Name of the god?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 2nd May 2016, 04:48

Name of the god?

I once read about the really awesome god idea from other DCSS site,
and I'm planning to translate it and post it to GDD board.

The God's name is not yet decided, so I have a question at this point.
Is it OK to have a name not related with Alphabet?
I was thinking about the name like The Shining One,
whose name was forgotten long time ago, and only his/her title left.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd May 2016, 07:59

Re: Name of the god?

There seems to be a rule that every god name starts with a different letter and TSO is '1'.

So I guess you can make a god called 'The Flaming Colon' or something like that.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 2nd May 2016, 08:16

+1 would play

(I think the "rule" is because of code and/or interface reasons, but it doesn't matter because names are the least important part of any design proposal.)
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 2nd May 2016, 09:29

Sprucery wrote:There seems to be a rule that every god name starts with a different letter and TSO is '1'.

Than '2' would be OK?
The Concept of these gods are twins. Sun and Moon.
I and Other guys thought it's really nice idea.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd May 2016, 10:01

Pretty sure the alphabet thing was originally just a joke that has been repeated ten thousand times until the original irony and humor got completely ruined.

Most god ideas are rejected because they are terrible, and most of the remainder are rejected because nobody happens to volunteer to implement the hard parts of the design and coding process. Approximately zero are rejected because their name starts with the wrong letter.

Even if there is somebody on the devteam who forgot about the name thing being a joke and is taking it seriously, they've implemented features that were on the official Won't Do list several times. If something comes up that they've previously opposed that is actually done well, they'll change their minds. If they are willing to implement a race that has multiple lives, surely they won't put their foot down just because a god proposal starts with a letter that is already used. Assuming that proposal is actually a good one and somebody else volunteers to implement it, mind you.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 2nd May 2016, 14:13

Sprucery wrote:There seems to be a rule that every god name starts with a different letter and TSO is '1'.

So I guess you can make a god called 'The Flaming Colon' or something like that.

sound like what happened after you eat particularly spicy curry.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd May 2016, 19:48

lethediver wrote:

Yeah well there's clearly room for a food-related god.
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 07:30

KoboldLord wrote:Pretty sure the alphabet thing was originally just a joke that has been repeated ten thousand times until the original irony and humor got completely ruined.

What really? I thought it was a tacit rule of DCSS...
but I don't want to break it hehe :D

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 07:47

The original Crawl gods were Elyvilon, Kikubaaqudgha, Makhleb, Nemelex Xobeh, Okawaru, The Shining One, Sif Muna, Trog, Vehumet, Xom, Yredelemnul and Zin. At some point in the development of DCSS somebody came up with the idea that TSO is '1' and using the (English) alphabet for the rest gives a fitting limit of 27 gods.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 02:25

KoboldLord wrote:Pretty sure the alphabet thing was originally just a joke that has been repeated ten thousand times until the original irony and humor got completely ruined.

Most god ideas are rejected because they are terrible, and most of the remainder are rejected because nobody happens to volunteer to implement the hard parts of the design and coding process. Approximately zero are rejected because their name starts with the wrong letter.

Even if there is somebody on the devteam who forgot about the name thing being a joke and is taking it seriously, they've implemented features that were on the official Won't Do list several times. If something comes up that they've previously opposed that is actually done well, they'll change their minds. If they are willing to implement a race that has multiple lives, surely they won't put their foot down just because a god proposal starts with a letter that is already used. Assuming that proposal is actually a good one and somebody else volunteers to implement it, mind you.

all of this, but also we'd probably change the name

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 03:11

PleasingFungus wrote:all of this, but also we'd probably change the name

If the dev team has the option of changing the names of proposed gods, how did we end up with a name like Hepliaklqana on an experimental branch? The only explanation I can think of for a name so hard to pronounce or spell is that the dev team lacked the ability to change it after it was proposed.

For this message the author amalloy has received thanks:
duvessa

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 03:24

amalloy wrote:
PleasingFungus wrote:all of this, but also we'd probably change the name

If the dev team has the option of changing the names of proposed gods, how did we end up with a name like Hepliaklqana on an experimental branch? The only explanation I can think of for a name so hard to pronounce or spell is that the dev team lacked the ability to change it after it was proposed.

RARE DEV SPOTTED
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 03:30

amalloy: Cosmic balance was at stake after creating god for god with easy, even trivially, pronounced names. Hepliaklqana clears the karma debt, tilting the taxonomy scale towards Kikubaaqudgha and Yredelemnul. Players already complained, a rare & bad sign of imminent danger!

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 2
PleasingFungus, Sar

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 12:05

In ultimate crawl, names have been removed as superfluous flavor. Gods are only known by their initials.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 12:15

Ultimate Crawl
Final Crawl
Crawl: Master Vaults

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 15:19

dpeg wrote:amalloy: Cosmic balance was at stake after creating god for god with easy, even trivially, pronounced names. Hepliaklqana clears the karma debt, tilting the taxonomy scale towards Kikubaaqudgha and Yredelemnul. Players already complained, a rare & bad sign of imminent danger!

DUNGEON HAS 4 CORNER
SIMULTANEOUS 4-DEATH
TIME CUBE
IN ONLY 24 TURN ROTATION.
4 CORNER DEATHS, CUBES 4 QUAD DUNGEON- No 1 Death God.
FREE SPEECH on THE TAVERN is
"Bull Shit",
EVIL DEVS
block and suppress
http://crawl.develz.org
You are educated evil,
and might have to kill
the evil WIKI teaching
newbies before you
can learn that 4 corner
deaths actually exist -but
all Luring Truth denied.
Dumb ass devs fear
me and hide from debate.

For this message the author ZipZipskins has received thanks: 3
archaeo, duvessa, PleasingFungus

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2016, 07:54

Sprucery wrote:
lethediver wrote:

Yeah well there's clearly room for a food-related god.

I tried. It didn't get much interest.

You tricked me.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner