buff early regen, simplify regen mut

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 14th May 2016, 16:01

buff early regen, simplify regen mut

There is an artificial bend in the regeneration rate formula that makes natural regeneration take abnormally much time when maxHP < 60. This is only relevant for the early game, and the early game is where pillar dancing is most relevant/unavoidable. So when dancing with a goblin with 1 HP left, instead of taking 30 turns to regen, you take 100 turns to regen. I really can't see what good this formula does for the game. Replace MHP/3 with MHP/6+10 for all values of MHP.

Vine stalkers start with Regen I (+20 regen) and upgrade to Regen II (+40 regen) and Regen III (+60 regen), because I guess Regen III on D:1 would be too powerful. But, if regen mutation is a multiplier, then they can have it right away from D:1, removing the need to give them maturation phases. E.g.:
Regen I - doubles natural regen, innate Troll mutation. (would make Trolls feel more right IMO)
Regen II - triples natural regen, innate Vine Stalker mutation. (worse than current Regen III while MHP<120, better when MHP>120)

No opinion on other sources of Regen+ except that one might expect troll leather and robe of vines to multiply your regen rather than add to it, right?

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (6.78 KiB) Viewed 1708 times

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 14th May 2016, 22:55

Re: buff early regen, simplify regen mut

I'm pretty sure that that formula actually makes you regen HP faster when you are below 60 MHP...
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

For this message the author WingedEspeon has received thanks: 2
genericpseudonym, PleasingFungus

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 15th May 2016, 03:01

In the current formula (with no regen muts) it takes 300 turns to regenerate from 0 to full if you have anywhere from 0 to 60 maxhp, and it takes longer if you have more. With maxhp/6+10 a 300-hp character will take 500 turns to fully regenerate.

Your graph looks at hp-per-turn instead of turns-for-full-hp, which makes the formula look worse at low levels.

Also, making regen bonuses a multiplier makes them worse at low levels (when they are/were previously good) and better at high levels (where 2 hp per turn won't do anything to help with a juggernaut in your face). I feel like this is mostly a nerf.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 15th May 2016, 05:33

what nonsense

Yes, it currently takes 100/(MHP/3)*MHP = 300 turns to get all your HP back when MHP<60, more than 300 turns when MHP>60. How is this relevant to anything that I am saying?

The formula is worse at lower levels.

More regen and more MHP is always preferable. If you have the same early-game MHP, but better early-game regen, that is a straight-up buff. The ratio between Good Thing A and Good Thing B does not matter, it is still preferable to get more of one Good Thing without sacrificing the other. You would never refuse extra MHP past 60 just because it would take you longer to regen lost HP after a fight that would have killed you had you made the same tactical decisions but not had that extra MHP.

I said "make regen bonuses a multiplier" most because of VS first, Trolls second; random beneficial mutations are rare early (so early that MHP<60) and are allowed to be mild, while buffing later-game regen mutation sounds alright.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 15th May 2016, 05:59

the alligator wants to eat the bigger number

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
WingedEspeon, yesno

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 15th May 2016, 17:04

The formula is worse at both levels, actually. MHP/3 is lower when MHP < 60, and MHP/6 + 10 is lower when MHP > 60.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with simplifying it to use MHP/3 regen at all levels though. I don't think that 300hp ogre is going to notice the extra .4 hp per turn when he goes from 60 to 100 regen rate.

Using the MHP/6+10 at all levels would probably lead to a lot of earlygame pillardancing with the hugely buffed regen though. A newly-created 13hp character would regenerate about 3x as fast under this formula compared to the old one.

For this message the author genericpseudonym has received thanks:
Rast

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 15th May 2016, 18:00

genericpseudonym wrote:Using the MHP/6+10 at all levels would probably lead to a lot of earlygame pillardancing with the hugely buffed regen though.

It wouldn't "lead to pillardancing", it would make pillardancing take less time and be less boring, so fewer people would refrain from saving their character and go YOLO at 1 HP.

The meaningful zero-point is a point in favor of using MHP/3 regen at all levels (you get used to it, it always takes 150 turns to regen 50% of MHP, etc). Changing regen mutation still would still make sense.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner