Gender politics

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 00:17

Re: Gender politics

It's annoying how everyone against this change seems to think it's "arbitrary". I said why I made the commit: "more equitable distribution of unique's genders".

I think this argument is self-evident, which is not code for "arbitrary". It is code for "I think you can figure out the rest of the argument from the snippet I posted".

Since you can't, here's a fleshed out version:

Convert a few uniques from male to female.

The current gender balance for uniques is about 70/30 M/F, which is quite uneven. There's no real in-universe reason. It reflects an unconscious preference for creating male uniques by past creators. This is fine. Unfortunately, the gender balance now implies something unintended about the crawl universe. To compensate, change several uniques from men to women. Uniques based on real-life references are not touched.

Also neuter Pan lords, matching the general demonic trend.

The final gender distribution is closer to 55/45.

For this message the author chequers has received thanks: 5
archaeo, Lasty, osklington, pumpyscump, tedric

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 00:25

its real dumb

For this message the author yesno has received thanks:
Yermak

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 00:26

thats great thanks for all your hard work gentlemean

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 00:27

this is what its all about and when my kids are all grown up and off to college im looking forward to sitting down and playing crawl, where i can slaughter 9 female uniques for every 11 male uniques

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 00:33

Since you're apparently responding to my quip about self-evidence: my point was not that I believe this change to be "arbitrary" or that I can't figure out why someone would make it. Nothing I said suggested either thing (because, frankly, I have no desire to discuss politics here), and I don't know why you jump to those conclusions. My point was that if someone asks you to explain or justify your actions, saying "it's self-evident that the result is better" is not giving an answer; it's just refusing to play the game of explaining your actions. Sure, nothing really forces you to explain yourself, but if you act like you're doing so when you're not, someone might point it out.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 00:37

andreas wrote:Since you're apparently responding to my quip about self-evidence: my point was not that I believe this change to be "arbitrary" or that I can't figure out why someone would make it. Nothing I said suggested either thing (because, frankly, I have no desire to discuss politics here), and I don't know why you jump to those conclusions. My point was that if someone asks you to explain or justify your actions, saying "it's self-evident that the result is better" is not giving an answer; it's just refusing to play the game of explaining your actions. Sure, nothing really forces you to explain yourself, but if you act like you're doing so when you're not, someone might point it out.

ladies he's single (sorry just assuming)

For this message the author yesno has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Tiktacy

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 00:58

chequers wrote:It's annoying how everyone against this change seems to think it's "arbitrary". I said why I made the commit: "more equitable distribution of unique's genders".

I think this argument is self-evident, which is not code for "arbitrary". It is code for "I think you can figure out the rest of the argument from the snippet I posted".

Since you can't, here's a fleshed out version:

Convert a few uniques from male to female.

The current gender balance for uniques is about 70/30 M/F, which is quite uneven. There's no real in-universe reason. It reflects an unconscious preference for creating male uniques by past creators. This is fine. Unfortunately, the gender balance now implies something unintended about the crawl universe. To compensate, change several uniques from men to women. Uniques based on real-life references are not touched.

Also neuter Pan lords, matching the general demonic trend.

What is it implying about the crawl universe by having humanoid males and females be consistent with the males and females of reality? I am genuinely trying to understand the purpose behind this and I just can't wrap my mind around why having more uniques be female would be somehow equitable when there is nothing in the crawl universe(or in reality for that matter) that implies females and males are equal in physical prowess.

The reality is, uniques were created with an image in mind, and that image should be respected and not tampered with for no reason.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 01:01

yesno wrote:
andreas wrote:Since you're apparently responding to my quip about self-evidence: my point was not that I believe this change to be "arbitrary" or that I can't figure out why someone would make it. Nothing I said suggested either thing (because, frankly, I have no desire to discuss politics here), and I don't know why you jump to those conclusions. My point was that if someone asks you to explain or justify your actions, saying "it's self-evident that the result is better" is not giving an answer; it's just refusing to play the game of explaining your actions. Sure, nothing really forces you to explain yourself, but if you act like you're doing so when you're not, someone might point it out.

brutal...

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 2
andreas, Tiktacy

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 01:02

Tiktacy wrote:The reality is, uniques were created with an image in mind, and that image should be respected and not tampered with for no reason.

lmao

EDIT: re-read the quoted post and now i'm lmaoing @ the first half as well

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, osklington

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 01:02

Tiktacy wrote:giant ant men can dig through rock walls as fast as they can run
No, formicids are slower when they dig.

chequers wrote:Unfortunately, the gender balance [implied] something unintended about the crawl universe
What's that? Oh, that the dungeon's monsters aren't enlisted / promoted to uniques with gender quotas? K, glad we fixed that. Image

For this message the author HardboiledGargoyle has received thanks: 3
Sar, ThreeInvisibleDucks, Tiktacy

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 01:05

This thread has changed me.

Originally I was completely apathetic because there is no reason to care, but the level of dumb is so overwhelmingly great on one side that I would like all Crawl Uniques to be female, please.

Also all non-uniques.

And player dolls.

And every time you gain a level the screen should flash YOU ARE FEMALE in 42 point font.

For this message the author Reptisaurus has received thanks: 8
Airwolf, Arrhythmia, cerebovssquire, duvessa, Nasst, osklington, reosarevok, tedric

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 01:08

PleasingFungus wrote:
Tiktacy wrote:The reality is, uniques were created with an image in mind, and that image should be respected and not tampered with for no reason.

lmao

EDIT: re-read the quoted post and now i'm lmaoing @ the first half as well

You must have a very sensitive ass for it to be falling off so easily. :roll:
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 01:10

are you hitting at him

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 01:10

Sar wrote:are you hitting at him

Maybe

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 01:12

fun q: if ijyb, aizul, etc were always female, would you want them to be changed to be male?

Tiktacy wrote:You must have a very sensitive ass for it to be falling off so easily. :roll:

please be gentle w/my ass

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
Sar

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 01:13

Arrhythmia wrote: i want consistency more than anything

Proposal: all demons are male and all holies are female. It's consistent internally and externally, and simplifies coding because sometimes all you'd have to do would be a holiness check. TSO would be DA PIMP, and Makhleb a total sausage master. What's not to love?

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 01:18

ijyb is a nasty petty ltitle shitboy goblin but now he's a nasty petty little shitgirl goblin. you dont have to be a boy to be a nasty petty little shitgoblin. this is what progress looks like. this is crawling into the future

For this message the author yesno has received thanks: 2
infinitevox, ThreeInvisibleDucks

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 01:23

New Ijyb concept art:

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
Tiktacy, yesno

Swamp Slogger

PleasingFungus wrote:
yesno wrote:

brutal...

My feelings were hurt. I guess yesno can be happy with himself.

Zot Zealot

Tiktacy wrote:What is it implying about the crawl universe by having humanoid males and females be consistent with the males and females of reality? I am genuinely trying to understand the purpose behind this

1. Crawl isn't intended to be consistent with reality. It has dragons and potions of invisibility.
2. Even if crawl was intended to be consistent with reality, crawl's previous design was not consistent with reality. You can use the same throwing net on tiny and large monsters.
3. Even if the previous design was consistent with reality, the previous design was not consistent with how you describe reality. Fannar, Jorgrun, Tiamat, etc are all uniques with non-gender-archetypal stats.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 01:24

PleasingFungus wrote:fun q: if ijyb, aizul, etc were always female, would you want them to be changed to be male?

Tiktacy wrote:You must have a very sensitive ass for it to be falling off so easily. :roll:

I always thought Aizul WAS a girl.

Ijyb really should not have been changed though. That one just doesn't make sense to me, unless you flavor ijyb and that new goblin unique as husband and wife, that would be hilarious.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 01:25

andreas wrote:
My feelings were hurt. I guess yesno can be happy with himself.

yea i feel great about being here, participating in this conversation

For this message the author yesno has received thanks:
Reptisaurus

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 01:26

I've become obsessed with marrying Aizul now that her gender matches my sexual preferences, please revert this change for the sake of my mental health.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 01:30

Tiktacy wrote:
PleasingFungus wrote:fun q: if ijyb, aizul, etc were always female, would you want them to be changed to be male?

I always thought Aizul WAS a girl.

Ijyb really should not have been changed though. That one just doesn't make sense to me, unless you flavor ijyb and that new goblin unique as husband and wife, that would be hilarious.

I hate to break it to you man, but Robin is also female.

For this message the author wheals has received thanks: 2
osklington, Tiktacy

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 01:34

chequers wrote:
Tiktacy wrote:What is it implying about the crawl universe by having humanoid males and females be consistent with the males and females of reality? I am genuinely trying to understand the purpose behind this

1. Crawl isn't intended to be consistent with reality. It has dragons and potions of invisibility.
2. Even if crawl was intended to be consistent with reality, crawl's previous design was not consistent with reality. You can use the same throwing net on tiny and large monsters.
3. Even if the previous design was consistent with reality, the previous design was not consistent with how you describe reality. Fannar, Jorgrun, Tiamat, etc are all uniques with non-gender-archetypal stats.

1. I never said it was, I asked what is it implying by having a portion of the game that IS consistent. Not an argument.
2. Again, I never said it was, I asked what it was implying. Not an argument.
3. Fannar is an elf, which are known for their magical affinity and fragility. Jorgrun is tough as fuck and hits like a truck, he is very consistent. Tiamat is a diety of dragonkin, it would make sense that she is powerful. All of those examples are explained and make sense within the context of the game. Ijyb and grinder being female does not.

Do you have an answer to the question or not?
Last edited by Tiktacy on Friday, 10th June 2016, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 01:35

wheals wrote:I hate to break it to you man, but Robin is also female.

:o

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 02:07

Yang is associated with warmth and maleness, so clearly Xtahua should be male. Yin is associated with cold and femaleness. Therefore Fannar's gender makes no sense. Don't blame me, this is just science, people.

On another topic, meta-analysis of studies of men and women shows that on almost every studied trait, there's much more variation within a given gender than between the two genders; that is to say, the bell curves of male and female quantities of a given trait substantially overlap. That includes physical strength broadly. The one exception is, interestingly, throwing distance, where men tend to significantly outperform women.

Of course, even if that weren't true, it would be baffling to choose that being able to create raging fires from thin air is a good kind of defiance of reality while a strong woman is a bad kind of defiance of reality. It would be hard to imagine that someone who chooses that distinction is doing it for some reason other than holding strong preferences about the relative roles of men and women.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 10
all before, cerebovssquire, chequers, duvessa, Nasst, osklington, Sar, tedric, Tiktacy, ydeve

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 02:10

Tiktacy wrote:3. Fannar is an elf, which are known for their magical affinity and fragility. Jorgrun is tough as fuck and hits like a truck, he is very consistent. Tiamat is a diety of dragonkin, it would make sense that she is powerful. All of those examples are explained and make sense within the context of the game. Ijyb and grinder being female does not.

Do you have an answer to the question or not?

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 02:28

Lasty wrote:Don't blame me, this is just science, people.

Thats not science.

I'm on board with the rest of what you were saying though. :D

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 02:44

ontoclasm wrote:
yesno wrote:in webtiles all the characters use the male tile

Not that it matters, but this isn't true. In WebTiles everyone uses the first doll tile on the list for their species, and those are intentionally ordered so that some "defaults" are male and some female. It'd be neat if we could pick a random one for each character or something, but that's outside my coding ability.

I play on Tiamat or Lamia tiles, that is, until gammafunk give me the random cat tiles.
You shall never see my color again.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 02:58

chequers wrote:1. Crawl isn't intended to be consistent with reality. It has dragons and potions of invisibility.

and yet, your decision that the sex ratio of uniques was out of balance is based strictly on our reality. who's to say whether or not any given species in crawl has the same ratios as we see in nature? maybe men naturally outnumber women in the crawl universe, and the previous balance of uniques reflected that.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 03:10

chequers wrote:1. Crawl isn't intended to be consistent with reality. It has dragons and potions of invisibility.

This is a terrible argument. At least it's not original.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks: 2
Sar, Tiktacy

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 03:22

Reptisaurus wrote: the level of dumb is so overwhelmingly great on one side...

... that this thread is getting bookmarked for future entertainment.

For this message the author ydeve has received thanks:
osklington

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 03:26

Lasty wrote:On another topic, meta-analysis of studies of men and women shows that on almost every studied trait, there's much more variation within a given gender than between the two genders; that is to say, the bell curves of male and female quantities of a given trait substantially overlap. That includes physical strength broadly. The one exception is, interestingly, throwing distance, where men tend to significantly outperform women.

Of course, even if that weren't true, it would be baffling to choose that being able to create raging fires from thin air is a good kind of defiance of reality while a strong woman is a bad kind of defiance of reality. It would be hard to imagine that someone who chooses that distinction is doing it for some reason other than holding strong preferences about the relative roles of men and women.

But of course it is true, so claims that you can't have a female Ijyb tougher than the average male goblin are ungrounded in (either) reality. Uniques are unique, so there's no reason why they should be in the middle of the bell curve.

For this message the author ydeve has received thanks: 6
duvessa, Lasty, Nasst, osklington, tedric, Tiktacy

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 03:27

dynast wrote:
ontoclasm wrote:

Not that it matters, but this isn't true. In WebTiles everyone uses the first doll tile on the list for their species, and those are intentionally ordered so that some "defaults" are male and some female. It'd be neat if we could pick a random one for each character or something, but that's outside my coding ability.

I play on Tiamat or Lamia tiles, that is, until gammafunk give me the random cat tiles.

Lamia is the saddest I've ever been about something being removed.

I mean come on! She fucking ate people! How badass can you get!?

For this message the author Tiktacy has received thanks:
dpeg

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 03:29

If you like eating people you can always play one of the 23 species that do so

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
cerebovssquire, Tiktacy

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 04:17

Lasty wrote:hard to imagine that someone who chooses that distinction is doing it for some reason other than holding strong preferences about the relative roles of men and women.
it is?
either way, that reason is bad?
and twisting atmosphere to satisfy a desire to see equal outcome (more=better?) in a game is good?

I'm not judging, it's just that many people are heavily implying that some particular agenda is good and obviously good, but avoid stating the design goals, and thus they really obfuscate their position.

Keep in mind not all of us have PhDs in genderology or whatever.

For this message the author HardboiledGargoyle has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 04:49

dynast wrote:
ontoclasm wrote:

I think the cat changing every UI action is really ugly, but if you actually want that, just replace your tiamat line in your rc with:
  Code:
player_tiles = {{mons = "feild", tile = "felid", num_var=10}}

Having it change to a new kitty every 100 turns or XL change would be better, but you need to upgrade your RandomTiles. You use a default RC otherwise, so I'd recommend you just completely replace your current RC with:

Code:
#{
#  player_tiles = {{mons = "tiamat", tile = "mons_tiamat", num_var=9}}
#}

{
  player_tiles = {{mons = "felid", tile = "felid", num_var=10, var_type = "fixed"}}
}

{
function ready()
-- Enable random tile
random_tile()
end
}

include += RandomTiles.rc

Then you can comment out / uncomment the tiamat or cat tiles and RandomTiles itself as you like. You can also use macros to choose the tile and enable/disable RandomTiles without having to edit your RC, but you probably don't mind editing it. If you're interested in using the macros, see RandomTiles documentation.

For this message the author gammafunk has received thanks:
dynast

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 05:20

For the record, I'm not even against the changing itself, I don't care if they are male or female. As I said before crawl is a fantasy world with oceans under ground and ants that can basically sprint through rock walls(and as has been mentioned, uniques are meant to be, well, unique). In fact I am in favor of many of the changes, they actually make a lot of sense to me.

However, the apparent reasoning for it leads me to believe that the devs responsible for the change are more interested in pandering to a political agenda than actually improving the flavor of their uniques.

Of course, all this assumes that the "political agenda" of "gender equity" is in fact their reasoning, which I don't actually know. So in a way, this is just speculation, and a conditional fuck you for bringing gender politics into the game(if that is in fact what is going on). If its not the reasoning, then consider this a conditional thumbs up.

Moose

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 05:52

lol @ the idea that crawl is a forum in which one can meaningfully "pander to a political agenda"

The point is that "gender politics" were already in the game, and this change just reflects a different stance within that context. chequers' commit notes made that very clear.

So thanks for admitting that your complaint is not about the effect of the change on the game, but actually about the way you feel when you think you're being exposed to a particular ideology that you'd rather ignore. And apparently the ideology you don't like being reminded of is...that some people prefer to treat women as equals? What does that say about you?

But the broader point is that this is a volunteer-developed video game and the folks developing it can do whatever they want for any reason they want. Anyone who perceives this as having an "agenda" forced upon them is taking things too seriously.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

For this message the author tedric has received thanks: 9
cerebovssquire, chequers, duvessa, Hands, Lasty, Nasst, osklington, reosarevok, ydeve

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 06:04

I read through this thread and all I got was several minutes closer to the grave

But if it's not too much trouble, please bring back Ereshkigal's monster tits.
take it easy

For this message the author Cheibrodos has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, cerebovssquire, PleasingFungus, Tiktacy

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 06:09

I think it's perfectly reasonable for the devs to decide they'd like a more equal gender balance and to act on that decision.

For this message the author Hands has received thanks:
Lasty

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 06:45

wow if you search "gender", 9/94 threads are locked
people are razzing each other over being uncomfortable about ideas
something fishy is going on and I don't understand it while people are smug all around me, i mean, you don't see quite this in discussions of other design decisions

BTW
ydeve wrote: claims that you can't have a female Ijyb tougher than the average male goblin are ungrounded in (either) reality. Uniques are unique, so there's no reason why they should be in the middle of the bell curve.
this argument falls on its face because uniques are extraordinary and thus out of the middle; you're really looking at the tails of the distribution, and dozens of outliers (uniques) taken from that tail, which form their own distribution, and it is claimed that the high end, the top <1%, is better divided evenly. So current design is to stratify monsters, and balance their gender at special levels of distinction, because, maybe, the "corrupting influence of the realm of zot" is turning the dungeon into some kind of egalitarian utopia?

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 06:54

tedric wrote:lol @ the idea that crawl is a forum in which one can meaningfully "pander to a political agenda"

The point is that "gender politics" were already in the game, and this change just reflects a different stance within that context. chequers' commit notes made that very clear.

So thanks for admitting that your complaint is not about the effect of the change on the game, but actually about the way you feel when you think you're being exposed to a particular ideology that you'd rather ignore. And apparently the ideology you don't like being reminded of is...that some people prefer to treat women as equals? What does that say about you?

But the broader point is that this is a volunteer-developed video game and the folks developing it can do whatever they want for any reason they want. Anyone who perceives this as having an "agenda" forced upon them is taking things too seriously.

:lol:

tedric

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 06:59

Cheibrodos wrote:I read through this thread and all I got was several minutes closer to the grave

how about giving eresh the +9 gsc of fertility?
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
Cheibrodos

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 07:04

Cheibrodos wrote:I read through this thread and all I got was several minutes closer to the grave

Is this just a joke or did Ereshkigal ACTUALLY have tits?

I can't really even imagine what that looks like.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 07:11

You could load up an older version and go on a wizmode visit.

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks:
Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 07:11

Or just look at the tile sheet.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 07:13

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:You could load up an older version and go on a wizmode visit.

Where can you find older versions for download?

To my knowledge, you can't do wizmode online.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 10th June 2016, 07:25

Tiktacy wrote:

Is this just a joke or did Ereshkigal ACTUALLY have tits?

I can't really even imagine what that looks like.

yeah. the old tile was pretty much just some woman in white robe with white hair and her gazongas on display.
take it easy
PreviousNext

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner