God of Gluttony

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 24th March 2016, 02:48

God of Gluttony

Just some ideas I'm kicking around which were spawned by some other ideas a friend was kicking around. The idea is to have a god who incentivizes you to eat everything, laze around, and so on. A god to make early-/mid-game more forgiving for Felids and Kobolds, whose natural ability to get Engorged is nice, but not much of an advantage at present. And, finally, a god who makes otherwise-useless items (such as equipment and ammo) useful as food.
Input is very welcome! I'm just posting brainstormage here.

Cheers :)

Basic Ideas:
- give a reason to eat/use permafood before the endgame
- make being engorged, and the ability to get there, mean something other than "you don't have to eat for a longer period of time and can cast a few more spells"
- make hunger an actual hindrance & make hunger-drainers a more direct threat
- have a god with a personality who isn't Xom
- make already-existing items useful in more ways

Altar:
a platter with a roast chicken on it (or a turkey leg, like you'd see in side-scrolling beat-'em-up games)

Restrictions:
no Mu/Va (can't eat)

Faith:
- Gain Piety by resting, staying Engorged, offering tasty sacrifices, and by trying many types of 'food'
- Incur penance for making more than 3 stashes on a floor, falling into Near Starving or Starving, offering a boring or subpar sacrifice, or not resting enough
- Incur wrath for flying, letting monsters devour items, Starving, withholding pizza as a sacrifice, offering chunks of flesh as a sacrifice, or drinking potions of experience

Traits:
- Get stats/HP/Stealth reinforced for being a good junk food junkie
- Get abilities but have to pay for them by tactically managing hunger and/or penance
- This god is a fat fatty fatterton who eats vicariously through you, the adventurer. Its function is to enable you to eat more and laze around more while becoming as efficient and tacticool as possible with your dungeon-delving culinary adventures.
- This god asks for a tasty sacrifice every 500-3000 turns; you must offer it your finest "food". Its tastes could be generated each game, with it whispering to you about the THINGS it would like to EAT. It likes variety, so don't give it the same thing over and over. You can offer a known potion of poison or a known potion of degeneration as a sacrifice if you haven't already.

Piety Ranks & Abilities:
Snackolyte [*.....]
Innate: You now take (XL) times as long to eat, but heal HP directly from eating as if you were a Ghoul. If you heal any HP this way, you become Slow and Exhausted as if you'd just berserked.
Innate: You now get free SH equal to (0.5 + [Invocations / 2]).

Taste Tester [**....]
Innate: You have Gourm+ and can become Engorged from chunks. If you allow yourself to become Very Hungry or worse, your Max HP degenerates rapidly, only returning some time after you've been Engorged.
Innate: If awakened by enemy attack, you automatically berserk. This makes you Very Hungry if you weren't already and supersedes clarity.
* Ability #1: Once per ([28 - XL] * 100) turns, you can devour a mundane item (ammunition, scroll, edible, etc.).

Platterfingers [***...]
Innate: Potions of poison behave as potions of ambrosia. Potions of degeneration behave as potions of beneficial mutation. (considering removing this bit)
* Ability #2: Once per ([30 - XL] * 100) turns, you can devour a stash of gold to Engorge yourself and heal (XL)% HP. The stash must contain at least [(XL^2) * 5] gold, or it will be ineffective.

Journeymaw [****..]
Innate: Your Max HP is bolstered by Piety as if you had extra ranks in Fighting equal to (Piety / 100).
* Ability #3: Once per ([32 - XL] * 100) turns, you can devour weapons and armour, stripping them of any positive enchantments they had. For every +1 of enchantment on the weapon or armour, you have an (Invocations)% chance to receive a scroll of enchant weapon or armour, respectively. If you devour (an) item(s) with total enchantment +4 or greater, you have a (total enchantment * 5%) chance of randomly mutating.

Ravenous [*****.]
* Ability #4: Once per ([34 - XL] * 100) turns, you can devour a book, wand, or staff. This restores (Invocations * 2)% MP and contaminates you heavily.

Prime Palate [******]
* Ability #5: Once per ([36 - XL] * 100) turns, you can devour an evokable item. This evokes the item as if you had 27 in Evocations and contaminates you heavily.
And you think you're capable of finding the ORB? I had it, you know. Then I gave it away so I could steal it AGAIN.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 24th March 2016, 03:39

Re: God of Gluttony

...this god is FAR more negative than positive, you understand that?
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 24th March 2016, 03:51

Yeah, it still seems that way. It's supposed to support your stats like Chei without slowing you down, while also making you tankier. Kind of a 'generalist' god that doesn't really support any one build over the others, or just one to take for a challenge. Some of the gods I've played with seemed pointless or really build-oriented, and this is also trying to put a more useful spin on that. Consider Gozag: serve him as a Spriggan Wizard and you're likely to starve, with very few ways ingame to counteract this, all of them late-game spells or items. This guy lets you stop worrying about food after a fashion, at the cost of having to share your gains.
This sprang from a friend's idea of 'a snorlax god'. Something that makes you tough to kill and gives you utility. It makes hunger matter more, but you get supported for dealing with it.
Any idea what would make it more competitive?
And you think you're capable of finding the ORB? I had it, you know. Then I gave it away so I could steal it AGAIN.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th March 2016, 04:29

bcadren wrote:...this god is FAR more negative than positive, you understand that?
he'll fit in perfectly with the last few new gods, then

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 25th March 2016, 11:00

Who wants to be handed a victory? We have Trog and Okawaru for that. Lots of people (including me) like Xom, but find him too unpredictable to be relied on. So I tried to think up a god that has big pros and cons, supports more playstyles, and doesn't just do what some other god does. I thought about some kind of 'massive regen' ability and using units of satiation like MP to fuel abilities, but it seemed really overpowered after I thought it out.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 25th March 2016, 15:08

Keep in mind, consuming everything on the floor was a conduit other gods used to have(ely destroying weapons, nemelex accepting any trash on the ground) and was removed for a good reason. This god falls into a roleplaying if not a degenerative playstyle.
You shall never see my color again.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner