Challenge: Unique Petting Zoo

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 16:33

Challenge: Unique Petting Zoo

I've had this idea for a while and decided it would be more fun if it was a community challenge rather than something I attempted by myself. I don't think it's been done before, correct me if it has.

The challenge is this: Gather as many Unique enemies as possible on a floor of the dungeon (or temple, or lair, or whatever). You get points based on how many uniques total you have on the same floor. Each unique has it's own point value, with more dangerous uniques having more points, and early game uniques having less. Some that are more dangerous/more likely to kill other uniques during the gathering process are possibly worth more points (azrael, menkaure, fannar off the top of my head). Extremely rare uniques like Tiamat, Enchantress, Ignacio, Dissolution, Murray, Khufu, etc. should be worth more points, but not in such a way that getting a lucky Unique spawn breaks the scoring system entirely.

This requires players to firstly not kill, or kill as few uniques as possible, and kite them all to a single floor or location. Trying to avoid having all the uniques roast each other during the herding process could present some interesting interactions.

Questions, comments, suggestions welcome (not from gammafunk though he thinks the idea is stupid). I think the whole kerfuffle sounds like jolly fun but I've had terrible ideas in the past, so I'd like to know what the tavern thinks.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 17:18

Re: Challenge: Unique Petting Zoo

You would want to gather them on M:6 because TRJ can't leave that floor...but weak uniques could die to acid walls...

Question: If you send TRJ to the abyss, can it follow you back into the dungeon?
Comborobin Admin

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 17:25

I think there should be bonus points if you can cram them all into an isolated small vault (like one of the altar vaults with only stairs down in early D) so that there is no room to move after taking the stairs.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 18:06

xentronium wrote:You would want to gather them on M:6 because TRJ can't leave that floor...but weak uniques could die to acid walls...

Question: If you send TRJ to the abyss, can it follow you back into the dungeon?

That... is a good question. Kiting all your uniques into slime is totally out of the question unless you dug out the entirety of slime. Oh geez.

It would be funnier to cram them into a tiny place, but you'd have terrible issues with them all killing each other, I would think. What if you teleport-othered them into an inaccessible glass room!?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 18:44

Why in the world do you list menkharewhatever as "dangerous and likely to kill other uniques"???

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 18:49

There's a late game vault that specifically spawns a bunch of uniques that haven't generated but are too easy for you at that point in the game, so a few players have already got a head start!!!

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 19:12

daggaz wrote:Why in the world do you list menkharewhatever as "dangerous and likely to kill other uniques"???

Torment, which makes other uniques throwing spells haphazardly more dangerous. I don't think Menkaure cares about what torment hits.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 19:40

The Enchantress is not a specifically rare unique though.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 21:17

Piginabag wrote:unless you dug out the entirety of slime.
This brings up a problem with this challenge: you'd just complete it after you've completed the post game and have time to farm/naturally have access to basically unlimited resources, making the real challenge one of avoiding uniques while completing the main game. Which, to be fair, might not be a terrible challenge 'conduct.'

edit. maybe that's the point though (post-endgame herding exercise). whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2016, 22:03

Piginabag wrote:What if you teleport-othered them into an inaccessible glass room!?
some are magic-immune so you can't tele-other them. But, they can use permanent teleport traps, and if they try to sidestep the traps you can force-lance them in. If a glass room is not available you can use fedhas to create deep water to make an island. That leaves flying and swimming and wading uniques that can cross the island and get to you: not counting pan/hell uniques, these are azrael, donald, ilsuiw, lernaean hydra, mennas, polyphemus, sojobo, tiamat, xtahua, which the player might be able to handle wandering around, since e.g. azrael has only 40 MR. Also, roxanne can't move, and apparently monsters can't open runed doors like on Elf:2, but some uniques can destroy the environment. Zot:5 might be a neat place for this, for its indestructible walls, tele traps (just surround the unwanted ones with a ring of deep water)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 24th March 2016, 07:27

How about Lugonu-banishing them to the Abyss?

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 16th April 2016, 04:41

The last time I worshiped Jivya I had a game where I would slimify all the uniques instead of killing them. It probably left me under-leveled but having Sigmund the slime eat items for you was great.
"Crawl is cruel. But we keep coming back to it like an abusive boyfriend. It keeps telling us how it will be different this time by giving us early robes of the archmagi and staves of fire. Then it backhands you with a Centaur on D4." ~Me

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 17th April 2016, 03:19

Each unique is worth a number of points equal to the number of player kills it has credited to it in 0.17 and 0.18? Might need a "average depth" multiplier so the earlier uniques aren't favorited. Like total kills * 1.1^depth ?
remove handsome distillation

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 17th April 2016, 23:48

I will PM a nude picture of myself to whoever dies to me in-game the most times during May. Only games on official Crawl servers count.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 18th April 2016, 00:48

Come on, like those pics aren't already all over the internet https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19586

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 18th April 2016, 00:56

I don't mean the tile geez, I'm talking about a real picture of me, a naked elf, in real life

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 24th June 2016, 03:55

just an update, tstbtto won. it doesn't have a tavern account though so i can't send the pics

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 24th June 2016, 05:43

Oh wow, you knew that a bot will win. Smart.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 24th June 2016, 06:03

i didn't know that

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 24th June 2016, 06:45

I'll take them.
take it easy

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner