Resistance-less Race

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 31st March 2016, 03:35

Resistance-less Race

Hypothetical race concept: a race that cannot gain resistances by any means. Probably can't gain vulnerabilities either--enhancer rings would just function as spell enhancers. The race would need magic resistance: either they could gain mr as usual, or they could just be magic immune, in exchange for the cost of playing the game without resistances. Zot would be tough, but doable, I think.

Edit: unsure of how forms would work, in particular lich/statue form. The race would probably need some sort of negative energy/torment resistance for extended to be viable.

For this message the author amaril has received thanks:
johlstei

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 31st March 2016, 05:02

Re: Resistance-less Race

Play a human, discard all resistance equipment you find and tell us how it fares.
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 31st March 2016, 10:11

*shrug* sounds reasonable, though hard. Quite a few damage sources that ignore EV AND AC that you couldn't reduce at all.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 31st March 2016, 11:13

Aside from 3 pips of MR and a pip of rN i never care about resistances on my summoners or blaster casters(though in most cases i end up getting them anyways) and this is usually what happens when i play species with armour restrictions or that lack aux slots. So long at least potion of resistance works for them it should be fine.
You shall never see my color again.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st March 2016, 12:09

I'd rather have a pip of rF than rN, generally speaking. rN might be slightly more useful for extended, but rF is useful there as well as early game. As for MR you could just give them 5 or 6 MR per level and call it a day - they'd have decent but not very good magic resistance, which is what I think you want to aim for - the inability to resist everything is meant to be their drawback.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st March 2016, 14:20

dynast wrote:So long at least potion of resistance works for them it should be fine.

I interpret the OP to mean that !resist would not work for them.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 31st March 2016, 14:39

Yeah, I imagined that !resist wouldn't work--the conduct is supposed to be challenging. Certain uniques (Nikola) might be too dangerous without a way to resist them, but you aren't guaranteed to have !resistance by the time you meet Nikola anyways. The main concern for me is the endgame: I imagine that there would be an atypical increase in zot deaths, which may not be desirable.
tasonir wrote:As for MR you could just give them 5 or 6 MR per level and call it a day - they'd have decent but not very good magic resistance, which is what I think you want to aim for - the inability to resist everything is meant to be their drawback.
I agree with this.
kuniqs wrote:Play a human, discard all resistance equipment you find and tell us how it fares.
Tough, but doable, barring (maybe) Zot, which might require an unusual degree of prep/care to safely complete.

You might mean that the race would need more distinction from other races to be worth including--this race could have exceptionally good aptitudes (an average of +1) to give them a unique 'feel' and make up for the lack of resistances. Or some other feature could be pinned on--an innate escape mechanism, maybe. Simple races are good tho.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 31st March 2016, 17:39

Sounds like yet another race that is actually a god concept in disguise.

Maybe one that converts resistances to AC/EV/SH?
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 31st March 2016, 21:52

If you cant even quaff resistance then this idea is basically playing a game where elements doesnt exist.
You shall never see my color again.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st March 2016, 22:03

3d43 exploding tomahawks

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2016, 21:35

Golems?

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner