Poll: Would you like an additional subforum in The Tavern?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Would you like an additional subforum in The Tavern?

Poll ended at Thursday, 17th March 2016, 09:57

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 20

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 12th March 2016, 09:57

Poll: Would you like an additional subforum in The Tavern?

In the past we had some discussions about creating a new subforum in The Tavern. The main idea is to split Crazy Yiuf's Corner into

• more serious topics - "General Crawl Discussion" (Blade) could be a new name
  • less serious and off-topic ideas - this could keep the name Crazy Yiuf's Corner
There are two topics about this: Proposal: split "Crazy Yiuf's Corner" (Oct 2013) and Potential for a "General Crawl Discussion" subforum (Feb 2016).

Technically it would be easy to create a new subforum. I'm still in favour of this idea and will vote for yes. However, I'll give you arguments for both sides which I picked up from Blade's recent topic.

PRO:

Blade wrote:[...] it seems like it would be helpful to have a subforum titled "General Crawl Discussion" or something similar.

Right now, there are basically four areas served by the forum:
1. Receive or dispense advice (Dungeon Crawling advice, CiP)
2. Voice opinions about game design (GDD)
3. Mini-tournaments (The Dart Board)
4. General fluff and low-effort posts (CYC)

Technically, everything that doesn't fit in 1-3 can be lumped into the category of CYC. That subforum has several clear problems for any sort of serious discussion, though. The name "Crazy Yiuf's Corner" does not lend itself to high-quality posting. Finding quality there is a crapshoot: There are some good threads, but they're diluted by a lot of others.

Because of this, I'm inclined not to post a lot on Tavern [...]

CONTRA:

archaeo wrote:[...] I think the mod team would generally prefer to tweak existing subforums instead of adding a new one. There's not much enthusiasm for a general "off-topic" section, and pulling the Crawl out of CYC would give us one. Furthermore, I'm skeptical that a "GCD" would really generate better discussion, unless it was moderated to the point it might as well be GDD.

Currently, all the topics proposed in the OP either are in CYC already or would be well received there. It's possible that a better description for the subforum would help, as well as a clarification of GDD's place as a discussion forum and not strictly a proposal forum. What would make a bigger difference is if people would post the kind of content they want to see, and reply to content they're interested in seeing more of. I'll also remind everyone that CYC isn't unmoderated, and using the report button or PMing an active mod is totally appropriate if you think a good discussion is getting derailed and would benefit from splitting a topic or moving posts.
Last edited by Turukano on Thursday, 17th March 2016, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 12th March 2016, 15:19

Re: Poll: Would you like an additional subforum in The Taver

I think we need a "Lair" subforum, a place where all the poisonous statements, drowning arguments and corrosive memes are moved to.
You shall never see my color again.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 12th March 2016, 16:01

FR new subforum: The Ecumenical Temple. For discussion of real world politics and religion.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 12th March 2016, 18:10

this is the best idea ever

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 12th March 2016, 18:32

Rast wrote:FR new subforum: The Ecumenical Temple. For discussion of real world politics and religion.

We have webtiles for that.
You shall never see my color again.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 12th March 2016, 20:37

dynast wrote:I think we need a "Lair" subforum, a place where all the poisonous statements, drowning arguments and corrosive memes are moved to.

This is already here, but it's the moderator's private subforum. If things get too poisonous, drowning, or corrosive, no matter the subforum, hit the report button.

Otherwise, I just don't think a new "tier" of seriousness would actually change much beyond pure organization.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 13th March 2016, 15:59

wait what's a report button

Barkeep

Post Monday, 14th March 2016, 01:56

On the off chance you're not joking, Zip, it's the little exclamation point button there in the lower right.

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 14th March 2016, 09:14

I looked for more reasons why we could want another, more serious subforum for everything else. CYC contains a large variety of topics, and I found there are a lot which are serious and could be split from CYC:

Supporters of a new subforum are welcome to add more.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2016, 15:08

archaeo wrote:On the off chance you're not joking, Zip, it's the little exclamation point button there in the lower right.

it WAS a pretty off chance to be fair

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner