I'm Sorry, I Like Pakellas

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 02:05

I'm Sorry, I Like Pakellas

Being able to use wands and other evokables as my primary killdudes is a playstyle I've wanted to be able to do since forever. Maybe it was possible before and I wasn't skilled enough to do it, but Pakellas makes it easy. Almost certainly too easy, sure--but I'm glad this opportunity for a fun (YMMV) character now exists in the game.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 02:49

Re: I'm Sorry, I Like Pakellas

Well you could just cast spells, which is what wands actually are(except their power is based on evocations). Pretty sure their power in the code is even still referred to as spellpower.

If you want to cast spells without investing in armor skill and worrying about ER then you could just play a draconian/felid/octopode that casts spells.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 05:10

lmao @ the immediate "no actually you don't like x" response

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 5
andreas, Arrhythmia, infinitevox, osklington, prozacelf

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 05:41

I feel the same way about felids, my friend. I see other posters trashing them.. saying that the volk would be better off if Felids were quietly patched out of the game. I never spoke up. I was... afraid to. But your brave post has inspired me to step into the light. I will remain silent no longer. I am here, and damn it, I think felids are a pretty fun race!
Last edited by lethediver on Thursday, 26th May 2016, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author lethediver has received thanks: 3
dracos369, Zargon, ZoFy

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 05:44

Oh yeah?!
Well I like Pakellas and Feilds!
SO THERE!
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 06:02

PleasingFungus wrote:lmao @ the immediate "no actually you don't like x" response

I'm genuinely confused. Were you referring to me?

I had an idea a long time ago for a god based on evocations but never posted it, and my reasoning for not posting it was exactly what I posted: Wands are just spells that you can use without a lot of skill investment, but the downside is that they are in limited supply. If I wanted to play using wands, I would just play a spellcaster.

EDIT: *wands, not evocations. Nemelex does still exists after all!
Last edited by Tiktacy on Thursday, 26th May 2016, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

For this message the author Tiktacy has received thanks:
jeremygurr

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 06:26

Tiktacy wrote:Wands are just spells that you can use without a lot of skill investment, but the downside is that they are in limited supply. If I wanted to play using wands, I would just play a spellcaster.

Well, the two sets don't *exactly* overlap, they're pretty similar, but they certainly aren't exactly the same, and they've been moving apart, rather than together (Admittedly it's still a fairly slim margin) they were closer in the past than they are presently, at any rate.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 06:37

Siegurt wrote:
Tiktacy wrote:Wands are just spells that you can use without a lot of skill investment, but the downside is that they are in limited supply. If I wanted to play using wands, I would just play a spellcaster.

Well, the two sets don't *exactly* overlap, they're pretty similar, but they certainly aren't exactly the same, and they've been moving apart, rather than together (Admittedly it's still a fairly slim margin) they were closer in the past than they are presently, at any rate.

If I'm not mistaken, pakellas was added prior to the wand changes, which would mean at the time he was added my argument would have been more relevant. Really, its still not much different, considering most of the wands are just slightly re flavored spells.

Good point though still, I was thinking about mentioning that but thought I would wait for someone to jump on that before saying anything.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 07:54

I like Mountain Dwarves.

Since players liking things is now the metric for retaining or removing these things, please add them back to the game.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 13:53

Tiktacy is correct that Pakellas is similar to a blaster build. For whatever reason I'm not very successful lately with spellcasters, and that is does indeed help me enjoy my current character. Pak does streamline skilling decisions a great deal, and lessens the overall XP cost of killdudes. Trog is easy-mode for "I want to bash heads in". Is it a bad thing if Pak exists to be easy mode for "I want to blow stuff up"?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks:
osklington

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 16:21

I know it'd be a lot of coding effort, but for both flavor and gameplay I think it would be cool if Pak had some unique evos.

Like, low piety he just gives you wands, medium you get some rods and elemental evoks, but later on he gives you some wacky experimental shit.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 16:29

MainiacJoe wrote:Tiktacy is correct that Pakellas is similar to a blaster build. ... Is it a bad thing if Pak exists to be easy mode for "I want to blow stuff up"?

He's more than that. Pak lets you be a blaster/summoner/hexer all for one skill investment (and no Int investment). A mage that tries to do all of that will die from the bad EXP investment. Plus you could play him with an "I'm chargin' mah lazor" style of stocking up on piety and gifted magic potions, then splurging it all on a rod of shadows or something.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 17:34

I guess you could say pak is sort of like being a caster with a variety of spells. Most of the 'casters' I play tend to have a lot of different kinds of spells, like for example I always learn blink and RMsl the moment I find them when I can, and depending on my intelligence and natural defensesI might try to get ice beasts online .

At the very least, with pack you get more use out of rods, and I think rods are pretty cool.

Note that I might dislike paks gameplay, but not because he is an evo go. I dislike him because doesn't let you cast spells, and unlike trog you can't just blast through most of the game with him without thinking twice about most decisions(which is trogs biggest appeal to me). Also you can't start with pak, but you can start with trog. Also, he is already in the game, so removing him is kind of pointless at this point. I just don't think they should add things just because "LolWandGod" which is the impression I get from pakellas, but I could be wrong on that.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 17:48

Tiktacy wrote:Note that I might dislike paks gameplay, but not because he is an evo go. I dislike him because doesn't let you cast spells
-Cast conduct is gone in stable, and casting Blink has saved my ass several times. I also have RMSl, and have Apported things a few times. Once you hit midgame you start getting MP on kills often enough that minor support spells like this become quite useful.

Tiktacy

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 23:17

If -Cast is gone, I think Pak is a pretty great God. I am a fan.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 11:45

Pakellas is like casting spells, except you dont need intelligence, you dont need to constantly kite enemies for mp, you dont need to train different spell schools to increase your range of elements and effects, you dont have spell failrates, so nothing like casting spells.
What is there not to like? This god is utterly broken.
You shall never see my color again.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 14:46

"A person likes it" and "should be in the game" are not always the same thing, although it is probably easy to get confused on that point after reading most of the posts in GDD.

For this message the author RBrandon has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, crate, duvessa, nago

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 19:33

RBrandon wrote:"A person likes it" and "should be in the game" are not always the same thing, although it is probably easy to get confused on that point after reading most of the posts in GDD.

Pakky provides an interesting set of benefits and drawbacks, (spellcasting becomes difficult) and at least supercharge wand and supercharge ONE rod/wand make for interesting (and fairly unique) tactical decisions. Plus you're a highly armored (potentially) with some hexes, one charm, some conjurations, and some summonings, so it gives you a jack-of-all-trades master of none feel that makes you stand out from all the other spellcasters.

Really, the only problem I see is that ending up with 70,000 potions of magic makes spellcasting a little TOO easy.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 19:35

I'd like Pak if you could overcharge a disc of storms.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
osklington

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 19:56

There are a couple major problems with Pakellas.

1) He includes several things that were removed from crawl in the past, presumably for reasons the devs still agree with.
Included: giving a god haste, infinite enslavement, infinite polymorph, infinite self-teleport, possibly other things
It's hard to justify removing those in the past and simultaneously including them with Pakellas.

2) He steps on the toes of several other gods
He gives you Ely's healing, Makhleb's destruction. Nemelex is already an evoker god, and there's a lot of overlap with Gozag also (partly since Nemelex and Gozag themselves have a lot of overlap).

3) Gods using evocations skill cannot be balanced.
This one is pretty easy: either evokables are only useful if you get double-duty out of the skill (from a god); or the god is too strong because evokables are already super good so you get too much for free; or the god just sucks and doesn't do anything. Nemelex kind of manages to be both of the last two, since he's actually completely useless right away but then lategame he is super strong. This also means that adjusting the power of evokables messes with the power level of the evoker gods, which is a problem. I guess there's another alternative which is to remove evocations skill entirely, which might work but probably won't happen.

The potions of magic thing and the no-MP-regen conduct are also awkward (since in practice this doesn't actually do what it was presumably intended to do), but those are more minor.

---

It's fine if you like Pakellas as a player. You don't have to be concerned with these design problems (especially #1). If you have fun, great; I actually sort of enjoy Pakellas myself despite caring a lot more about design concerns than like 99.5% of all crawl players. His design is pretty bad though.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 8
all before, duvessa, dynast, Lasty, MainiacJoe, nago, RBrandon, ydeve

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 20:12

I'm not all that experimental with gods and haven't even tried pak yet, maybe I will soon after I finish killing off characters attempting to speedrun. But as for felids, they're awesome and should totally stay. You also haven't lived until you've played them as melee with cheibriados, trust me. As per usual it sounds like a joke, it is a joke, but I've actually done it. Please send help.

I guess I've never really liked the concept of evocation in general, to be honest. Consumables should be consumed, it's strange to have things that are generally limited suddenly become much less limited based on luck. Let's say an average game sees about 15 heal wounds potions and 5 haste potions, but then one in 10 games you find a hasting wand, and since you have 10 recharging scrolls, now instead of 5 uses of haste, you have 50. Why the tenfold increase? Of course you could also learn the spell, but this is for zero skill investment. And there isn't a heal wounds spell, so dramatically increasing the amount of heal wounds you have is something only the wand can do. It's why wand acquirement is generally the best acquirement, wands already basically break the limits on some of the most powerful consumables in the game. All we need now a wand of blinking :P

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
ZoFy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 20:14

Evokables are fine, the problem there is that recharging scrolls probably shouldn't exist and wands of hasting and heal wounds are pretty questionable even without recharging scrolls (and indefensible with recharging).

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 2
Sar, tasonir

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 22:06

crate wrote:There are a couple major problems with Pakellas.

1) He includes several things that were removed from crawl in the past, presumably for reasons the devs still agree with.
Included: giving a god haste, infinite enslavement, infinite polymorph, infinite self-teleport, possibly other things
It's hard to justify removing those in the past and simultaneously including them with Pakellas.

They're not infinite, though - You're limited by (A) inventory and (B) wand charges - which translates into "killing stuff to recharge your mp to get wand charges while saving enough MP so you can cast aura of abjuration and save you're life" You could probably get one of the listed things infinite-ish if you really worked at it, but it's not like you have infinite teleport and infinite enslavement all the time in every game.

Honestly (again) I see the only real problem here being the 50,000 potions of magic mean that you can effectively bank your kills and charge the wands willy-nilly. Which is a real problem.
2) He steps on the toes of several other gods
He gives you Ely's healing, Makhleb's destruction. Nemelex is already an evoker god, and there's a lot of overlap with Gozag also (partly since Nemelex and Gozag themselves have a lot of overlap).

Sometimes, yes but so does basically every God, so? and I don't really see it.

A of heal wounds isn't guaranteed in even a 15 runer and Paky only gives out 5 (?? Too lazy to check the actual number) wand gifts... It's not like you're getting instant, reliable Ely-type healing. Sure you can if the RNG is good to you, but it's the equivalent of a + 11 longbow of speed from Trog. Sometimes it'll happen and that game will be easy.

Mahkleb has kill-everything type abilities. So do Nemlex, Chei, Ru, Quazal, Fedhas although that usually kills you instead and also damn near everyone else in the Pantheon. Gods basically have two powers: Kill your enemies and escape from your enemies. Paky, like Mahkleb, tends to focus on the former but also work really well for the latter.

Why does it matter that their are two evoker Gods? My counter argument (that starts with three magic gods) is so obvious I feel dumb even making it.

Explain because I'm not seeing it. Gozag and Nemlex feel very different to me.
3) Gods using evocations skill cannot be balanced.
This one is pretty easy: either evokables are only useful if you get double-duty out of the skill (from a god); or the god is too strong because evokables are already super good so you get too much for free; or the god just sucks and doesn't do anything. Nemelex kind of manages to be both of the last two, since he's actually completely useless right away but then lategame he is super strong. This also means that adjusting the power of evokables messes with the power level of the evoker gods, which is a problem. I guess there's another alternative which is to remove evocations skill entirely, which might work but probably won't happen.

Okay, I can see that one. Training invocations on Pahkellus is a bit of a no-brainer because the returns on your investment are much better than training invocations on other Gods.

Stilll.. overall big picture balance wise Pahkellus he's really just Nemlex big daddy - He doesn't turn killer 'till late game when you have a bunch of wands/rods. Unless you start as an artificer (and are already overpowered!) you've got a small handful of random wands in the early game, and the early game is when your God really matters. He's still not on the level of Fedhas or Trog that give you guaranteed, predictable, life-saving powers at * piety. Paky can make LATE game kind of a cakewalk, but there are a dozen other ways to make late game a cakewalk.
The potions of magic thing and the no-MP-regen conduct are also awkward (since in practice this doesn't actually do what it was presumably intended to do), but those are more minor.

Yep, but I don't see 'em as minor at all.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 23:05

crate wrote:Evokables are fine, the problem there is that recharging scrolls probably shouldn't exist and wands of hasting and heal wounds are pretty questionable even without recharging scrolls (and indefensible with recharging).

As much as I hate to admit it (because I'd rather abuse the hell out of them), I think you're probably right. Simplest solution right now would be to just completely remove recharging with no compensation, which I don't think would have any really negative side effects. Rods would be a bit weaker, you wouldn't be able to 'craft' a +9 rod, but you can still find +3 or so rods which are plenty strong.

Alternatively you could make recharging only work on rods, and about as rare as a scroll of brand weapon, so you find 1-3 or so a game, and then can only apply +3 to a rod once per game.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 23:59

tasonir wrote:
crate wrote:Evokables are fine, the problem there is that recharging scrolls probably shouldn't exist and wands of hasting and heal wounds are pretty questionable even without recharging scrolls (and indefensible with recharging).

As much as I hate to admit it (because I'd rather abuse the hell out of them), I think you're probably right. Simplest solution right now would be to just completely remove recharging with no compensation, which I don't think would have any really negative side effects. Rods would be a bit weaker, you wouldn't be able to 'craft' a +9 rod, but you can still find +3 or so rods which are plenty strong.

Alternatively you could make recharging only work on rods, and about as rare as a scroll of brand weapon, so you find 1-3 or so a game, and then can only apply +3 to a rod once per game.

Honestly I don't think rod charging is a problem at all, +9 rods aren't really significantly more amazing than a +3 one, it mostly just means you have to kite less distance, recharging rods is on par with like, an amulet of mana regen, not that incredible, even if you're using it often it's only an inconvenience reducer.

What if ?charg, and pak's charging ability on a wand reduced it's max capacity by some amount (somwhere in the 1-3 range, leaning towards 3)?
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
andreas

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 00:04

rod recharging isn't problematic in the way that wand recharging is, but rod recharging alone is not enough reason to keep ?recharging in the game

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
andreas, Sar, tasonir

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 02:07

crate wrote: recharging scrolls probably shouldn't exist
wow, I was going to make a thread: "is recharging a good mechanic?" (Please put recharging in the title Mainiac)

Perhaps to re-iterate tasonir, what recharging does is give you an amount of power proportional to the number of recharging scrolls you have found, which is roughly proportional to how far into the game you got... but you can only hop onto this power curve once you have found the really powerful wands, which may happen early, or never.

Without recharging, there would be very few things standing in the way of making wands work like Phantasmal Mirror (stackable, always-mulch): just stuff like wand identification, Deep Dwarves, Quick Charge, and those funny "used wand" shops.

tasonir wrote:Alternatively you could make recharging only work on rods, and about as rare as a scroll of brand weapon, so you find 1-3 or so a game, and then can only apply +3 to a rod once per game.
you can let Enchant Weapon be used on rods

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 02:25

crate wrote:Nemelex kind of manages to be both of the last two, since he's actually completely useless right away but then lategame he is super strong.
Are you sure you didn't accidentally switch-around? Because my experience with Nemelex has been the polar opposite: strong early, runs out of steam and becomes uncompetitive late.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 05:07

Pakellas is definitely infinite wand charges. You have to try really really hard to actually use up mp/piety faster than you gain them, to the point where you're even killing things like river rats with wands. Like, I literally made a character to test this once, and I'm not joking.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 3
duvessa, MainiacJoe, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 07:51

HardboiledGargoyle wrote:
crate wrote:Nemelex kind of manages to be both of the last two, since he's actually completely useless right away but then lategame he is super strong.
Are you sure you didn't accidentally switch-around? Because my experience with Nemelex has been the polar opposite: strong early, runs out of steam and becomes uncompetitive late.

Early on you don't have many decks and deck power isn't so good. Later on you have lots of legendary decks. The decks are very powerful. I'm with crate here.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 07:58

HardboiledGargoyle wrote:becomes uncompetitive late

Nemelex gives you some of the best escape abilities, summons and attacks in the game...

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 13:29

Nemelex deck power isn't very strong early, but that doesn't matter too much since the deck effects of at least the summons and destruction are generally stronger than anything else you can do at that point of the game. For example, an early Nemelex altar had me summoning polar bears and molten gargoyles I think on D:4, and I got an orb of destruction on D:7

The problems I have with Nemelex are the following:
1) The deck of escapes is generally pretty terrible. Low power exile can banish the player for some reason so it's a good idea to just drop plain decks of escape on the ground. Once you get some power it's a fun exercise to draw cards from escapes and see how long it takes to get something that will actually help escape. One of the cards (Swap) is very likely to make your position worse.
2) Some of the cards just don't "feel good," in that very often they seem to have no effect or unintended effects. These are the Storm (it's basically a summoning card in the shooty deck since it most often cancels its clouds), Clouds (only works because of questionable AI, and is otherwise near useless), the Blade, and the Shadow. Low power crusade fits here too.

I understand random effects are the key to Nemelex's design, but sometimes it feels like it is trying too hard to be Xom-lite (Nemelex slaps you with a rainbow trout!)

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 13:36

I think you're supposed to stack escapes for stuff like Tomb (Tomb is super-good) etc., though I heard drawing four from them is okay too. I love Blade because cleaving on a non-axe is fun.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 13:57

Escape decks are extremely good, just don't draw from them blindly.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
Sar

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 14:12

duvessa wrote:rod recharging isn't problematic in the way that wand recharging is, but rod recharging alone is not enough reason to keep ?recharging in the game

Allowing ?enchant weapon to work on rods would be fine here I think.

For this message the author johlstei has received thanks: 2
infinitevox, Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 15:01

Speaking of rod recharging, Pakellas' Quick Charge lets you refill a rod's MP pool as an ability during combat! But only ?Rech changes the rod's attributes.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 15:16

crate wrote:There are a couple major problems with Pakellas.

[snip]

It's fine if you like Pakellas as a player. You don't have to be concerned with these design problems (especially #1). If you have fun, great; I actually sort of enjoy Pakellas myself despite caring a lot more about design concerns than like 99.5% of all crawl players. His design is pretty bad though.

My OP was about the fun of playing a powerful character, definitely. And though at the time I wrote that I didn't see the design problems, I see them now. I had maybe 5 !Magic then; now I have 40. I didn't have /HW or /Tele or /Haste then; now I do and I have been abusing their non-consumable nature.

crate

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 17:49

Here is my take on a new Pakellas that addresses crate’s concerns while retaining what I see are its distinctives: the evocables enhancer and the in-combat rod recharging. The latter is generalized to all evocables, and a new identification ability is added that is unique. This tries to make Pakellas a true evocables god while avoiding the infinite consumables and stepping on other gods’ abilities issues. You’ll see that I give Pakellas abilities with decks, but IMO Nemelex is more the powerful-but-random effects god with an inventory screw mechanic than an evocables god, and I don’t think he lets you add cards to a deck anyway so it’s just the card-ID that overlaps.

Major Changes
  1. Piety to exploration instead of on-kill. This is intended to make abilities more costly. I also think it fits the flavor of intellectual curiosity better.
  2. Pakellas neither turns off MP regeneration, nor gives MP on kills, nor saves up and gifts magic potions.
  3. The evocables enhancer is now passive, and paired with a wizardry malus to accomplish the role of the earlier MP-pool shenanigans to discourage spellcasting. A few of the rods played poorly with a one-off surge IMO. If we make the charging ability piety cost high enough, then a real choice between recharging and enhancing evocables might occur.
  4. Effectiveness of recharging is tied to Invocations instead of Evocations.
Unchanged:
  1. Gifts (per 0.18, not the wiki)
  2. Wand ID ability
Abilities:
  • Identify Wand (0*), Passive: wand charges are known when wand is picked up.
  • Tuned to Devices (1*), Passive: +1 Evo enhancer, -1 Wiz enhancer.
  • Analyze Item (2*), Active, costs low Piety, spends all MP: A particular misc item (not all items of its type) becomes fully identified for the rest of the game. A charged item (box/sack) always shows charges remaining. An XP-gated item (elemental evoker) always shows % recharged. A deck will always have the top card identified.
  • Disciple of Devices (3*): Passive, +2 Evo enhancer and -2 Wiz enhancer.
  • Refresh Item (4*), Active, costs high Piety, spends all MP. Recharges an evocable item. A wand or charged misc item has charges added. A rod’s MP pool is regenerated. An XP-gated item has virtual XP applied to it. A deck has cards added to it. Amount of restoration is a function of Invocations, MP spent, and the max capacity of the item. If the item has charges or is a deck, then it gains the “Charged” ego and cannot be recharged again by scroll or ability.
  • Master of Devices (5*): Passive, +3 Evo enhancer, -3 Wiz enhancer.
  • Supercharge Item (6*): Active, use ability once per game. Give enhanced capability to a permanent evokcable item. If a rod, set recharge to +10 and set max MP to (int(17/spell_power) + 1)*spell_power (i.e. gain an extra usage of the rod). For XP-gated items, give a multiplier to XP that speeds up its recharge rate. The Disc of Storms has a reduced failure rate. The crystal ball of energy has a reduced confusion rate (though it’s not very useful to Pakellas worshippers—do this before abandoning Pakellas?)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 2nd June 2016, 05:45

johlstei wrote:
duvessa wrote:rod recharging isn't problematic in the way that wand recharging is, but rod recharging alone is not enough reason to keep ?recharging in the game

Allowing ?enchant weapon to work on rods would be fine here I think.
not convinced that characters who don't rely on weapons should get better rods than characters who do

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner