remove quiver

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 06:21

remove quiver

A quiver was almost necessary when you could fire multiple types of ammo. Now, launchers can use only one type of ammo, so there's no need. Except for slings, but you can just remove bullets (which are weakly branded rocks in practice) and buff the base damage of slings. The quiver is a good thing to get rid of because it takes up an entire line on the main interface, has a bunch of commands and inscriptions associated with it, and it makes it very easy to throw the wrong thing accidentally.

The only remaining consideration is Throwing. First of all, throwing can work as it normally works with the 'F' key. This normally requires 3 keypresses, which is exactly how spellcasting and wandzapping work.

However, the ability to throw things straight out of your inventory is not necessarily a desirable feature. Throwing is a very weird viable option when wielding a crappy distortion weapon or resist stick or cursed item. Wands already occupy this design space of being usable straight from the inventory. Throwing something whenever monsters are out of melee range is optimal so frequently that it's somewhat annoying to switch between melee and throwing when melee is more powerful (this is why we don't penalize using ranged against adjacent targets) (yes there's an RC file option that modifies tab to do this automatically) whereas spells and evocables don't suffer nearly as much due to being limited in MP or total charges, and generally more powerful than throwing if you have them available.

The second option is to make only wielded items throwable. (If this happens, might as well merge 'f' with 'v' and 'F' with 'V'. Prob f/v->f, F/V->v. And either all needles must be unbranded or blowguns need to be rethought/removed, e.g. remove poison needles since poison tomahawks exist.) Aside from solving the above concerns, it would be a more naturalistic (good for flavor/simulationism, however minor that concern) and foolproof way of restricting species from using javelins or large rocks. Weapons, staves, and rods should be unthrowable, since they have (or should have*) a function for pressing 'f'/'v', and also since we don't want people to accidentally throw their lajatangs into lava. Whether to let people throw stuff like potions and food for lulz is a minor, open question.

*all normal weapons, even hands, and not just polearms, should be evocable

Like the semistandardazition of ranged formulas to be like melee, removing quiver narrows the range of options one has to consider in designing further changes, which makes development easier and smoother. Just a thought.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 06:43

Re: remove quiver

what
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

For this message the author Tiktacy has received thanks:
crate

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 06:55

Tiktacy wrote:what

what part is hard to understand?

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 07:34

Your proposing the removal of something that is extremely easy to understand. The "quiver" is a great example of good UI in the context of an extremely complex game, and yet you are proposing its removal because it supposedly makes you shoot the wrong object incorrectly and it takes up a line of space that would otherwise be completely unused!?

The entire proposal doesn't make sense. Last night I had a dream that I befriended a bear, then in that same dream my family was mauled by a completely different and unrelated bear, then my girlfriend bought those instant mashed potatoes from a rainbow foods that closed down a few years ago in my town. I ate at a shady korean BBQ place today and had a lot of salty bean paste and not a lot of water.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

For this message the author Tiktacy has received thanks:
WingedEspeon

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 14:58

Note that shift-tab throws-or-attacks in the default configuration, no init file editing required.

wielding thrown items is even worse interface wise than manually throwing them with F.

In order to remove the quiver without making the game worse interface wise you have to make all ranged attacks have only one option, including throwing.

You could plausibly do that with needles by moving the needle brand to the launcher (slightly awkward) or using some other system to change the brand of needle you were firing like "dipping your needles in a poison vial" or something, but that just replaces the quiver with something equally complicated, so you gain nothing.

On the other hand, to unify throwing you'd have to limit that to a single thrown type.

Of course the net gain of all this work is just a *lack of* an existing interface feature. I dont see the point for doing so unless there is a something competing for that space, which i dont presently see.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
amaril, Tiktacy

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2016, 07:30

Tiktacy wrote:Your proposing the removal of something that is extremely easy to understand. The "quiver" is a great example of good UI in the context of an extremely complex game, and yet you are proposing its removal because it supposedly makes you shoot the wrong object incorrectly and it takes up a line of space that would otherwise be completely unused!?

The entire proposal doesn't make sense. Last night I had a dream that I befriended a bear, then in that same dream my family was mauled by a completely different and unrelated bear, then my girlfriend bought those instant mashed potatoes from a rainbow foods that closed down a few years ago in my town. I ate at a shady korean BBQ place today and had a lot of salty bean paste and not a lot of water.

i don't understand this post. where are the sexy elves

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2016, 13:27

PleasingFungus wrote:i don't understand this post. where are the sexy elves

his avatar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2016, 16:15

I appreciate a compliment as much as anyone, but dude, I was like 15 when that tile was drawn

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 12th May 2016, 15:00

duvessa wrote:I appreciate a compliment as much as anyone, but dude, I was like 15 when that tile was drawn

15 in elf or human years?

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner