deformed body -> flimsy frame

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 12th May 2016, 02:04

deformed body -> flimsy frame

Deformed Body doesn't have a terrible reputation because people just learn about what it does and then there's nothing to grumble about. But it is a very weird mutation because it affects only body armor, and has no effect on the AC you get from armor skill, and ignores armor's enchantment. Even if Crawl handled fractional AC, and even if the mutation was made unambiguous ("Your body is deformed (-(base AC of your body armor)/2 AC).") the question remains: why is there a mutation like this and who came up with it? Taking away 1-7 points of AC, depending on what armor is worn, is just a strange thing to do.

That's why I suggest taking inspiration from the Sturdy Frame mutation and have Deformed Body increase your armor's encumbrance rating by 3. I think 3 is good because it's an amount that is usually noticeable, but also negligible if you're wearing robes. For reference, leather has an ER of 4.

For this message the author HardboiledGargoyle has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 12th May 2016, 03:21

Re: deformed body -> flimsy frame

Seems like a significant nerf to nagas of notchei. Centaurs too but they're already better-than-average.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 12th May 2016, 08:33

wouldn't even make sense for nagas, they can't wear as much armor as other species how would that make them *more* encumbered than average?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 12th May 2016, 22:11

Nagas probably shouldn't have the mutation at all. It gives them an awfully strong bias towards robes and they're presently one of the weakest races so I can't imagine the buff would send them over the top.

Centaur is a more difficult case, since its staggeringly bad dodging gives it a strong bias towards plate even with the mutation.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
WingedEspeon

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 13th May 2016, 00:56

ER does way more than just affect the amount of AC you get. It affects dodging and spellcast rates.

If it was added, it should definitely be just a malmutation and not a racial trait for Naga/Cent.
"Crawl is cruel. But we keep coming back to it like an abusive boyfriend. It keeps telling us how it will be different this time by giving us early robes of the archmagi and staves of fire. Then it backhands you with a Centaur on D4." ~Me

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 13th May 2016, 01:15

ER doesn't affect the amount of AC you get, at all.

adozu: the idea is that a deformed body makes it harder to wear armor i.e. makes armor more encumbering.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 13th May 2016, 07:20

except in the case of nagas it literally means they get to wear it only from torso up effectively only wearing half of it. i'm pretty sure the upper part is supposed to be 99% humanlike, well, except the spitting poison part.

it makes sense for them to get less AC but i really can't see how would they get more encumbered than anyone else.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 13th May 2016, 13:12

Armour is designed to be walked in, not slithered in?
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 13th May 2016, 14:57

yeah but they don't wear the leg part, that's why we have naga barding instead. they don't walk OR slither in plate. nagas only wear half of plate armor so if anything it would make sense for them to be *less* encumbered (which is somewhat true because of their decent STR stat).

why is it so hard to grasp the imaginary anatomy of a mythological beast?

For this message the author adozu has received thanks:
Sar

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 13th May 2016, 15:39

adozu wrote:why is it so hard to grasp the imaginary anatomy of a mythological beast?

We mostly care about sexy elves (but draconians and jellies have their proponents too.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 14th May 2016, 02:57

adozu wrote:i'm pretty sure the upper part is supposed to be 99% humanlike

Maybe one can imagine another anatomy for a mythological beast? just a distant possibility...

There are no pants in DCSS. Even the artwork supports this. At most, body armors have wide side-flaps for fat butts.
Crawl is a game where a really nice hat gives as much protection in combat as a robe. This doesn't encourage your kind of logic, of armor covering only 1/2 of a naga's body, and therefore giving 1/2 of its base (why base?) AC.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 14th May 2016, 05:52

A robe doesn't give you much protection in combat irl either

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 14th May 2016, 07:09

compared to running around and fighting naked?

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 16th May 2016, 19:10

I would think people would be more intimidated and less likely to hit you if you were fighting naked...
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 17th May 2016, 07:02

infinitevox wrote:I would think people would be more intimidated and less likely to hit you if you were fighting naked...

I'd hit you if you were naked. ;o

I think nerfing Nagas again would be the nail in their coffin, though that's a discussion for another thread.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 17th May 2016, 07:19

look, maybe the orc mines are simply meant to be set in scotland and orcs play bagpipes in their spare time

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 17th May 2016, 07:28

There are no pants in DCSS.
look, maybe the orc mines are simply meant to be set in scotland and orcs play bagpipes in their spare time

Spoiler: show
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 17th May 2016, 07:37

visit gammafunk's moon lab

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner