What if

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 26th April 2016, 15:26

What if

in your life, if you are just a character, and there is someone hitting "o" over and over again on a cosmic keyboard forcing you to autoexplore your surroundings. Think about it for a minute.

What if the player that controls you forsakes long-term strategic viability for short-term tactical gains? What if they aren't putting experience in the right skills? Perhaps they squander your consumables on non-threats, and you won't have them when you really need them. Perhaps instead they hoard your consumables and you die with something that might have saved your life. What then? Would you not resent your player for playing less than "hypothetically optimally"? When your player can't seem to get you out of student loan debt and they play ten characters in a row and they ALL can't get out of student loan debt, would your player chalk it up to clustering illusion, or, more likely, would they post on the Cosmic Tavern asking if there's been some new update that increases the likelihood of student loan debt?

Should the cosmic devs remove item destruction? What about food?

Nebulous quasi-philosophical replies only please

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 26th April 2016, 15:41

Re: What if

My player won't stop making me drink potions of poison
take it easy

For this message the author Cheibrodos has received thanks:
ZipZipskins

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 26th April 2016, 16:19

change "if" to "is". There, you just learned optimal play.
You shall never see my color again.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 26th April 2016, 17:09

Cheibrodos wrote:My player won't stop making me drink potions of poison

The rest of us just call it "milk" cheibro.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, Cheibrodos, Sar, ZipZipskins

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 26th April 2016, 18:52

I assume whoever was playing got bored a long time ago, and now just has a simple bot play the game. Honestly, all I ever do or think about is "o tab tab tab o e y e y e y q a q b q c q d 5" at that point I'm pretty full and drunk and fall asleep. Then back at it again the next day.

It's probably a cosmic version of qw...

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 26th April 2016, 23:25

ZipZipskins wrote:Would you not resent your player for playing less than "hypothetically optimally"?

consider a 'game' where there is no Orb of Zot, no objective victory conditions, only continued suffering for the sake of survival. In such a 'game,' all decisions are idle whimsy, and all consequences have only the meaning you give them. Pleasure and pain come only from your own perception of this 'game,' and it is the privileging of some things over other things that leads to suffering.

This concludes part one of my report on why CataclysmDDA has failed as a roguelike.
Spoiler: show
Psst, hey kid... you like roguelikes?

For this message the author wizzzargh has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 27th April 2016, 06:55

What if the player that controls you is controlled by another player? What if the character you are playing is controlling his own character?

As wise king Solomon said there is nothing new under the Sun but he didn't play Crawl.
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 27th April 2016, 09:38

Eyesburn wrote:As wise king Solomon said there is nothing new under the Sun but he didn't play Crawl.

Well he was called wise so I thought that was obvious.

For this message the author Zooty has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Sar

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner