nethack updated

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 8th December 2015, 02:43

nethack updated

take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 2
archaeo, Sprucery

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 8th December 2015, 02:56

Re: nethack updated

don`t click.... rick astley vid.... u know which
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 8th December 2015, 05:47

Having never played nethack but heard ever so much about it, this sounds significant! In what way, though, I've no idea.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 8th December 2015, 06:04

After the leaking of unfinished code a year or so back I started to have hope ... and then soon gave up on it. I can't believe they updated!

Edit: Looks like nothing has changed much, though. Seems like it's about the same as playing nethack 3.4.3 on the popular servers. Hopefully the next update (that they hinted at: infrastructure changed and laying the foundation and all that) adds to gameplay.
Last edited by ydeve on Tuesday, 8th December 2015, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th December 2015, 06:41

Damn, I still have several unwon species, backgrounds and gods in Crawl. I thought it'd take a couple more years to get the next version of Nethack...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 8th December 2015, 10:36

Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

For this message the author pubby has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 17th December 2015, 10:48

wow, this is like... imagine if Linley Henzell released an update for Dungeon Crawl around this time.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 17th December 2015, 12:28

HG: No, not at all. It is as if nothing happened with DCSS development, for ten years, while (former? dormant?) developers still claiming to "work on the next release". This is what happened with Nethack.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th December 2015, 21:55

dpeg wrote:HG: No, not at all. It is as if nothing happened with DCSS development, for ten years, while (former? dormant?) developers still claiming to "work on the next release". This is what happened with Nethack.
Oh, get off your high horse. Releasing more often doesn't make you better than them, and you know damn well that there are more actively developed NetHack forks than actively developed Linley's Dungeon Crawl forks.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th December 2015, 23:40

duvessa wrote:Releasing more often doesn't make you better than them

Imho it does.
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th December 2015, 23:54

Sprucery wrote:

Imho it does.
I could release a new stable version of Dream Simulator every day if I wanted to but that wouldn't make it a better development plan or a better game than DCSS

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 00:06

duvessa wrote:
Sprucery wrote:

Imho it does.
I could release a new stable version of Dream Simulator every day if I wanted to but that wouldn't make it a better development plan or a better game than DCSS

IMHO it's impressive you made a game worse and more poorly designed than DCSS
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 00:21

A dev team which releases 1 - 2 new versions per year is better than a dev team that does not release a new version in about 12 years.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 18th December 2015, 01:48

duvessa wrote:there are more actively developed NetHack forks than actively developed Linley's Dungeon Crawl forks.

I hope you included pizza tornado in your count despite rumors it is still in active development!!!!!

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 19th December 2015, 13:40

duvessa wrote:
dpeg wrote:HG: No, not at all. It is as if nothing happened with DCSS development, for ten years, while (former? dormant?) developers still claiming to "work on the next release". This is what happened with Nethack.
Oh, get off your high horse. Releasing more often doesn't make you better than them
I'll stay on my horse.

The question is not whether Crawl or Nethack is the better game -- there's enough breadth in roguelikes that games with such different design philosophies should exist.

The real difference is the mode of development: Nethack has totally embraced the ivory tower approach, which almost killed the game. Now it is not a problem if a game reaches maturity and that's the end of the story, and of its development cycle. However, the Nethack devteam has always claimed to "still work on it" (they were accepting and commenting on bug/fixes, for example). When they didn't churn out anything for a decade. That's the kicker.

Crawl was in a process of stagnation when development was solely with Brent. But before that, Linley handed over code and development to a team when he couldn't work on Crawl anymore. And in DCSS, we have made a point of actively acquiring new blood, to avoid precisely the pitfall of Nethack. That was a conscious decision and it is something I am proud of. Proud enough to not let me or my horse get clouded by a source of negativity like you.

and you know damn well that there are more actively developed NetHack forks than actively developed Linley's Dungeon Crawl forks.
Not only I do I know damn well, I encourage Crawl forks. What's your point? A game is better if it has more forks? Perhaps you should invest in cutlery!

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
gammafunk

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 19th December 2015, 13:49

dpeg wrote:Not only I do I know damn well, I encourage Crawl forks. What's your point? A game is better if it has more forks? Perhaps you should invest in cutlery!

That's the god damn dunk of the month right there folks.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner