What's with the DgWn meme?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 8th March 2016, 18:43

What's with the DgWn meme?

Gaius, was DgWn a racist joke? I thought it was just a strange meme about regional preferences.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th March 2016, 21:26

Re: AMCA(ask my community anything) - Korean Roguelike Galle

Lasty wrote:Gaius, was DgWn a racist joke? I thought it was just a strange meme about regional preferences.
It started as a racist joke, and became a racist joke that is also a strange meme.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th March 2016, 00:26

I don't think there was anything racist about the DgWn joke. There was a certain group of Japanese players who played on cszo before lld existed, and they played the combo some and thought it strong. Ayutzia, a newer (at the time) american player observed and chatted with them. Perhaps something was lost in the language barrier or they were simply messing with him a bit, but he genuinely believed at the time they thought it to be a (demi-) god combo.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 9th March 2016, 01:55

Y'know y'all, whatever the actual story of the dgwn meme or the intentions of the people involved, if a korean player suggests it felt kinda racist to him and other korean players, maybe you should just respect that. Especially if the point of this thread is to build some friendly exchange between our online communities.

And thanks, gaius, for doing this!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th March 2016, 01:59

it was a reddit comment, so i just assumed it was racist because that's generally a safe bet

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 9th March 2016, 02:28

There is no tendency on playing DgWn in japan.
DgWn is a joking and challenging combo.
That player you have ever seen just played joking char and said joke "Oh, DgWn is a pretty smart combo, because I can win with that combo".

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 9th March 2016, 05:00

Actually I liked that joke, but I asked you not to make one because 1. I was kinda worried that this post would become a racist joke bandwagon. 2. Some of us might feel butthurt about it.

So can we please go back to original topic?

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner