Do we need to make Monster rAcid more common?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 16:40

Do we need to make Monster rAcid more common?

I don't have a specific proposal as to what should and shouldn't resist acid, but now that a wand of acid exists it might be worth considering making more monsters resistant to the stuff, since it's currently virtually non-elemental damage that's not that uncommon to get. [Currently only J's (except Ooze and Slime Creature) and Oklob Plants are immune (rAcid+++), while Yellow Draconians and (creatures with rCorr rings/artifacts) are the only things that resist it (rAcid+), nothing strongly resists it (rAcid++)].

Do note there is a second kind of rAcid out there other than actually being rAcid. Immaterial creatures take full normal damage from acid, but they are immune to corrosion (it can't stick to them).

[This is a question for discussion. Not a specific proposal as to what should and shouldn't resist acid. To that end, perhaps keep discussion as to if Acid resist should be more common or not and not splitting hairs about which creatures it should or shouldn't affect.]
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 18:20

Re: Do we need to make Monster rAcid more common?

I think it's fine - a wand is still an extremely limited consumable for most characters, and having a wand that works against most monsters isn't a bad thing.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 18:30

Seems fine to me as well, conjurations are also non-elemental so there is precedence and the wand doesn't seem too powerfull.
aka: Innameasone and electricaloddity

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 19:00

This would make yellow draconians even worse...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 19:31

I assumed this was pretty much the point of the wand.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 22:12

only maybe extend rAcid to creatures that players may be surprised to learn don't have it, such as slime creatures and entropy weavers

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 22:44

sounds like a good idea

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 23:10

HardboiledGargoyle wrote:only maybe extend rAcid to creatures that players may be surprised to learn don't have it, such as slime creatures and entropy weavers
I remember being surprised that Efreets and Balrugs don't have rHellfire (not that they should). Mostly only things that use Hellfire have rHellfire, period. Other (normal) fire-flavoured demons just don't. No non-demon has it and 3/8 boss hell/pan lords don't. Unsure if random pan lords can have it.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 23:21

A lot more monsters used to have rHellfire until this patch, which limits it to monster who actually use hellfire and Cerebov: http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a=commit;h=5719e887c91eff5a90ede6ed321b915a0114c7d0

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 8th March 2016, 13:29

Sar wrote:A lot more monsters used to have rHellfire until this patch, which limits it to monster who actually use hellfire and Cerebov: http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a=commit;h=5719e887c91eff5a90ede6ed321b915a0114c7d0
Well that patch made the Staff of Dispater borderline broken. (not that I'm complaining).

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th March 2016, 20:25

By the time you can get staff of Dispater your character is probably borderline broken anyway.

However, it was quite a buff to Hellfire! Because every game should have a kick-ass rocket launcher.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 8th March 2016, 20:28

My personal take is that wand of acid was indirectly a Pakellas buff, since it gives you a powerful renewable ranged damage source that mostly doesn't care about resistances/immunities. Though, honestly, you can just go Trog and train Throwing for just as much renewable, immunity-agnostic damage.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner