Quality of life god

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 2nd January 2016, 18:33

Quality of life god

I have had the idea for a god that removes some of the annoyances from the game in such a way that it would be a bit too strong to give all characters for free. The hunger removal is not too strong for this but fits the theme. I also added some extras to make sure the god was strong enough to be worth worshiping. All abilities are passives except for vampires, who gain an ability related to their food system.

[Name] the god of eliminating minor annoyances

Passives:
  • Passive identification - * - All items are automatically identified, even items on the floor. ID scroll are now worthless and automatically not picked up.
  • Trap spotting - * - All traps are found as soon as they enter LOS.
  • Hunger removal - ** - Removes all hunger costs from all actions. Ghouls gain rot immunity. Vampires maintain a constant satiation level and gain an ability to change their satiation level to any other level at the cost of being exhausted and slowed. Food is now useless and automatically not picked up.
  • Item stacking - *** - All wands or the same type now stack and increase the maximum charges of the wand whenever a new wand is added to the stack. Boxes of beasts and sacks of spiders stack similarly.
  • Timed Portal Aid - *** - All levels with a timed portal on them are automatically mapped as if you had read a scroll of magic mapping. Grants rC+ in ice caves, rF+ in volcanoes, allows auto explore and removes map rot and wall shifting in labyrinths, grants repel missiles or upgrades repel missiles to deflect missiles in a Baily, gives flight to non Op/Mf in the sewers, and gives price reduction/bonus gold when you enter a timed bazaar
  • Charm persistence - **** - All charms that don't have a downside and transmutations have their duration extended indefinitely. Their power automatically updates to your current spellpower. Aura of abjuration is counted as charms for this purpose. Shroud of Golubria will unravel as normal but will refresh whenever there are no monsters in LOS or you pass a turn. Warp weapon and Excruciating Wounds are also persisted but can be ended instantly at any time though an ability. You must keep these spells on your spell list. Charms cease to be persisted if your failure rate for casting the spell drops below a certain minimum amount (10%?).
  • Weapon versatility - ***** - All melee weapons crosstrain with all other melee weapons (including UC). All ranged weapons crosstrain with all other ranged weapons. Exp gained though crosstraining increases to 100% from 40%.
  • Curse removal - ****** - All items generated cursed have their curses removed. Your items cannot become cursed. Remove curse scroll are now worthless and automatically not picked up.
  • Malmutate reduction - ****** - All enemies below a certain threat level (easy?) cannot use malmutate. Does not affect temporary mutations, dangerous things like OOF's, and contamination. (Because casting sputterflies and airstrike every time a certain enemy enters LOS is annoying)
  • Hex Failsafe - ****** - Any MR resistible effect that has a 1% or lower chance of affecting you now fails every time.

Wrath:
  • Passively blocks joining another god.
  • All stacked items explode from your inventory onto the ground with the remaining charges distributed randomly between them.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

For this message the author WingedEspeon has received thanks:
Airwolf

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 2nd January 2016, 19:22

Re: Quality of life god

I feel this would be better as a patch or gamemode than a god.

Right now it doesn't feel very godlike. It feels like a gamemode masquerading as a god.

For this message the author lethediver has received thanks:
Rast

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 2nd January 2016, 20:43

Yea this makes more sense as changes to the game or a game mode than a god. I'd support most of these changes. Removing hunger, Timed Portal Aid, Weapon versatility, and Malmutate reduction are all a bit overreaching though.

Hunger is fine as is.

Timed Portals could use a little rework; I'd like to have it tell the general direction the sound is coming from (Northeast, South, etc.) instead of just how close it is; but a free Magic Mapping is a little much.

Weapon Versatility is a bit too much of a melee and ranged buff...more things crosstraining is fine; crosstraining 100% is overreaching.

Malmutate Reduction would make Shining Eyes completely useless...
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 3rd January 2016, 00:00

bcadren wrote:Yea this makes more sense as changes to the game or a game mode than a god. I'd support most of these changes. Removing hunger, Timed Portal Aid, Weapon versatility, and Malmutate reduction are all a bit overreaching though.

Hunger is fine as is.

Timed Portals could use a little rework; I'd like to have it tell the general direction the sound is coming from (Northeast, South, etc.) instead of just how close it is; but a free Magic Mapping is a little much.

Weapon Versatility is a bit too much of a melee and ranged buff...more things crosstraining is fine; crosstraining 100% is overreaching.

Malmutate Reduction would make Shining Eyes completely useless...

Some of the things are a bit overreaching because this is supposed to be strong enough to compete with the other gods. Free magic mapping is because if you have the scroll you will use it (at least I do) and if you don't you end up hunting around the level. All the free magic mapping does is give you a few extra scrolls of magic mapping. Nobody would think that a god gifting magic mapping a few times per game is anywhere near overpowered. I do agree that it would be a bit much as a game mode.

Weapon Versatility is way too much for a game mode but IMO is fine as a god ability. Charm persistence is a fairly large buff for casters (Perminate Ozocubu's Armour that doesn't melt!) Hybrids might benefit the most from this god, but nearly every non-trog character hybridizes to some degree anyway. Also, you can pretty much guarantee getting a good to great weapon of your chosen type if you go trog/oka, this way you can get one of a type that you have "trained" but it might not be the type you want.

Malmutation reduction can be changed to five temporary mutations instead. I don't generally do extended so I wouldn't be too sad if that passive was removed entirely.

The idea is that iding everything is a strong boost early game to get you to lair and the other abilities make the rest of the game more pleasant when you should be able to win godless anyway with good to optimal play.

EDIT: maybe some of this stuff would work better as a game mode, but as a god I can simply make the changes buffs without worrying about making the game too easy.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 3rd January 2016, 04:36

Some of these would be cool things to give Jiyva worshippers, perhaps as a replacement for removing item destruction. Jiyva has a lot of nice quality-of-life features(much less need to eat, less need to rest-heal, no bad mutations, no incentive to stash, less corrosion(made more sense when it was permanent), etc) . Some of these would be quite cool. Using Jiyva to beta-test quality of life changes might be a good thing to do in general.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 3rd January 2016, 18:32

I feel like this god would make a very interesting experimental branch. I don't see it making it to the real game, but seeing which of these abilities actually turned out over powered in practice would be a good exercise for future discussion and design.

Granted, for that purpose, these be better tested one at a time not tied to a god, and some would need to be adjusted to be less powerful.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 3rd January 2016, 19:33

Seems like a pretty big wish list, and not really much related. Out of this I might carve out a suite:

* automatic identify
* this means you know about cursed items, so they're not much actual trouble
* automatic mapping of all levels (not just timed portal levels)
* this means you know where all the traps are

That's already a pretty powerful set of divinations for a "god of knowledge" of some sort - I haven't followed Ashkenazi or whatever his name is, but I wonder if that gives as much. Still, you might argue it should.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 3rd January 2016, 19:40

Chicken wrote:Seems like a pretty big wish list, and not really much related. Out of this I might carve out a suite:

* automatic identify
* this means you know about cursed items, so they're not much actual trouble
* automatic mapping of all levels (not just timed portal levels)
* this means you know where all the traps are

That's already a pretty powerful set of divinations for a "god of knowledge" of some sort - I haven't followed Ashkenazi or whatever his name is, but I wonder if that gives as much. Still, you might argue it should.

These things all are already either properties of Ashe or might be reasonable editions to Ashe. Not to mention they fit Ashe's flavor well too.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 3rd January 2016, 19:43

On Ashenzari: What is missing? Note that the god gives identification in a gradual way (corresponding slot must be cursed) -- this is good because it carries a feeling of progression. In fact, Ashenzari has been intentionally designed as a light-weight god (no combat related active powers), with the main decisions arising globally (what to curse, when to un/re-curse). You've sort of reinvented the god :)

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 4th January 2016, 04:54

can the god be called "Haxor - The Game Genie", like the god I used to slide into my SNES

type '&' then 'yes' and this god will be activated for you?

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner