FR: Improve Felid flavor on Zin recite

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 15th May 2016, 20:01

FR: Improve Felid flavor on Zin recite

Currently, Felids get the same Recite message as everyone else: "You clear your throat and prepare to recite." Now, as we know, Felids do have custom flavor in other cases (e.g. "You meow for attention!") and I think that a cat clearing its throat sounds quite silly. Thus, I propose that the new message for a Felid using Zin's recite should be: "You cough up a furball and prepare to recite."

That's just it.
If I play online, I do so under the screenname Marenglen.

For this message the author Malevolent has received thanks: 6
andreas, dracos369, Tiktacy, WingedEspeon, ydeve, ZoFy

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 15th May 2016, 20:25

Re: FR: Improve Felid flavor on Zin recite

I don't think that Felids are extremely popular in the devteam these days, but a patch for this might just go in anyway. Cat content for Crawl, after all :)

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
Malevolent

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 16th May 2016, 01:10

Should it really be "cough up a furball"? One uses Recite many times in the course of a game. That can spiral into quite an unrealistic number of furballs. How about other cat "get ready to do stuff" activities? You arch your back? You stretch out langorously? You lick your paw?
remove handsome distillation

For this message the author pumpyscump has received thanks: 2
Sar, yesno

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 16th May 2016, 02:06

Cats can read scrolls out loud correctly, same with spells. Based on the flavor of silence, I assume this means that felids are capable of speaking like other races.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 16th May 2016, 02:10

pumpyscump wrote:That can spiral into quite an unrealistic number of furballs.

I feel like realism is a pretty weird thing to get hung up on when it comes to felids.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 16th May 2016, 03:05

andreas wrote:

I feel like realism is a pretty weird thing to get hung up on when it comes to felids.

ok but it's also just a little gross

For this message the author yesno has received thanks:
pumpyscump

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 16th May 2016, 15:27

Do you own a cat? Because mine seems to be capable of spitting up a near-unlimited quantity of furballs..
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
infinitevox

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 16th May 2016, 16:14

I have three cats, none of whom output furballs, actually!

One of them has very lightweight fur though, so at a touch or in a strong breeze, she sheds fur up, into the air, like a dandelion.
remove handsome distillation

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 16th May 2016, 16:20

pumpyscump wrote:I have three cats, none of whom output furballs, actually!

One of them has very lightweight fur though, so at a touch or in a strong breeze, she sheds fur up, into the air, like a dandelion.

Check your spare boots. ;0
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 17th May 2016, 06:53

Malevolent wrote:Currently, Felids get the same Recite message as everyone else: "You clear your throat and prepare to recite." Now, as we know, Felids do have custom flavor in other cases (e.g. "You meow for attention!") and I think that a cat clearing its throat sounds quite silly. Thus, I propose that the new message for a Felid using Zin's recite should be: "You cough up a furball and prepare to recite."

That's just it.

given the number of times zin followers use recite in a given game, i feel like this joke would wear out its welcome really fast.

serious replies to cyc topics...

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 17th May 2016, 08:17

I think the flavor issue would be resolved quite nicely if felids were removed.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 17th May 2016, 08:19

PleasingFungus wrote:
Malevolent wrote:Currently, Felids get the same Recite message as everyone else: "You clear your throat and prepare to recite." Now, as we know, Felids do have custom flavor in other cases (e.g. "You meow for attention!") and I think that a cat clearing its throat sounds quite silly. Thus, I propose that the new message for a Felid using Zin's recite should be: "You cough up a furball and prepare to recite."

That's just it.

given the number of times zin followers use recite in a given game, i feel like this joke would wear out its welcome really fast.

serious replies to cyc topics...

This was originally in GDD.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 17th May 2016, 12:44

Cats don't cough up furballs every time they recite religious texts! You should hear my cats...

But more importantly, a Zin follower clears his throat every time he recites? That guy is going to have a REALLY sore throat if he's reciting often. Clearly we need a phlegm clock to keep track of how much in need of a throat clearing the character is, and it needs to be an action taken from the A menu. If you try to recite, cast, or read a scroll with too much phlegm, it comes out gravelly (- spellpower), or doesn't come out at all (lost turn, but throat is cleared). Once this is implemented, felids would cough up furballs ONLY if they had a lot of phlegm, AND they had been cleaning themselves recently, AND the felid is a long haired breed. Felid hair length is obviously determined at XL 5 to prevent people start-scumming short hair felids.

Mods please move this to GDD and sticky, devs, please implement ASAP. I think this is important enough to go into version 0.18 even though a tourney is going on.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner