Oh Entropy Weaver, how I hate you

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 13:53

Oh Entropy Weaver, how I hate you

Just what are you supposed to be? Looks like Neil Gaiman's Sandman in yellow robes. Squint a lot and you see the extra Spider Limbs. Hmm. The moth from Pedido Street Station they are not.
So they stand around and chant at you? I'm just not feeling it. Give me rust-monsters any day. Multiple corrosion attacks from mouth tentacles, fast movement, good AC. That would be fun. Not this strange monster that does not really have a DC flavour.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 14:00

Re: Oh Entropy Weaver, how I hate you

Problems of this kind are circumvented by playing console, the way god intended.

It is never too late to repent and turn, and to learn the alphabet!

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 5
Airwolf, pumpyscump, Rast, TeshiAlair, ydeve

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 15:09

Of course it's not too late for a different tile either.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 18:23

Not too late to remove entropy weavers, either.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
nago

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 18:40

I thought they look cool.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 19:48

I approve of entropy weavers. They look cool, and there mechanic of corrosion as actually pretty well designed and leads to plenty of interesting situations. I give props to the person that designed it.

I mean, at least we don't have to carry around extra weapons to fight jelly's anymore.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 21:24

fighting an entropy weaver is like fighting an old summoner: tab away and then reset the fight whenever you get unlucky. The worst is when you're fighting something easy and now it's just going to take longer. I also don't like trying to recalibrate my feelings about my character's power level due to corrosion. Slow: monsters get more actions for each action I take. Poison: I'm taking some damage...fine...-4AC/-4 Enchant? Okay I'm taking a little bit of extra damage from attacks and doing less damage (how much less? it's an annoying calculation) okay I have a good feeling about this I think...-8/-8, now what?

How does AC<0 work? Does it make any sense (what happens if a bat hits a DD with AC-20?)?

Repeatedly changing a character's power level within a fight in this way is not very fun ime

For this message the author n1000 has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 21:37

AC<0 is the same as AC=0 for all purposes except raising it above 0.

I don't like entropy weavers much either. I would say mr of 60 is hexable enough that you can use hex wands, except orb spiders already used up all your charges so you're out of luck.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
n1000

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 23:14

With decent damage and hp you can simply move towards orb spiders and melee them. Their kiting isn't perfect, they let you get into melee range, even in an open area. I don't bother with paralyzing orb spiders unless my character is notably weak. I used a wand of paralyze on them in two, maybe three games I think.

For this message the author Wahaha has received thanks: 2
Sar, TeshiAlair

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 07:42

Their behavior around corners is also unlike that of regular ranged monsters, which make it easier to catch them.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 08:03

Tiktacy wrote:I approve of entropy weavers. They look cool, and there mechanic of corrosion as actually pretty well designed and leads to plenty of interesting situations.

I really don't see the upside to those mechanics. It is not LoS since I get corroded in hallways with two or three enemies between me and the weaver. I'd much rather have them be forced to melee me to get the corrosion effect on me.
And actually the pic is not bad, but only if I get real close to the screen. :lol:
I have no beef with Orb Spiders at all, I think they spice up the game nicely.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 08:18

When I started playing a couple months ago, I thought the weaver was some kind of moth or butterfly. Only when I looked at this did I realize that weavers are humanoid. (and inspired me to x v it and actually read the description)
remove handsome distillation

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th June 2016, 11:50

The problem with meleeing orb spiders is that you can't actually rest while inside spider nest so the branch takes like an hour. I really don't want to make it take any longer.

I mean okay if you are a 40 ac minotaur of trog it's easy since you don't take damage, but it took my optm forever, to the point where I really would just rather do shoals. Sure, shoals might kill me, but at least I get to die and then play fun parts of crawl again that way.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner