Closing doors

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 3rd April 2016, 18:40

Closing doors

You should probably be able to do it on an arrow or bolt or stone

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 3rd April 2016, 20:01

Re: Closing doors

Dude. Have you ever even tried to close a door on an arrow, honestly??

For this message the author daggaz has received thanks:
ydeve

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 3rd April 2016, 22:59

People use rocks as doorstoppers. It wouldn't work if rocks didn't stop doors.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 4th April 2016, 00:56

Not being able to close doors on items makes it so the best thing to do is pick up everything that ends up in a doorway (usually after a fight with a ranged attacker) and drop it elsewhere. After all, this turns an open door into basically-floor as far as the heat of battle is concerned. If you're fleeing from a monster that can't open doors and there's junk in the way that blocks off your door slam, it can make the difference between blowing a consumable and not. And as it stands right now, doors also assist in some beneficial but degenerate play, namely shutting a door on an enemy over and over as a form of pillar-dancing. Though, these points aside, it doesn't confer a very big advantage overall, so I don't think it's a huge deal in perspective.

Implementation-wise, I could see closed doors with stuff under them being inverted in console ('+' with white/gray bg and black fg) and having the 'more stuff' corner icon in tiles. I doubt anything in the logic is preventing closed doors with stacks under them from functioning as one would except save for the 'C' check disallowing it and path-to-item not being able to get you directly to something under a door. There are of course edge cases like being able to apport something under a door or using a spell that does stuff to corpses with a corpse under a door (the solution to that is just the trivial 'cause the door to be opened' though.) Well, it's a nice idea, but probably too much work for what it's worth.
limboring→optimal sanity = 0

For this message the author Veras has received thanks: 2
duvessa, ydeve

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 4th April 2016, 00:59

clearly dropping an item on a space containing a door should just destroy the door entirely

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 4th April 2016, 01:10

How about just not allowing players to close doors, ever? I don't think the devteam particularly wants to preserve "door-dancing". You'd have to change vault wardens because this gives players stronger incentive to destroy every door they come across, but that problem exists already, so vault wardens already need a change...

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
crate

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 4th April 2016, 01:31

Doors also create tactics that are good, unlike door-dancing. It would be bad to remove door closing and lose these tactics.
Give doors a chance to break on use. Something like 10%. Yes the vault warden thing is still a problem.

For this message the author Wahaha has received thanks:
Sar

Barkeep

Post Monday, 4th April 2016, 01:44

Vault wardens could just be able to seal doorways, unless the idea is to do away with them altogether.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 4th April 2016, 04:25

They could search for any 1 tile wide passages and seal them off. They're good enemies. Edit: oops you meant do away with doorways, not the wardens..

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 4th April 2016, 05:23

Doors are great and add an interesting dimension to the game. I like being able to lock in unintelligent or handless enemies. I like that other wandering monsters may very well release those enemies later. I like getting a face full of centaur arrows and knowing I can duck behind a door and that sob is going to come over and open it up and get a face full of me, instead.

Its a dumb idea to remove doors simply because there are some edge cases for abuse, which as correctly stated, are of minimal use to the player and punishment in themselves. There are better solutions to than deleting doors entirely:

Make a str check to shut the door again vs a monster that just opened it and is still adjacent. Make a dex check if that succeeds for the monster to jam its foot in and block it anyways. Now Chei is the door god but at least its realistic otherwise and you have a chance to fail.

Give a variable chance to individual objects in a doorway to block the door from closing. From smallest to largest : bullets, arrows + bolts, stones, chunks, large stones, skeletons, corpses, anything else just blocks the door.

Dont allow the door to close over objects. It pushes them out instead in a random direction.

As for vault wardens, they are interesting monsters. The answer to that one is to make them wall off ANY opening within a certain distance, including making an entire magical square enclosure if you encounter them in the open. They should shout "cage match!" right before casting the spell. There should be other guardians that can cast stasis on you as well.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 4th April 2016, 12:58

ydeve wrote:People use rocks as doorstoppers. It wouldn't work if rocks didn't stop doors.

Rocks are literally the prototypical thing people kick away

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 4th April 2016, 13:00

Wahaha wrote:Doors also create tactics that are good, unlike door-dancing. It would be bad to remove door closing and lose these tactics.
Give doors a chance to break on use. Something like 10%. Yes the vault warden thing is still a problem.

Where the hell did the dungeon find its door maker? Was it a deep doorf? Deep doorves ruin everything. DAMAGE SHAVING DOESN'T WORK FOR DOORS GUYS

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner