you're capable of finding the ORB? I had it, you know. Then I gave it away so I could steal it AGAIN.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 05:42

Gongclonker wrote:How 'bout an abomination/Frankenstein's-Monster-esque thing? Give 'em the slowest metabolism, and say that instead of rotting for eating chunks, they rot without them. They can't heal from chunks like Ghouls, aren't really in danger from hunger-drainers, don't resist torment or poison (no necromancy involved in their creation), and then there's room for fun stuff with mutations.

What if this critter serves Gozag? Well... uh... perhaps, like Hydra transformation, you can eat slain enemies. Nobody else does this in their vanilla racial form and it's hardly OP since you have to engage the mob(s) you want to eat. Perhaps, when you're TOO hungry, you become monstrous and get random Rage when living things (food) are nearby.

When you said room for mutations and Frankenstein I instantly thought what if every few levels you get a mutation from the potion of mutations pool, this adds depth to this concept character as well as makes them always different to play like Ds. Beneficial mutations will make your run easier while malicious mutations with make it harder and mutations gained like this cannot be cure using cure mutation. This would be fun for a element of randomness that isn't overly harmful that adds no depth

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 14:07

there are already 3 undead and no nonliving species. DD should be replaced with a construct species that heals only through XP gain (no ely healing, no makh healing, no vamp, no device healing).

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 14:51

yesno wrote:there are already 3 undead and no nonliving species. DD should be replaced with a construct species that heals only through XP gain (no ely healing, no makh healing, no vamp, no device healing).

Gargoyles

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 15:13

oh yeah

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 15:21

Gargoyles are partially nonliving.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner