Conjure Ball Lightning to Lvl 5

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 28th March 2016, 17:57

Conjure Ball Lightning to Lvl 5

CBL has killed every character I have ever learned/used it on, so +1 for it being in crawl. Maybe if we move it down to lvl 5 it will kill more players.

[From this thread.]

Edit: Even better, move it to lvl 5 and swap it with lightning bolt in the starting AE book.

For this message the author edgefigaro has received thanks:
Abominae

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 28th March 2016, 20:01

Re: Conjure Ball Lightning to Lvl 5

I have had a very small number of chars use cbl effectively without death, but there is certainly nearly always a less risky option...

Providing a spell which is highly situational, and comes with even more risk than lightning bolt in a starting book doesn't sound great to me, it would be like adding necromutation to the necro starting book.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 28th March 2016, 20:15

I just want to point out that Lightning Bolt deals 1d131 at max power, while CBL deals 3d23 per ball at max. CBL deals less, but more bell-curved damage which is an exception for the lightning spells group. Not to mention you get more than 1 ball-per-cast, and that the explosion always hits whatever it engulfs.
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 28th March 2016, 20:20

if you use cbl to kill pointblank creatures you deserve to die. Leave exploding yourself to professional black draconians, please.
You shall never see my color again.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2016, 01:46

If you want to change cbl I would suggest just making it always have the small-size explosion, since the squarelos changes significantly increased the size of the larger one relative to the player los.

It doesn't need any other changes imo.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2016, 02:06

Don't use CBL unless you have rElec. Staff of Air is probably the best source of that since it also enhances it...

Similarly; don't use Chain Lightning unless you have rElec.

And don't let Lightning Bolts bounce so they can hit you, unless you have rElec.

(If you play with lightning, you're going to get shocked; have rElec).

CBL doesn't NEED changed, but it's very similar to Ozocubu's Refrigeration in terms of actual use IMHO. Even has a form that makes it safe to use (Ice Form for Ozo's; Statue Form for CBL; though Statue + CBL requires having level 6's in 4 separate spell schools so it's that practical generally).
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2016, 02:07

I only used it significantly in one game. The way I used it was point-blank or short-range. I don't think that reducing the size of the explosions is necessarily a buff, could be a nerf depending on how it's used. From my limited experience I found that attempting to not get hit by the balls results in few balls hitting the target (1 or 2 at best) and it's a waste of time and mana. Using it in close range and in a small room results in much better and fairly reliable damage, which makes the spell sometimes useful.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2016, 02:09

Pre-squarelos you could use it quite safely without relec (they have spore AI, they don't wander randomly any more). It's a lot harder now since the explosions are so much bigger.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2016, 04:33

kuniqs wrote:I just want to point out that Lightning Bolt deals 1d131 at max power

Wow!

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2016, 13:35

Better fix: buff CBL by making balls sinv and making them explode when next to a target, not in range of them.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2016, 13:48

Sar wrote:
kuniqs wrote:I just want to point out that Lightning Bolt deals 1d131 at max power

Wow!

Is it at all practical to have max power on lightning bolt? What kind of int/conj/air would you need to accomplish that?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2016, 14:54

dowan wrote:
Sar wrote:

Wow!

Is it at all practical to have max power on lightning bolt? What kind of int/conj/air would you need to accomplish that?

Its practical to have max power on lighting bolt, its not practical to use it though, since you have other air spells that cant miss.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2016, 16:16

Good spellpower LBolt is pretty accurate IME.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2016, 16:27

High power lightning bolt is insane midgame. It's basically DEAE / TEWz's bread and butter.

It's accurate enough that it hits most things; very few things resist electricity completely enough to not be destroyed by it (even gargoyes, ancient liches, curse skulls and angels can be gimped with hard enough zaps), and it penetrates to LOS range by 7#s of power (and isn't hindered when it does hit things). It is king among bolt spells, especially when not following Vehumet.

The damage is spiky enough to tear through even the mightiest AC, and resistances are damned by it; and if you have position at your side, doublezaps make it the single highest single-target damage dealing effect in the game (besides Chain lightning).

Lbolt slaughters Cerebov (and used to slaughter most panlords until they were given more rElec), but so do most Air spells (besides Airstrike).

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2016, 16:44

It's also probably worth noting that Elec attacks halve AC and that you can still multizap it.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2016, 18:24

Only some elec attacks and I don't think lightning bolt is among of those. Yeah spoilery, some good players should know about that.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2016, 20:51

dynast wrote:if you use cbl to kill pointblank creatures you deserve to die. Leave exploding yourself to professional black draconians, please.

OOO! I killed myself with black draconian breath once! I even had an entry in learndb for it for a while before it got deleted =p

Does that make me a professional?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2016, 21:17

prozacelf wrote:
dynast wrote:if you use cbl to kill pointblank creatures you deserve to die. Leave exploding yourself to professional black draconians, please.

OOO! I killed myself with black draconian breath once! I even had an entry in learndb for it for a while before it got deleted =p

Does that make me a professional?

Dunno, how many creatures did you take with you?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 30th March 2016, 01:53

Depends on how we're defining it. I killed one or two boggarts but I was also surrounded by all the shadow creatures they'd summoned, which would put it more around a dozen or so if we count them.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th March 2016, 02:25

nago wrote:Only some elec attacks and I don't think lightning bolt is among of those. Yeah spoilery, some good players should know about that.
Lightning bolt is one of them, along with shock and cbl.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner