When Crawl decides that you will die

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 11th June 2011, 13:16

When Crawl decides that you will die

We've all had those games where you just don't get a break, where every step ends up as a life or death battle, when the game seems to just hate you and wants you dead at all costs.

Share the stories you guys have got of when nothing goes right and the odds just never seem to have been in your favour, and the epic last stands that (hopefully) come out of them (well, that or stories of fleeing a lot).

Naturally, I'll start: Just had a game with a DrVM, which was one of the most insane games I've played. Was a bit harder than normal for the first few levels but nothing unmanageable, a frog on D:2, Blork on D:4, who I swiped a venom glaive from (I was intending on going hybrid, and that was too good to pass up on). Picked up Sif, turned out to be a yellow draconian, then on D:7 I hit a shaft to D:10. Uh-oh. I wind up in a small area (few corridors but cut-off from the rest of the level) with Gastronok for company. After a few prying attempts at him, I go upstairs in order not to become slug food (I should mention I had no escape methods besides mephitic cloud and swiftness for the whole game). Come up to D:9 near an orcish castle, cool! Or so I thought, until I saw Wargs. A LOT of them (in the end I killed something like 20 in that one level). I'm a Venom Mage, crap... That glaive I'd picked up and built some skill with was a life-saver, as I could take a Warg out 1v1 no problems, but there were enough to wear out all my potions an send me upstairs again.

Clear out D:8 and the tiny bit left of D:7 no problems, then head back down. I cleared the rest of the level easy and found the entrance to the lair, then headed back to that castle (I don't like leaving parts of levels uncleared, may not be the best idea but still). About 10-20 minutes later, and a lot of dead Wargs and orcs, I've cleared the outside of the castle (and nearly died half a dozen times) and cautiously walk in. Out to greet me are a Knight and a freaking Warlord. Needless to say I ran as fast as possible upstairs and replaced my pants. Coming back down I snuck around and cleared the castle while those two were away, then decided to search for the warlord. I figured, I have mephitic cloud and swiftness, and the castle has that moat, keep him away from stuff to throw through my head and I'll be fine.

Surprisingly, this works! One drowned Warlord and 2300 xp later, I'm feeling pleased with myself, except that a jelly had spawned near the castle and I didn't have many options since I didn't want to risk corroding all my stuff, well, that and there were about 20 of them very quickly. I head downstairs, I figure I'll clear the rest of D:10 then hit the Lair. I ended up bailing D:10 quickly due to a 7-headed Hydra and a pack of Wights (didn't like the thought of being drained a heap). Back up to D:9, avoid being killed by the Orc Knight, who I'd forgotten about, and went into the Lair.

First thing I see, very open level, eww. Second thing, a bunch of rats at the stairs, a giant slug, and Harold guarding the only path away. I move away, clear the rats out, then try and take Harold. He drinks an invisibility potion but gets hit by meph so I back off to let him become visible again. I rest up, move foward to attack Harold again, and I'm greeted by an 8-headed Hydra. And at this point, I gave up and quit, honestly. Upstairs were 20 jellies and a Knight, who I probably couldn't kill. I could've hit swiftness and tried to outrun the Hydra until I lost it, but that'd likely wind up with the rest of the lair following me, and after at this point most of an hour in constant near-death experiences I'd had enough and conceeded to Crawl that character, he was obviously cursed, anyway.

For this message the author DemonOfWrath has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 11th June 2011, 15:23

Re: When Crawl decides that you will die

I once played a Deep Elf Berserker. Can't remember the exact details, but he had to run A LOT, until he had no food left and died with a flat stomach.... (He was so goddamn weak even berserking barely saved his ass against Hill Giants and other mid-game residents :( )

Running away is only fun with a Mummy, indeed :)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 11th June 2011, 18:36

I can't remember the exact details as it was a while back, but I had one character that the RNG had just decided would starve to death, and there was nothing I could do about it. I found no permafood, hardly anything left a corpse, and those that did mostly made me sick. I was almost constantly very hungry or near starving, though I managed to get to around D:8 or 9 in that state before succumbing to the inevitable.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 03:01

I call this phenomenon of RNG psychosis the "catastrophe avalanche". Bad times.

Last several games I've been having weird experiences in which low level monsters kill me in situations I normally win easily in. Hobgoblins and like that.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 03:11

Once, I successfully made a HuTr embark on a journey for runes in Pan. But apparently that didn't stop a Hobgoblin from clubbing my other HuTr to death on D:1....

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 05:11

My current CeTm had some pretty hideous luck early-game and would of 100% splatted if it wasn't for my Ce movement speed.
It all began with a minor D:9 shafting to D:10 which landed me in some skeleton warriors, which really hurt but luckily I was speedy and made it back up.. only to fall down another shaft on D:9 a few seconds later. So now I'm on D:12 feeling a little miffed, but I thought I was pretty lucky since I'm right near some stairs and I only have to get past the skele warriors again, WRONG! Going to the stairs I proceed to fall down ANOTHER shaft to D:15 where I find a vaults entrance party with centaurs and all sorts of nasties before I've even seen the damn lair or even the orcish mines! I run for it upstairs only to find myself face to face with Azrael!!! I have a measly 1 pip of rF at this point and his fireballs send me running in a big circle while I desperately try to find some stairs. After I manage to scramble up I decide to poke around D:12 and 13 to get some exp and maybe loot to deal with the the skeles, it's a good thing I did really since I then proceeded to find a dragon waiting for me on D:11. :roll:

For this message the author Dustbin has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, pratamawirya

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 05:16

Three shaftings in quick succession - that's terrible luck!

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 10:54

Grimm wrote:Three shaftings in quick succession - that's terrible luck!

I think I've only had a few starvations since .5.2. I've a a few more double shaftings. Lately, every Wz I make has had good games, but they've neither been able to find, buy, or get gifted any book that has a level 3-4 zap spell. I'll stare down and Ice Beast or an Imp with Magic Dart, after that, great utility spells and consumables or not, I start to hit the "What can I do?" wall pretty hard. Heck, one or two (or maybe a few) even managed to clear the better parts of Orc 1 - 3 and Lair 1 - 7. Sometimes the Xom just hates.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 16:49

This one almost made me throw my keyboard through my screen. Nothing makes me angrier than having an awesome find screwed by luck so bad it's hard to believe it's all random...

I found a dagger of speed AND a vampiric saber for my Kenku Assassin on D1, my two favorite weapons. When I went down to D2, Sigmund was waiting for me. I lost him on the next set of stairs I found, only to show up next to a ghost. I narrowly escaped the ghost on another set of stairs and who's sitting right there? Grinder. I actually managed to survive being paralyzed to take yet another flight of steps but Edward was sitting 5 blocks away with a pocket full of daggers. I did not manage a fourth lucky escape. BLARG!!!!

Are we sure there isn't RNG karma? I never run into crap like that when I find a ring of hunger and a lemon on D1...

For this message the author Atma has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 21:33

Grimm wrote:Three shaftings in quick succession - that's terrible luck!

Indeed. You might even say...you got shafted! *duck*

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 23:18

JeffQyzt wrote:Indeed. You might even say...you got shafted! *duck*

You know that Shaft is one bad moth....
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 13th June 2011, 04:09

Shut yo mouth!

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 13th June 2011, 06:39

In my online game: Louise, Mara, Rocca, Nikola and Norris on the same level.
Mangled by Mennas

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 13th June 2011, 11:09

oh, infamous unique's poker-party. I bet Mara was cheating as always

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 08:12

But I'm talkin' 'bout Shaft!
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 08:19

Shafts are one of my favorite features of Crawl. When one hits, I am keen to see what the RNG will smack me with.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 12:28

My offering for this thread is a recent game where the very first monster I encountered was a kobold... with a blade of flaming. I died still in sight of the Dungeon's entrance, scoring a grand total of 20 points after an 8 second run. Adding insult to injury, the actual death blow only did 1 point of damage.

That humiliation reminded me of nothing so much as the episode of Spongebob Squarepants where Spongebob at last gains admittance to the tough Salty Spittoon tavern... only to slip on a piece of ice walking in, inflicting upon himself a "boo boo" that landed him in the hospital (with a doctor who wanted to move him to Weenie Hut General!).

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 13:14

Happy Corner wrote:My offering for this thread is a recent game where the very first monster I encountered was a kobold... with a blade of flaming. I died still in sight of the Dungeon's entrance, scoring a grand total of 20 points after an 8 second run. Adding insult to injury, the actual death blow only did 1 point of damage.

The entry vault where you start between two rivers of deep water and there are kobolds on the other side of both rivers pelting you with darts. (If that vault is still in 0.8 and beyond, that is.) There's a down stair near you, but if your character is squishy enough you may not last long enough to use it.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 13:17

Stormfox wrote:There's a down stair near you

The first time I found that one, I got really mad because there didn't seem to be any doors even after much searching. I hadn't even thought about the downstairs and had almost starved to death before I realised :oops:
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 18th June 2011, 05:54

Demonspawn fire elementalist, trunk 0.6 I believe, something around there, maybe 0.7, I'd just started playing so I still wasn't really paying attention to version numbers. Demonspawn fire elementalist I believe, hit autotravel, walked five steps forward or so, a fire cloud spawned on top of me, killing me instantly.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 27th June 2011, 19:28

My brother once made a Chaos Knight of Xom. He got about five steps away from the dungeon entrance before Xom blasted him for about 50 damage.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 27th June 2011, 22:32

TwilightPhoenix wrote:My brother once made a Chaos Knight of Xom. He got about five steps away from the dungeon entrance before Xom blasted him for about 50 damage.

This is just wrong :lol:

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 28th June 2011, 05:58

true story:

Morguefile, 3:11am, June 13, 2011.
Level 18 HE crusader. So I finish killing Roka, Boris, Agnes, Aizul, Rupert, Frederick, Xtahua, and Donald, all slumming down in Snake. I'm in really good shape this game, equipment and character wise, but I need a breather, so I go roaming along Elf: 3 to pick up some easy XP; stumble into Nikola and wipe the floor with him. Decide it's time to go back to my stash and re-equip, when who should I run into but Kirke, asleep in a corridor, 4-5 pigs around her. I'm level 18 and have very resistant MR, with the MR mutation; not great MR, so I buff up while I consider my options. she nails me with piggification just after I finish speed buffing. That would be because my Scimitar of the Lonely Moons decided to start singing opera at that precise moment. Then she starts summoning very ugly brown things who give me an acid bath. Down to no health, I manage to somehow desperately and elaborately lose all the pigs and very ugly brown things, stair-dancing safely back to Elf: 2 despite a brown thing having been right next to me...

..only to be one-shotted by a lousy deep elf fighter's puff of frost, on a level I'd made a point of clearing out.

Ok, ragequit... 5 minute cooldown...

...the next game:

Morguefile, 3:53pm, June 13, 2011.
Level 15 HE Crusader. Strolling by a jewellery shop on D: 14 when, who is that i spy... Kirke. Bitch is gonna die for last game (foreshadowing: I had just, just acquired the aptly named "Gloves of Wrong Decisions": +5Str, +4Dam (why don't i ever get equipment like that any more???) ). Even better, I've got a teleport trap right around the corner. I get my berzerk on, start hacking... and... piggified. I squeal away to the teleport trap, thinking 'pig will have it's day yet, Kirke!'...

...except i've failed to notice that not all three stairs have been traversed, and there's another section to D:14. this other section contains a Blossoming Altar of Fedhas. and this altar contains--what else?--a trigger-happy centaur. and we're together in a 16x16 room, with one buffer space between the walls. i'm starting out in the lower right corner...

Run, piggy, run---squeeee. Ragequit.

...the very next game:

Morguefile, 8:50pm, June 13, 2011. Level 11 HE Crusader.
Doodling along on L12, just, just spotted the entrance to Hive in my LOS, and just made my L1 in shields, feeling good, ready to build up some cheap shield XP in Hive, head for it... plunge down a shaft to D: 14. Guess who is TWO FRICKIN' TILES AWAY FROM ME. Third game in a row. I say to myself, "self, you aren't going to tempt fate a third time, are you?"

No.

I berzerk and use it to get the hell away. Amazingly, Kirke DOESN'T manage to piggify me this time. No, this time I run straight into a slime creature pack, blocking my escape corridor, as soon as i'm slowed, so I can't kite them as they merge. I nevertheless have him down to almost dead, but I know that even though Kirke didn't pig me, she has already managed to curse me somehow. Kirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk-e!

Slime wins.

i just stared out my window for a long time after that. that was my last morguefile for June 13.

For this message the author QTQuazar has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner