Another Large Magic-Using Race Attempt

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 25th February 2016, 01:16

Another Large Magic-Using Race Attempt

Nephilim [Np] (Race)

Flavour: Giant and stealthy, cave-dwelling nephilim stick to the shadows and are very versatile in general.

Weirdness/Mutations:

• Nightstalker (Alt) - The LoS reduction of Nightstalker III, no stealth boost.
  • High Base Stealth - Stealth Skill boosts sneak more than humans (on par with vampires).
  • Large Size - You are as large as a Ogre. (May use Giant (Spiked) Clubs and throw large rocks). Hats, Robes, Dragon Armour and Cloaks as only armour slots.
  • Blood Magic - Race has no MP. Casts from HP, instead.
  • Giant Bite - Base (1 + XL/3) auxiliary attack.
  • Supernaturally Acute Eyesight - SInv.
  • Devour - You eat enemies killed in melee directly. (Heals you by 2dHD and adds nutrition similar to number of chunks the monster would create if butchered.)
  • Daze - Bright lights greatly lower your accuracy (Acc- during Halo, while under the effect of Corona, after being hit by fire without rF+ or higher.)
  • Cold Affinity - rF- rC+.

Stats:

10 STR, 8 INT, 10 DEX; Gain 1 STR/DEX every 3rd level.

God-Restrictions:

You can’t follow the shining one (you hate the light).

Aptitudes:

Code:
Np: Fighting: 1, Short: -2, Long: -1, Axes: 2!, Maces: 1, Polearms: 1, Staves: 2!, Slings: 1, Bows: -1, Xbows: -1, Throw: 1!, Armour: -1, Dodge: 1, Stealth: 4, Shields: 0, UC: 1!, Splcast: -2, Conj: -1, Hexes: 3, Charms: -2, Summ: -2*, Nec: 1, Tloc: 3, Tmut: 1, Fire: -3*, Ice: 2!, Air: -1, Earth: 1, Poison: 1, Inv: -1, Evo: -1, Exp: -1, HP: 3!, MP: N/A
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 25th February 2016, 04:58

Re: Another Large Magic-Using Race Attempt

Daze sounds more complicated than it's worth even if it's thematic. I think you piled on a few too many items on that list, even if they sound cool individually. I'd probably get rid of giant bite, blood magic, and the healing part of devour. In exchange let them stab properly with long blades and/or polearms. I'm not really a fan of the starting resistance/malus thing either, the game doesn't seem all that well balanced for that. It seems a shame to have them be so suited for hexes and stealth and not have a good aptitude for stabbing weapons. They sound really strong as you wrote them, I'd try them out.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 25th February 2016, 06:02

Nine racial mechanics -- six of which are unique! -- is too much.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 25th February 2016, 11:21

chequers wrote:Nine racial mechanics -- six of which are unique! -- is too much.
Far less complicated than Vampires, not that that's saying anything. Honestly though; most of them aren't really "racial mechanics" everything has a base-size and a base-stealth, they just aren't often brought up.

Anyways, I want to keep Daze (intended as the opposite of Cold-Blooded) [Which Nagas and Draconians have] and I want to keep nightstalker, otherwise unsure.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 25th February 2016, 13:43

Some of these mechanics are kind of cool, mostly because they are all passive (micromanagement is the real problem with vampires). I know 'blood magic' (or something similar) was found to be broken with djinns, but maybe the issue there was channeling/etc. which I assume this race wouldn't have access to (the large hp pool, though...). I feel like this race might suffer from the ogre problem--i.e. all nephilim might gravitate towards GSC giant rock throwers, because those are just the strongest weapon options in the game. At least the magic apts would lend themselves to diversity of playstyle.

Nephilim seem like overpowered ogres (and ogres are already pretty strong to begin with) with more options. The fire/light vulnerability is interesting, but probably not enough of a downside most of the time. Maybe Nephilim should have relatively low HP--currently, there is no 'large race' with low hp (possibly because 'lots of hp' is the primary gameplay implication of being 'large'). As is, the aptitudes just seem way too strong.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 25th February 2016, 15:49

I love this.
A stealthy giant race with good casting aptitudes? Sign me up.
Formicid Lyfe

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 25th February 2016, 16:16

What's up with the uneven weapons aptitudes?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 25th February 2016, 17:28

ydeve wrote:What's up with the uneven weapons aptitudes?
uneven aptitudes are like the bright colours on poisonous toads. theyre a signal to tavern users that the species proposal is bad news and you should stay away and not eat it

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 25th February 2016, 18:12

duvessa wrote:
ydeve wrote:What's up with the uneven weapons aptitudes?
uneven aptitudes are like the bright colours on poisonous toads. theyre a signal to tavern users that the species proposal is bad news and you should stay away and not eat it
Duvessa thinks the only good species are Naga, Human, Demigod, Demonspawn, Octopode and Mummy.

That said; it's meant to be like Ogre, but less extreme and Og's apts were as extreme as it gets.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 25th February 2016, 18:55

bcadren wrote:Duvessa thinks the only good species are Naga, Human, Demigod, Demonspawn, Octopode and Mummy.
yeah that's about right

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 25th February 2016, 19:10

bcadren wrote:Duvessa Knows the only good species are Naga, Human, Demigod, Demonspawn, Octopode and Mummy.

ftfy
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 25th February 2016, 19:21

duvessa wrote:yeah that's about right

I'm immensely disappointed, I expected something like "actually I don't think Crawl has any good species".

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
Sprucery, ydeve

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 25th February 2016, 23:08

well i dont think any of those are actually well designed except human and maybe old dg

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner