New race- Thaumlings (evoke conduct)

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 30th March 2016, 16:40

New race- Thaumlings (evoke conduct)

Thaumlings are tall, slender beings that practically crackle with magical energy. They can be extremely powerful magic users, but have difficulty controlling their energy and focusing on most fields of magic.

Innate weirdnesses:
Level 7: Wild Magic 1
Level 15: Wild Magic 2
Level 27: Wild Magic 3

Using a rod burns all of its charges and gives it -1 enchantment (wear and tear on the rod)
Using a wand destroys the wand but acts as MP-powered wands 3
Using an elemental evokable burns it out entirely and is removed from your inventory.

Stealth-- (slightly glowing and crackling at all times, not enough for full halo effect though)

Mutation explanations- Both magic usage and wand usage is more bursty- they get more MP than average, but with a higher miscast rate they also need the extra MP.

+1 STR/INT/DEX every fourth level.
Average HP
20% more MP than average
+5 MR per level

Apts:
Fighting 0
Short Blades 0
Long Blades 0
Axes 0
Maces & Flails 0
Polearms 0
Staves 0
Unarmed Combat 0

Throwing 0
Slings 0
Bows 0
Crossbows 0

Armour 0
Dodging +2
Stealth: -2
Shields 0

Fire Magic -2
Ice Magic -2
Air Magic -2
Earth Magic -2
Poison Magic -2

Spellcasting +2
Conjurations -2
Hexes -2
Charms +2
Summoning -2
Necromancy -2
Translocations +2
Transmutations +2

Invocations +1
Evocations +3

Experience -1
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

For this message the author TeshiAlair has received thanks:
Airwolf

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 30th March 2016, 19:05

Re: New race- Thaumlings (evoke conduct)

Looks pretty good actually. Why conj-2? Conj+2 and fighting-2, transmutation-2 if anything. Lots of transmutation races in the game already.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 30th March 2016, 20:52

There are so many conj+ races in this game, and also plenty of frail mages. I'd agree with making transmutations -2, that was more semi-flavor than anything else, and I am in the camp of flat apts make for more interesting playspace for new races.

In general, I do like the Ogre trait of "i can learn a lot of spells but suck at using them" and I feel this is a bit less drastic approach to that without all the other baggage that comes with Ogres.

Final thought- just realized that Nemelex and Pakellas need to be dealt with. I don't think Pakellas would mind blowing up wands, after all they are a god of experimentation, and experiments do come with some collateral damage, and I think wand gifts + one use wands is a sufficiently interesting combination.

With Nemelex, I think the cards are more in the camp of evokables like bag of spiders than the camp of "this is a charged magical item where you release its power" so I don't think it'd require special casing.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 30th March 2016, 21:10

I thought the point was to give negative aptitudes to schools biased towards wild magic being desirable, like conjurations.
Transmuting characters tend to be hurt by wild magic, therefore they get better aptitudes to compensate, making a variety of builds viable, but differently viable.
I'm not sure I agree with the "Mutation explanations": you'd just get lower-level spells to a low miscast rate, and be satisfied with their lower level, because they're more powerful. Since they're lower level, they use less MP. So you don't need a higher MP reservoir for spells, and if anything, you can make do with a smaller one.
1-use wands may work with an accompanying change to how wands work such as my proposal; ditto re elemental evokables.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 31st March 2016, 01:24

On the circus animals fork, the halfling has the same wild magic 1,2,3 mutations. It's quite an interesting way to play.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 31st March 2016, 13:12

Really like it, and I think it's reasonably balanced and not too complex. I would say it is favored for mage builds at the moment and I agree with HardboiledGargoyle, being able to cast your lower level damage spells with a damage boost is going to make them pretty mana efficient, so you can tone down the +MP.

I'd say something like +10% or even +0% mana, and then maybe bump up their weapon skills to +1? Gives them a bit more reason to play melee, hopefully without raising the overall power level too much (for example, you wouldn't want to do something like +10% hp to encourage melee because it'd boost mages just as much). A higher armor aptitude might encourage melee a bit more as well, maybe balance their armor/dodging at +1 each?

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 31st March 2016, 13:17

tasonir wrote:Really like it, and I think it's reasonably balanced and not too complex. I would say it is favored for mage builds at the moment and I agree with HardboiledGargoyle, being able to cast your lower level damage spells with a damage boost is going to make them pretty mana efficient, so you can tone down the +MP.

I'd say something like +10% or even +0% mana, and then maybe bump up their weapon skills to +1? Gives them a bit more reason to play melee, hopefully without raising the overall power level too much (for example, you wouldn't want to do something like +10% hp to encourage melee because it'd boost mages just as much). A higher armor aptitude might encourage melee a bit more as well, maybe balance their armor/dodging at +1 each?

I feel like that would bias them towards being played like a High Elf, except not bad. I like hyper powered mid-game mage with light melee incorporation. I do like the 10% HP/MP increase, however, I agree, and I do like encouraging a hands on mage.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 31st March 2016, 17:35

Yeah and with the higher Spellcasting apt, the MP per level is less important.

I still want to keep the melee stats flat, the exp rate isn't terrible so they'll be able to compensate. Maybe +1 dodging since their description is that they are pretty lithe.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner