blowgunify venom brand?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 06:09

blowgunify venom brand?

The amount of poison delivered by poison needles now scales with skill. From what I understand, at max skill and with a +9 blowgun, poison needles are 7 times stronger than they used to be. I think it may be interesting to copy this mechanic for the melee/ranged Venom brand. Calibrated correctly, this should slightly nerf early-game Venom while keeping it competitive later on.

Making one melee brand depend so unusually on skill might be considered odd or spoilery (tho it can be communicated: "This weapon applies an amount of poison that depends on your Axes skill." Interesting flavor.) but look at it this way: we already have the "poison needle" brand; might as well just use it for the venom brand, substituting the appropriate skill, instead of inventing a whole other 'spoilery' venom brand! Poison needles have better symmetry with some poison brands like Strong Poison that use monster HD rather than physical damage to determine amount of poisoning.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2016, 07:31

Re: blowgunify venom brand?

turning a brand from "useful early-game" to "useful nowhere" seems like a bad move, OP

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 4
duvessa, Sar, scorpionwarrior, WingedEspeon

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2016, 22:59

So why'd you do it to blowguns?

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
Wahaha

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2016, 23:10

players complain a lot when you remove stupid things. but players only complain a little when you make stupid things useless. that's why the changes were made to cboe, poisoned needles, etc. instead of removing them

unfortunately at some point a dev missed the memo and made cboe sorta useful again. but usually it works

curare is still useful but i think that's just because curare has an aura of amnesia. similar to how players always forget they're carrying curare when an ettin shows up, lasty forgot curare existed when he changed poisoned needles

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2016, 23:11

Nobody complained about lantern of shadows getting axed.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2016, 00:41

duvessa wrote:players complain a lot when

No one cares about that from what ive seen

For this message the author lethediver has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2016, 06:57

Does it have to be always useless? Blowguns are actually better now if you have 8+ skill. Needles deliver a large total amount of damage, main problem being that it is spread over a long time and hard to monitor safely. The rate at which poison does damage is proportional to the total amount of poisoning, so if poison is stacked really high then it can do a lot of damage turn by turn, on top of having value from hit-and-run tactics and Ignite Poison. Maybe the formulas are still too flat. The amount of poisoning doesn't have to increase linearly with skill, it can increase faster than that. Pain is another example of a brand that does damage based on skill.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2016, 17:57

Rast wrote:So why'd you do it to blowguns?

points in throwing are still useful for non-blowgun stuff like nets or eventually javelins of penet

points in shortblades on a mace character are almost entirely useless after you outgrow your dagger of venom

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2016, 18:52

genericpseudonym wrote:
Rast wrote:So why'd you do it to blowguns?

points in throwing are still useful for non-blowgun stuff like nets or eventually javelins of penet

points in shortblades on a mace character are almost entirely useless after you outgrow your dagger of venom

Poisoned weapons shouldn't give you a free ride to Lair and beyond, anyway.
"Crawl is cruel. But we keep coming back to it like an abusive boyfriend. It keeps telling us how it will be different this time by giving us early robes of the archmagi and staves of fire. Then it backhands you with a Centaur on D4." ~Me

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 12th May 2016, 00:34

elec and drain are already better than venom even in the earliest early game, anyway

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 13th May 2016, 14:18

duvessa wrote:curare is still useful but i think that's just because curare has an aura of amnesia. similar to how players always forget they're carrying curare when an ettin shows up, lasty forgot curare existed when he changed poisoned needles

I didn't forget about curare. I considered it and decided I didn't have a strong feeling about how it fits into the game and whether it should change, so I wouldn't make a change at that time. I didn't nerf 0-skill poison needles because I wanted to "soft remove" them. I did it because I thought they'd be a more interesting thing in the game if they required and rewarded skill.

There are a lot of things about blowguns and needles that might be worth changing (like the overlap with hexes and hex wands), and I expect that some of these changes will come through in 0.19. If you have a strong argument about how they should be changed, I'd be interested to hear it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 13th May 2016, 23:47

i was making fun of rast's ridiculous attempt at a clever rebuttal, not making a serious design commentary. the change to poisoned needles is good (actually I think it doesn't go far enough, 0 skill poisoned needles are still too useful for my liking)

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner