DCSS Race Tier List

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 06:38

Re: DCSS Race Tier List

duvessa wrote:OgBe: 24 HP, 3 AC, 10 EV
TrBe: 22 HP, 5 AC, 10 EV
GrBe: 14 HP, 4 AC, 12 EV

If one of these has a durability problem, it isn't Og or Tr.

There are a lot things more than game in D:1~2.

Gargoyles can wear D:3 plate armours, Tr/Og cannot.

Tr/Og would have definitely hard time against early killer bee bands, spiny frogs and black mambas.

If Tr/Og player fails to find decent dragon scales or fails to stabilize Statue Form until 2 runes, the overall game becomes really pain.
Last edited by papilio on Monday, 21st November 2016, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 06:54

When I discuss in this forum I often get really confused that am I playing totally different game..

Here is 0.19 tournament statistics-win by species:

http://dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.19/species-backgrounds.html

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 07:00

I'd rate gargoyles ahead of ogres as well. Ogres have a better start, but gargoyles feel stronger after D:5 or so - Flying + resistances + AC for days + a little better magic overall + greater flexibility trump better damage and hit points (minus crappy armor class and crappy evasion.)

Ogres are one of my favorite races and I've played far more of 'em than gargoyles, but gargoyles feel like the stronger race to me.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 07:19

papilio wrote:When I discuss in this forum I often get really confused that am I playing totally different game..

wow, i didn't realize gr was better than dd. my world view is changed forever

For this message the author CanOfWorms has received thanks: 4
duvessa, nago, VeryAngryFelid, ZipZipskins

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 07:27

CanOfWorms wrote:
papilio wrote:When I discuss in this forum I often get really confused that am I playing totally different game..

IMO DD's clearcount appeared significantly lower than Gr's because the tournament encourages players to win with various (and weak) backgrounds/gods.
Deep dwarves have very limited options to choose gods compared to other species.
...or maybe DD's gameplays become too annoying in extended games. They are too vulnerable against Torments.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 14:10

That's some pretty convenient statistical wrangling, I mean, you're willing to admit to yourself and others that the unique, exceptional circumstances of the tournament invalidate that list for exactly one result even as you point to the list as a measure of relative species power for other results

(Tournament results give you even less of an accurate portrait of things like this than general winrate statistics do, which tell you very little to begin with)

For this message the author ZipZipskins has received thanks:
Rast

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 14:19

I think giving D:1 starting stats as only evidence is more weird.

Durabilities of Tr/Og are only better than Gr's until Gr pick a good body armour.
(And one can find chain mail/plate armour before D:5 with high possibility)

Tr/Og are obliged to have very poor AC before picking dragon scales (at least fire) or stabilizing Statue Form.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 15:32

papilio wrote:I think giving D:1 starting stats as only evidence is more weird.

Durabilities of Tr/Og are only better than Gr's until Gr pick a good body armour.
(And one can find chain mail/plate armour before D:5 with high possibility)

Tr/Og are obliged to have very poor AC before picking dragon scales (at least fire) or stabilizing Statue Form.

Probably you are overestimating importance of plate armour on D:3. At this point characters have low accuracy and Armour skill, I would use ring mail with most species.
On D:3 Ogre will have like double HP of Gr due to 1.3/0.8 HP aptitude difference and Fighting trained much higher because it is main Og defense. People generally keep M&F and Fighting close to each other this early, their +3/+3 aptitudes allow it easily.
Last edited by VeryAngryFelid on Monday, 21st November 2016, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 15:32

papilio wrote:
CanOfWorms wrote:

IMO DD's clearcount appeared significantly lower than Gr's because the tournament encourages players to win with various (and weak) backgrounds/gods.
Deep dwarves have very limited options to choose gods compared to other species.
...or maybe DD's gameplays become too annoying in extended games. They are too vulnerable against Torments.

I think there are two tendencies here. First, experienced players don't want to play DD because once you've played one, you've played them all, so to speak. Second, newer players are afraid to play DD because they are paranoid about running out of healing. This almost never happens outside of a turncount speedrun, but you still see new players handwringing over it.

Gargoyles have more variety in playstyle and god choice than a DD has, and are also pretty forgiving for newer players who will use poor tactics due to high AC.
Last edited by tabstorm on Monday, 21st November 2016, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
remove food

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 15:35

tabstorm wrote:First, experienced players don't want to play DD because once you've played one, you've played them all, so to speak.

Why? I have played DDFi of Makh, DDEE of Makh, DDHu of Makh, DDBe of Trog, DDEn of Ru, DDAr of Pakelas, DDNe of Chei, DDMo of Zin. Quite different characters IMHO. I still need to try DD of TSO and Ely some day.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 15:42

I'd cast my vote for Gr simply because it's easy to use, has rElec included, flies, is immune to poison, resistant to torment, has decent aptitudes, can use all armour, has huge defence bonuses, can rage, and can use all devices.

The weaknesses are to some rare spells and the HP hit is quite small compared to the defence you get.

Ogres simply die too easily by comparison, and have nothing special as aptitudes.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 15:49

+3 fighting and +3 maces is hardly "nothing special"

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 15:53

Hellmonk wrote:+3 fighting and +3 maces is hardly "nothing special"

Don't forget -2 armour, -1 dodging, -3 spell schools (including transmut), innate -2 EV
(which synergies in bad means with that they're unable to wear many armours)

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 16:12

Conversely, I'd rate trolls as better than gargoyles. Gargoyles have a fairly rough early game due to lack of hit points, while trolls are - bar none - the most powerful species in the early dungeon. All of ogres advantages + they start with their endgame weapon. (Deep dwarves might be harder to kill, but trolls can bascially just tab through anything 'till they hit orc priests.) Killer bee packs might require a little bit of corridor maneuvering, but super-regen greatly reduces the threat of the poison enemies that papilo mentions - one (or evem two) on one they dominate mambas and frogs.

To repeat what the tavern hive mind always says - Once you get to lair you virtually always have the resources to win. And trolls can make it to lair with far less risk (and thought!) than gargoyles.

Still with papilo on ogres vs. gargoyles, though. Ogres aren't that incredibly much better early game, and gargoyles shoot past ogres in relative effectiveness quickly.

For this message the author Reptisaurus has received thanks:
Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 16:14

Hellmonk wrote:+3 fighting and +3 maces is hardly "nothing special"

I think it is when dodging, shields and armour aren't good. I think that being able to hold on to your HP is a stronger ability than having more of them at full health.

Ogres have the special shield hindrance modifier so they are less impeded by their shields, but there actually isn't much they are going to do with it. Their spell aptitudes are bad, the sneak malus doesn't go away (I think?), and they would have to give up one of their advantages (big clubs).
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 16:40

Ogres have their HP higher vs melee monsters because they one-shot many things with their GSC club. Vs ranged monsters they need tactics and unsurprisingly Gr have problems here too because their great GDR does not apply and AC is not reliable, I actually prefer HP over anything else vs ranged attacks.
Og will never have AC of Gr in CPA but it will never die to a single LCS or 2 smites from Orc Priests either.

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 21st November 2016, 22:41

duvessa wrote:OgBe: 24 HP, 3 AC, 10 EV
TrBe: 22 HP, 5 AC, 10 EV
GrBe: 14 HP, 4 AC, 12 EV

If one of these has a durability problem, it isn't Og or Tr.

Those numbers are pretty meaningless as you should be well aware...

According to fsim vs a hobgoblin, average effective damage taken/turn:
OgBe: 1.0
TrBe: 1.0
GrBe: 0.5

The gargoyle has the highest effective HP vs a hobgoblin at lvl 1, disregarding troll regeneration. Probably not that meaningful for a Be at D:1, but the numbers are similar for a Vm, for instance. The one, if any, with the durability problem is the Og. (Feel free to show some data that shows otherwise, I tried a couple of different scenarios but would be glad to be proven wrong.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 02:23

Not a very meaningful fsim if you don't include the damage dealt/turn.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
VeryAngryFelid, ZipZipskins

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 02:57

Also average damage taken is kind of meaningless early game. Hobgoblin can deal 5 damage max, hobgoblin with flail can deal 15 damage max (ignoring GDR here). I would prefer to be Og with 24 HP than Gr with 14 HP no matter what average taken damage suggests because I can just pillar-dance to restore my HP back if needed.

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
ZipZipskins

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 15:28

duvessa wrote:Not a very meaningful fsim if you don't include the damage dealt/turn.

Damage dealt is basically the same for all of them (2.0-2.1), better for trolls if they're using claws.

Reason I tested vs hobgoblin is because it's probably not a monster you should fight at XL 1 if you're a weak background. A hobgoblin with a flail you definitely should not fight at XL 1. For a strong background like Be it probably doesn't matter, would be interesting to see how often the bots die on D:1 on Be backgrounds...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 15:48

If players were fighting only what they wanted to fight, they would never die. At least the experienced players.

Edit. Also I find it weird that -20% AC and +20% EV halves average damage taken, as I wrote above I don't think the stat is useful when character can be killed in 2 hits.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 17:16

I have played a number of octopodes. I think we can all agree that they are a quite delicate species. But I have found D1 and D2 to be very very easy on an OpFi (I don't consider this the optimal Op start its just an example, IE is probably overall optimal Op start), I only get scared on D3. Op are delicate but their offense on D1 is very strong and the shield you get as fighter is enough extra defense to put almost any 1v1 heavily in your favor even against adders and worms once you get a level or 2 or 3. The constriction makes you far more accurate and the Op auxiliary attacks proc often and hit hard. You can literally do all of D1 and D2 and kill fast without training any weapon apts at all, just pick up a natively accurate weapon.

Am I missing something? Why is there such a focus on D1? I agree that a Troll's massive starting HP is a huge deal when you are level 1 but you can get to level 3 on D1 pretty easy. I can, pretty often, get a OpFi to level 5 before I am feeling like things are getting serious. This isn't to say that OpFi won't die way too often to an ogre and that you should probably avoid a D3 ogre. But generally my main concern is D3 not D1 or D2. I can understand if someone is purely going for a win streak and I don't really think of the game that way. D3 can basically viciously try to kill you with an evil Grinder + sigimund in one room spawn or whatever and even at this point the massive troll HP is a severe advantage. But frankly I can usually also just leave with that situation with an OpFi due their native stealth bonus from camouflage. I am not arguing that Op should be ranked higher here because they are incredibly delicate in D3+. But that is actually kind of my point, one of the more delicate species actually takes D1&2 pretty easy IMO so D1&2 is therefore a poor basis.

Also I agree with VeryAngryFelid early plate armor is a bit of a trap it trashes your EV but worse it has a pretty bad effect on your already bad offense. Early dungeon things die fast if you actually manage to hit them and none of your defenses are actually all that reliable even with ok scores. This is basically the problem with early ogres, if you get unlucky they can one shot you. My rule of thumb is never melee an ogre if you have less than 35 HP in D5 and earlier (if you can reasonably avoid it and have not injured it significantly and even then maybe not). Doesn't matter if you have 14AC and 6 EV(or vice versa), you can still just plain die due to bad luck. And if that 10AC is plate armor with no skill you will be meleeing that ogre for a good bit longer and risking the one or two shot even more. I don't really consider gargoyles to have a much better start than a human or similar. The small extra AC is nice but the low HP is an issue. Its not until later that a Gr starts making up for it.

I am ok with the speed, HP etc priorities, but I don't fully understand the D1/2 focus. I would argue the better analysis is comparing how they play on D3 at roughly level 5 or so (or actually take the exp apt into acctoun so a DG is much lower level). This varies quite a bit though because a D2 adder is much more dangerous for some than others. Generally I can kill adders fine as an IE with freeze, it slows them and always hits. Also I tend to kill adders very well with octopodes of almost any sort, but many other species/backgrounds it can be very dangerous even for fast species. Maybe for the random background I can see D1 and D2 being more important at least for non-high HP species. But certain backgrounds really should have no real trouble on D1 as long as you avoid pulling 4 things at once, use slings and throwing etc etc.

Also I understand why formicid is low but I, personally, think FoFi is an extremely easy start. Not saying its the best but its pretty solid and reliable and can be incredibly fast.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 17:57

Yes, Op is strong on D:1 because of constriction. You can basically press . and still win many fights. D:1 is special because you cannot retreat upstairs. Diving to D:2 can result in even more dangerous situation.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 20:28

How did you reconcile Naga slow 2 versus their 20% HP? I understand having them in the second to last tier, but I think I sort of feel they are even worse than octopodes and mummies solely because of slow 2. Don't get me wrong Naga start can actually be kind of strong but I dunno after messing around a lot with Naga and Chei both separately and together I came to the conclusion that amount of slow (even swiftness doesn't make you fast enough) is incredibly dangerous even later into the game. Most other races may start weak but can finish strong but slow 2 haunts you forever. I really think the high ranking of felid bears this out. I mean they have -40% HP! I know people have made some really strong Naga and done mega-zigs etc. but I dunno I sort of feel they should be ranked as the worst of species because slow 2 is just that bad. If swiftness was able to get them to under 1.0 move I could see them just being low.

Its hard to say, Naga is much easier than octopode to get to lair. Even still sometimes, not regularly but often enough, having played Naga I just get into a situation where I am thinking "Shit I am dead and if I was literally any other species I could get out of this". It just seemed to me that for Naga sometimes you are just gonna die even when you play quite well (maybe not perfect) and I don't think I have felt that way on other species.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 23:06

So I have a number of issues with the list but I'll limit myself to one here: Vine stalker should be much higher. I'm not entirely sure when they lost one rank of regen at the start, and without that they are much weaker than before, but I'd still consider them one of the top races in crawl. When they had regen 1 to start and regen 3 max I put them in my personal top four (Mi, Ce, DD, VS, in no order). Without it they may drop down to "S" or "A", but there is no way at all that you can justify putting them in D.

I think the likely mistake was seeing "-30% hp" and putting them in the "has no hp rank" with tengus and kobolds...They actually have normal health because their mana is about 30%, and it also restores itself rapidly (as does their health) so they should be near the top, imho. And finally, of course statue form boosts their raw hp as well, which is why you see all of the VS statue form + chei speed runs lately.
Last edited by tasonir on Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 01:36

Regen mutation strength was increased, which is why VS have only 2 levels. It's equivalent to three levels at the old strength. However they do have less regen for several XLs so it was a nerf.

For this message the author chequers has received thanks:
tasonir

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 12:25

VS dies to two smites for much longer than most races. The MP pool starts very small and only plays a significant role after you're past the very early game, unless when you're replenishing it by attacking, which you may be not able to for a few long turns against early orc priests and wizards.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 13:55

tabstorm wrote:Second, newer players are afraid to play DD because they are paranoid about running out of healing. This almost never happens outside of a turncount speedrun, but you still see new players handwringing over it.

[Raises hand] Yes this is precisely why I've been holding off on DD.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th November 2016, 09:00

MainiacJoe wrote:
tabstorm wrote:Second, newer players are afraid to play DD because they are paranoid about running out of healing. This almost never happens outside of a turncount speedrun, but you still see new players handwringing over it.

[Raises hand] Yes this is precisely why I've been holding off on DD.

And yet my first ever win was with a DDBe, so clearly generalizations don't cover all cases :)

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 29th November 2016, 20:19

Serious question: What does "Median Role" mean?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 30th November 2016, 10:55

A role that's in the middle of that race's role difficulty ranking.
Previous

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner