DCSS Perler Bead Crafts

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 10th January 2016, 21:22

DCSS Perler Bead Crafts

Hey guys!

If I should be posting this to CYC instead of here, please let me know and I'll delete/repost (or just move the topic, whatever is best). (Mod edit: moved from Contributions to CYC)

I'm new to the forums but definitely not to Crawl. This is such a fun (and addictive) game that I decided I'd try my hand at creating some perler bead designs for them. Please take a look at my first one (predictably, Sigmund) located at https://www.etsy.com/listing/263348648/ ... e_active_1

I'd love to hear some questions, comments, and/or suggestions on this. I'm also open to making custom designs. As long as the tile is under Creative Commons it should be fine for me to make and sell.

For this message the author koboldina has received thanks: 8
all before, archaeo, chequers, dynast, TehDruid, TeshiAlair, Tranquil Suit, ZipZipskins

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 15th January 2016, 06:09

Re: DCSS Perler Bead Crafts

koboldina wrote:Hey guys!

If I should be posting this to CYC instead of here, please let me know and I'll delete/repost (or just move the topic, whatever is best).

I'm new to the forums but definitely not to Crawl. This is such a fun (and addictive) game that I decided I'd try my hand at creating some perler bead designs for them. Please take a look at my first one (predictably, Sigmund) located at https://www.etsy.com/listing/263348648/ ... e_active_1

I'd love to hear some questions, comments, and/or suggestions on this. I'm also open to making custom designs. As long as the tile is under Creative Commons it should be fine for me to make and sell.

This is cool! I was going to comment on your reddit post on /r/dcss, but didn't have anything other to add aside from requests. I guess kobold demonologist are somewhat obscure as a monster, so you might consider a unique kobold like Pikel or Sonja, but of course that's just me armchair perling (perlering?)!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 15th January 2016, 15:51

Love it!!!

I'd love to see a Gastronok or a Mennas, I feel they have fairly distinct sprites and are pretty iconic.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th January 2016, 21:18

Gastronok would be a pretty cool one. There's also a splash screen with it, if you want a higher resolution interpretation of it. But the final bead design would probably be better off low-res, as beads are pretty low res themselves.

How strong are these? I've got some pre-existing nails in my walls, could I hook one to a wall? Not sure how the best way to attach it would be, I assume the beads aren't large enough to slip a nail head through.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th January 2016, 22:17

tasonir wrote:Not sure how the best way to attach it would be, I assume the beads aren't large enough to slip a nail head through.

We just use Blu-Tack (or whatever that is in English) for the pieces of art my kids have produced (nothing Crawl-related so far unfortunately :) ).
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 16th January 2016, 05:18

+1 on Gastronok and Mennas.

I would also like to see a bead art of Nemelex and Ashenzari's altar tiles. (http://crawl.chaosforge.org/File:Ashenzari_altar.png)(http://crawl.chaosforge.org/File:Nemelex_altar.png)

I plan on buying one of these once I see one I particularly like, just so you know. :)
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 16th January 2016, 07:37

Image Image
PUNS PUNS PUNS PUNS PUNS PUNS PUNS PUNS PUNS PUNS PUNS PUNS PUNS PUNS PUNS PUNS
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 19th January 2016, 05:39

uh how is that a pun it isn't PERL dragon armour even

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 19th January 2016, 05:45

If you manage to make a Dissolution perler I'll be impressed!

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 18th February 2016, 19:34

Hey guys!

Lom Lobon is finally available. More Pan lords to come! Here he is:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/268755677/ ... =related-0

For this message the author koboldina has received thanks: 2
chequers, TehDruid

Eringya's Employee

Post Friday, 19th February 2016, 16:05

When the Sigmund tile eventually changes, there will be some hipster saying that they own your Sigmund and how he's so much more superior to the new Sigmund. :P
I wish I could get one (or ten!) of these for my fridge but I don't live in the US and even if you were to do international shipping, it is not my favorite method of buying stuff, too much of a hassle. I guess I'll just have to keep looking at them. Boo hoo. I've looked up buying Perler beads online cause I wanted to get into it, but I didn't seem to find any that could ship to Greece at the time and stores here don't seem to sell them.

Keep up the good work! I also vote for Gastronok, I already have a t-shirt with a print of him that a guy drew. :D
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 22nd February 2016, 19:44

Any common stores to find Perler beads at? Going to try to pick some up after work, you've inspired me :D
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 22nd February 2016, 19:49

My wife picks them up at hobby lobby or michaels, better selection and pricing online, but sometimes she just needs something particular right now.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 6th March 2016, 18:15

TeshiAlair wrote:Any common stores to find Perler beads at? Going to try to pick some up after work, you've inspired me :D

I actually usually order my stuff online. I'm hoping to make a lot of these and I find the cheapest place to buy them is directly from perler's website. I recommend only using perler beads and, if you need more colors, hama beads - the other knockoff brands out there do not seem to melt as well/evenly and come out looking bad.

Also, I wanted to drop in and let everyone know I've got seven items on there now. Gastronok, Cerebov, Lom Lobon, Yiuf, Duvessa, a kobold demonologist, and Sigmund:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KoboldinaBead ... _leftnav_3

Gloorx is almost done and I'm also putting out a full set of "mini pan lords" soon since I realized that some pan lords (looking at you, Cerebov) are actually pretty gigantic.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner