God Elimination Tournament; Round 1: Trog vs. Okawaru

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Which god is better (generally)?

Trog
71%
Okawaru
29%

Total votes : 51

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 9th January 2016, 02:11

God Elimination Tournament; Round 1: Trog vs. Okawaru

Let's decide the best god by process of Elimination. Round 1: Trog vs. Okawaru. FIGHT. [For the purposes of this poll assume an average race (IE Hu) in order to judge the god without exigent circumstances. Also Zealot starts are not considered for the purpose of this poll.]
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 9th January 2016, 03:15

Re: God Elimination Tournament; Round 1: Trog vs. Okawaru

What scale are we using to judge, powerfulness, interestingness, tedium, brokenness, etc?
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 9th January 2016, 03:25

Power. Honestly I'm surprised Trog is winning. Lot of people underestimating Heroism and Finesse (in my own opinion). Trog...berserk is risky; the remaining two abilities are decent; but I prefer finesse and heroism; skill help so you can use that longbow with mindelay at 15 skill is...amazing. IDK. (I'm for Oka for supporting range as well as melee and range being much more powerful)...and the skill help allowing the player to spread their skills out more...and allowing magic. Trog is better early game; but everyone leaves him for TSO or something; Oka is good all extended.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 9th January 2016, 03:27

Trog is just as good in extended as Oka is. I'm kind of shocked you call Brothers in Arms only "decent". It's the most damaging god summon there is.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 9th January 2016, 03:40

Oka is better for extended, he is also bettter for preparing your character to extended via gifts. But Trog is better for winning overall.
You shall never see my color again.

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 9th January 2016, 03:46

My last Oka game; he gaveme 47! paralysis needles and a +10 Blowgun of Speed; with finesse and heroism...I had a delay of 0.1/0.2 for firing a needle. I paralyzed Dispater, two fiends and a Hell Sentinel before any of them could act (having already used Hero and Finesse because I was about to go into a hard fight). That's a lot more brokenly powerful than BiA. That said; I think (in extended at least); TSO's Daevas beat BiA; I also think Kiku's Receive Corpses + Simulacra beats BiA (though Simulacra need more Skill XP to use; obviously). Additionally a lot of summoning spells beat BiA (monsterous menagerie, XXX, Greater Demon, Dragon's Call), which most characters could have access to in extended if they left Trog, but...that's not a god-assisted summon.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 9th January 2016, 03:53

oka is better than trog for extended only because spells are so good (okawaru is pretty awful in extended himself)

and oka gifts are worse than trog gifts at preparing you for extended...much worse

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 9th January 2016, 04:17

Extended aside, Trog helps you much much more early game on most chars, so this one is a very clear Trog for me

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 9th January 2016, 16:01

Trog is the best god.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 9th January 2016, 17:21

MR is good. Trogs hand is amazingly good.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 11th January 2016, 01:38

trogs kit is amazingly good all the way to zot. want to be able to kill everything before lair? berserk. want an endgame weapon early? theres a good chance youll get it before you finish lair. afraid of orc wizard/grinder/erolcha/sphinx/demonologist/lich fucking your shit up with its hexes? use trogs hand. once in a blue moon, despite all the shit i just listed, a hard battle pops up? call a brother. still not enough? call second one.
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 11th January 2016, 12:50

Trog is great. I accidentally voted for Oka. My finger slipped, I swear...

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 11th January 2016, 14:18

I know Trog is betta than oka, but I really like hybrids and if played realllllly strategically, having utility spells might be betta than straight foward trog IMO.
And really, not many mentions of ranged yet. well, trog is still better because of trog's hand and bros even if you can't zerk. But oka has fitnesse, portal proj, pog and lot of other things, so maybe it cancels out?... Oh, and heroism works great on throwing. no need to train up to 27.

For this message the author Jalalaer has received thanks:
stoneychips

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th January 2016, 21:17

I'm kind of wondering what the seeding for what appears to be a single elimination bracket was, it's very important to seed appropriately if you want the 2nd/3rd/4th place results to be valid. And just going by tournament popularity (which is crude, but let's just call it close enough) you've managed to seed the #1 god vs the #2 god right off the bat...(Okawaru #1 with 216 wins, Trog #2 with 207 wins. Third place had a full 100 wins less, at 104 for Mahkleb, close with Chei at 103)

If you're going to go ahead and do the full brackets, I'd use # of wins in .17 tournament for seeding, put up the full brackets, and allow people to vote on each round for ~1 week. That way there's only 4-5 polls, rather than one for each matchup.

I'm not terribly sure how much the results would differ from the seeding, although there's one obvious exception with Jiyva, who is downright hard to worship. Other than that, I imagine Fedhas would gain some given how adamant some forumers (it's a word) are about its 1* power ;)

We might have a struggle to keep chei at fourth place or higher....

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks: 2
byrel, duvessa

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 12th January 2016, 16:26

^^^^^^^ Please do this. I'm actually quite interested in the outcome.

Edit: Oh, and Okawaru wins, hands down. Trog is stronger pre-Lair, but the game doesn't end at the entrance to lair. Heroism is a great strategic ability (5 fewer XP levels for both your melee and ranged weapon, plus bonus defense), and Finesse is a better combat buff than Berserk (not always in total damage out/damage in, but it leaves you with the flexibility to quaff a potion or read a scroll.) Early-mid game is drastically helped by a few low level spells (Blink, Repel Missiles, Slow, Swiftness, Spectral Weapon, Animate Skeleton, Sting, Mephitic Cloud, Conjure Flame, Cure Poison... a few? who am I kidding!) and Okawaru is also a good god for more strong melee characters than Trog (Wz, VM, En, Sk, Tm, etc.)
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th January 2016, 07:08

Your analysis omits the strongest Trog ability and instead you are comparing Trog's first power with Oka's final one...

Arrhythmia, nago

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 13th January 2016, 08:34

Sar wrote:Your analysis omits the strongest Trog ability and instead you are comparing Trog's first power with Oka's final one...

I know right, people always underestimate the power of burning books. How else do you plan on killing those nasty hydras!?
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 13th January 2016, 11:54

Can we get to Trog VS Fedhas already? I just wanna watch the tavern catch fire.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, byrel, Sar

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 13th January 2016, 13:22

I think gods' strengths and drawbacks are misjudged by a good amount of players.

Probably Trog vs Chei or Trog vs Qzlol would bring more hilarious results. And yes now that I've mentioned chei this topic is most probably finished and a new poll should be started.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th January 2016, 13:29

Chei vs. Qaz would be a battle to end both battles. On one hand, you have +15 to all stats, which boosts both magical and melee damage beyond any reasonable measure; on other hand, you have the best AoE ability in the game. One-shotting Panlords in statue form vs. cleaning entire Zig floors with one ability - which one of these overpowered gods is more overpowered?

Arrhythmia, nago

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 13th January 2016, 13:46

Sar wrote:Your analysis omits the strongest Trog ability and instead you are comparing Trog's first power with Oka's final one...

Fair enough. Given my choice, I'd rather have effectively unlimited access to Trog's Hand than to Berserk. MR is great, and the regen really helps in some sticky situations.

So far as comparing abilites goes...
Unable to use spells -> Massive Negative Power on most strong characters.
Burn Spellbooks -> 0 power
Berserk -> High power combat buff that will kill you. It turns you into a worse mummy: unable to quaff potions, unable to cure confusion, unable to use any escape. In exchange, you're quite hard to kill and deadly. Good for situations where your answer is going to be 'tab'. Bad for all other situations.
Trog's Hand -> MR++ and regen. Really good. No downside.
BiA -> strong to extremely strong melee-only living summons, at high piety cost.
Gifts-> A pile of AM weapons. Rarely useful after Lair, since you already got an above-average AM weapon of whatever type.

Heroism -> Strong tactical and strategic buff to offense and defense. More moderate than berserk, but with 0 downside.
Finesse -> Berserk-level combat buff, again with 0 downside.
Gifts -> Crap body armours, good aux armours, and middling weapons. Starts off less useful, but keeps gifting useful things throughout the game.

I'd choose heroism over berserk, oka's gifts over trog's, and BiA over Finesse. And Trog's Hand is sugar. But in no way does BiA compensate for not being able to learn blink. Or any of the other spells I mentioned.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 13th January 2016, 13:50

byrel wrote:

Fair enough. Given my choice, I'd rather have effectively unlimited access to Trog's Hand than to Berserk. MR is great, and the regen really helps in some sticky situations.

Berserk -> High power combat buff that will kill you. It turns you into a worse mummy: unable to quaff potions, unable to cure confusion, unable to use any escape. In exchange, you're quite hard to kill and deadly. Good for situations where your answer is going to be 'tab'. Bad for all other situations.
Trog's Hand -> MR++ and regen. Really good. No downside.
BiA -> strong to extremely strong melee-only living summons, at high piety cost.
Gifts-> A pile of AM weapons. Rarely useful after Lair, since you already got an above-average AM weapon of whatever type.

Heroism -> Strong tactical and strategic buff to offense and defense. More moderate than berserk, but with 0 downside.
Finesse -> Berserk-level combat buff, again with 0 downside.
Gifts -> Crap body armours, good aux armours, and middling weapons. Starts off less useful, but keeps gifting useful things throughout the game.

I'd choose heroism over berserk, oka's gifts over trog's, and BiA over Finesse. And Trog's Hand is sugar. But in no way does BiA compensate for not being able to learn blink. Or any of the other spells I mentioned.

The hardest part of the game is the early game, and trog wins over that. Even middle game. So, no matter how trog is boring, it wins oka. And really, BiA is strong(get some iron trolls to whack mara). AND it needs no exp.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th January 2016, 14:01

Berserk is mostly safe if you use it correctly, in my experience, anyway. Blink isn't even that good of a spell IMO, it's too random and if you want a controlled one you either need a huge investment... or you could use a scroll, which Trog allows.

And IME Trog's gifts are better than Oka's. People say like with Oka you'll often end up with a couple of useful items by the endgame - and that's true! But with Trog, you often end up with an endgame quality weapon in Lair. Though bcadren made a point about needles, but Trog can also gift those if you train Throwing.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 13th January 2016, 14:30

Learning spells -> assuming you will find said spells. I could say the very same about evocables, which you can use as trog. And going hybrid early game is usually worse than just going full melee, specially when you can rage. Trog first gift ensures you will receive a weapon(may be the wrong one, and probly will), instead of a glove.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 13th January 2016, 21:11

It's only a "Massive Negative Power" if you compare current Trog to a version of Trog that had the same abilities but didn't restrict magic. It's not much of a negation compared to Oka since Trog gives you abilities that are comparable to some of the strongest spells in the game (conjure flame, regen, haste, strong summons) and with no skill investment in spellcasting or any other spell school.

What is "0 power" supposed to mean? Throwing a book down in front of a monster and creating a cloud of flame has become useless for damage or escape? Was conjure flame also removed for being useless?

This is one of the more hilariously inaccurate descriptions of berserk I've seen. Are mummies free to quaff other potions and then (in one turn) quaff might, haste, and gain 50% hp? And it's good for "situations where your answer is going to be 'tab'", but when is finesse good, when you're not going to be using tab?

It's a high power buff "that will kill you" if you use it poorly, but melee is a high power ability that will kill you if you use it poorly.
If you move while zerked you move quickly and for a few steps, so if think about your position before you zerk, you can very often get yourself to a safer position should you have misjudged the situation. This can be safe stairs or just a choke point where you can worry about only one weaker enemy while you work on your escape.

Melee-only and quite fast, which means it gets gets in front and to the monster quickly. Saying "at high piety cost" and referring to finesse as "0 downsides" when the piety cost for Oka is actually way more significant (since it's easier to lose the ability and harder to gain piety with Oka), doesn't make sense.

It's not my experience at all that Trog only gifts AM weapons, in fact it's rare to worship trog and not have a viable weapon of another brand gifted.

Both Oka and Trog gifts are only marginally useful as the mid-game goes on because any upgrade they provide would tend to not make much difference to the survivability of your character. Oka gifts are nice in that they can at least rarely be useful at any point and for the surprise factor, but for gifts that actually help you win, I'd choose the ones that have a higher chance to be relevant and are gifted earlier.

For this message the author gammafunk has received thanks: 3
Lasty, nago, Sar

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 13th January 2016, 21:39

byrel wrote:
Sar wrote:I'd choose heroism over berserk, oka's gifts over trog's, and BiA over Finesse. And Trog's Hand is sugar. But in no way does BiA compensate for not being able to learn blink. Or any of the other spells I mentioned.

I'd choose Trog's gifts over Oka's. You can go entire games with Oka without getting a weapon anywhere near as good as what Trog is likely to gift you by lair.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 13th January 2016, 21:45

I'd never played much with Trog since Berserk seemed scary and dangerous. So I played a bunch of other characters and learned more about how to play in general. Then I tried a MiBe just to see what all the fuss was about. My first attempt died to a shapeshifter after getting teleported into a nasty Xom vault on D:7, but the second one won pretty easily. Heroism/Finesse are really good, but Trog's abilities, used at the right time, can trivialize some really dangerous situations. And you get all that power with 0 Invocations training, plus no XP toward any magic skills. I love support spells, but there's something to be said for "what if they were all just dead?" as an option.

For this message the author Jarlyk has received thanks:
Tranquil Suit

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 14th January 2016, 13:32

gammafunk wrote:
It's only a "Massive Negative Power" if you compare current Trog to a version of Trog that had the same abilities but didn't restrict magic. It's not much of a negation compared to Oka since Trog gives you abilities that are comparable to some of the strongest spells in the game (conjure flame, regen, haste, strong summons) and with no skill investment in spellcasting or any other spell school.
Massive negative power compared to atheist. That's the clear default position to compare gods to. This particular feature of trog has negative power, entirely independent of what other abilities he brings.
What is "0 power" supposed to mean? Throwing a book down in front of a monster and creating a cloud of flame has become useless for damage or escape? Was conjure flame also removed for being useless?

I don't think you can throw spellbooks anymore, and the clouds don't last as long as conjure flame in my experience. Furthermore, you're choosing to delay piety in order to hold the ammunition for this ability. Still, 0 power was an exaggeration. It's undoubtedly optimal to do this sometimes, even though I don't for tedium reasons.
This is one of the more hilariously inaccurate descriptions of berserk I've seen. Are mummies free to quaff other potions and then (in one turn) quaff might, haste, and gain 50% hp? And it's good for "situations where your answer is going to be 'tab'", but when is finesse good, when you're not going to be using tab?
I think it's 100% accurate. "In exchange you're quite hard to kill and deadly" was intended as a non-technical description of might, haste and 150%HP. In exchange, you get almost 0 lateral options, in a game where smart use of lateral options is one of the biggest skills to be learned. Finesse is quite good in situations where you're using tab along with consumables, AOE spells, ranged weapons, evokables, etc. Berserk doesn't allow any flexibility to your approach. If you berserk, you either run away or melee attack. That's it. If you finesse, you can blink, conjure flame, heroism, use a ranged weapon, etc.
If you move while zerked you move quickly and for a few steps, so if think about your position before you zerk, you can very often get yourself to a safer position should you have misjudged the situation. This can be safe stairs or just a choke point where you can worry about only one weaker enemy while you work on your escape.
Agreed. Berserk is not negative power; it's quite useful. But it's downsides tend to be underestimated because they only punish you occaisionally (when you misplay). And when they do, it tends to be lethal.

Melee-only and quite fast, which means it gets gets in front and to the monster quickly. Saying "at high piety cost" and referring to finesse as "0 downsides" when the piety cost for Oka is actually way more significant (since it's easier to lose the ability and harder to gain piety with Oka), doesn't make sense.
Fair. When I said 0 downsides I was comparing it to berserk, which has huge mechanical downsides. The piety cost is certainly a downside, though since it's basically the only piety-relevent ability Oka has, it's more of a frequency limit than anything. OTOH, I find BiA to need used more often on trog, since berserk starts being quite dangerous in depths. I usually have more trouble keeping enough piety for good BiA than for finesse.

It's not my experience at all that Trog only gifts AM weapons, in fact it's rare to worship trog and not have a viable weapon of another brand gifted.
Yes, Trog gifts other things. Often enough your best weapon will be AM though. At least we agree about the distribution of utility of trog vs. Oka gifts. I prefer the flatter curve of Oka's but I can see an argument for Trog's being better.

Mind you, I really like the design of trog. I think it's somewhat better than Okawaru, and somewhat more interesting to play (though I find a hybrid of Okawaru even more interesting than a melee fighter of Trog). But I think Okawaru's peak power is notably higher than Trog's, and his midgame power is slightly higher. Early game, Trog wins. But a lot of characters do struggle later than early game... So I think on net Oka's better than trog.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th January 2016, 13:36

byrel wrote:I don't think you can throw spellbooks anymore

F followed by a corresponding inventory letter allows you to throw pretty much anything.
byrel wrote:Often enough your best weapon will be AM though

Well, that might be because AM is an absolutely exceptional endgame brand that shuts down a lot of dangerous enemies, not because the other gifts are bad.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, nago

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 14th January 2016, 13:45

Good to know about throwing. I'll put that in my bag of tricks then.

It's not so much that the other gifts are bad, as that they're relatively rare, so you don't have as good of a chance to get a good enchantment on a good, relatively rare basetype.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th January 2016, 13:55

Trog's enchantment is usually very good and, unless you can use a GSC (in which case you'll be showered in amazing randarts), you'll probably get a blue item, which means you can enchant it even further.

gammafunk, nago

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 14th January 2016, 14:09

Can't check right now but I'm pretty sure that 'F' shows all the books in inventory as valid projectiles for a Troglodyte.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 16th January 2016, 07:50

On strong characters I find that you can do just fine with trog without useing berserk, burn spellbooks, Bia, or trogs hand (if you can find MR) past the early game because you have a good to ridiculously good weapon and because late game is easy. I still think that Trog is the best god because you are not gaurnteed MR items and Trog will guarantee that you have enough MR. Fedas might have a slightly better early game but not better than trog enough to make me want to give up my guaranteed MR.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

For this message the author WingedEspeon has received thanks:
zxc23

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 16th January 2016, 15:13

Trog is better by far and your opinion is wrong if you think otherwise.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, WingedEspeon

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner