tile licence question

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 7th April 2016, 05:58

tile licence question

Are the tiles in this game public domain? I've been working as a software developer for a few years now and have a small game I've made for my portfolio to help market myself. I would like to use some of the Crawl tiles in it because I can't draw very well. Is that OK?

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 7th April 2016, 06:27

Re: tile licence question

Most (but not all) of the tiles have been released by their creators under the CC0 license, allowing other projects to use them. See here for all the relevant information; you can download a big package of all the CC0 tiles there.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 7th April 2016, 10:24

rltiles is public domain

http://rltiles.sourceforge.net/
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 7th April 2016, 13:54

From what I know, crawl used to use many of the tiles listed above, but many many wonderful artists have specifically created tiles for crawl, from monsters to just about everything in Shoals (shit looked funky originally now it's gorgeous).

I don't know how these are licensed, but considering Crawl is an open source game and the royalty-free nature of the tiles they were using before having ones made specifically for it, It would come as a shock if they were off limits for others to use.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner