How do you name your characters?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

I Roleplay properly and make them up. Even though its a roguelike. (Go Figure)
24%
Since I hate my in-laws, I name them after family members. (The Worms option)
No votes
I name them after people I know. Or pets. (The Projector)
1%
Hello Behind the Name! (I do Research)
4%
Random Keystrokes or 1337. (y0u g33k)
3%
I use characters from other games/animes/literature etc. (Sincerest Flattery?)
15%
Varies from semi-cohesive to plain rude. (Moody)
21%
I don't form such childish attachments to my characters. (Hardcore)
8%
I play myself, continually re-incarnated as a wide variety of creatures. (Masochistic Buddhist)
19%
I leave it up to Xom. Since he finds this hilarious. (Random)
5%

Total votes : 78

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 10th June 2011, 22:39

Didn't see this one asked anywhere and I was interested in a random etymology study. ;)

This thought came after I've seen a couple of first time new name characters survive in wacky fashions, only to see a certain name die time after time. Which led me to the paranoid delusion of wondering whether the game generates things depending on how much it likes the name!! :D

Anyway:
What kind of poor souls do you choose to send on the hopeless quest to Zot and why?
Who survives?
What names do you like and why?

I myself am a 'Sincerest Flattery' type, since I plagerise all of the characters I can remember and find cool or amusing from various literature and shows and anime (as seen in my CIP thread about Shinobu Oshino the VaAs, who is from Bakemonogatari). Sometimes I end up with tropes and internet memes as well, like I did briefly play 'Ceiling Cat the Felid Priest of Zin'. I also downright steal from the Pen and Paper games I GM; a couple of the demi-gods and goddesses transmigrated across from my D&D setting; along with several Drakahn NPCs (Draconians) after I modded the player tiles to match my setting (The longest surviving of which is now Mir Argent, a DrTr, although she ended up with the wrong tail colour!).
Last edited by eharper256 on Friday, 10th June 2011, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 10th June 2011, 22:43

Re: How do you name your characters?

As the other vote, I'm moody. I either pick descriptive names, like IceWraps the MuIE, or EffyouXom the Chaos Knight, or Alf, the HeWz.

I generally expect them to die.

I had a long run of characters named Orc Moses because I died as a HoPr and just never bothered to change.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 11th June 2011, 03:47

I basically like to name my characters something that mean something, but that something is kind of silly or so ordinary it becomes silly. Like my successful Mummy Berserker, 15 runes, I named him "Muke Lo Jauh". I don't know if that sounds cool or what to you Westerners, but it's an Indonesian slang which means "Your face is far" (some Indonesians like to say it when the other person is doing or saying something silly) :)

The dudes with silly names usually survive. The dudes with somewhat functional/cool names (like "King Arthur" or something) usually don't :?

Another of my successful characters was a six-runer Deep Elf Berserker (yes, you ought to know it by now, I had a thing for difficult combos :P ) named "Pencari Tuhan", which means "God Seeker" in English. Yeah, this one doesn't sound so silly... but not really cool either :) (I named him that because I didn't expect him to survive (seeking God = seeking death, got that?), because... you know, a Deep Elf Berserker? :lol: )

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 11th June 2011, 05:20

I tend to use the same name for the same build. All my MDFi are Grimm. Maybe I'll retire that when/if I ascend one. When I play other builds I come up with something flavourful for them - Trolls are called things like Graarg, High Elves are Noel or Quentin, etc.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 11th June 2011, 05:28

"XuaXua" over and over because I play the same thing till I win or vary it. Sucks with the ghosts.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 11th June 2011, 07:29

If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 09:02

Hmm, I did kind of expect to see a chunk of 'moody' type and masochistic buddhist responses, but its nice I'm not the only one who draws upon literary/entertainment sources.

The dudes with somewhat functional/cool names (like "King Arthur" or something) usually don't

Don't forget, King Arthur needs to be a female character! Ideally with a special wizmode made Holy Wrath sword (shameless Fate/Stay Night reference LOL). :)

(seeking God = seeking death, got that?)

In a fantasy setting, though, seeking god could imply a character seeking truth from religion or seeking to be a god. Still, I like all your names.

"XuaXua" over and over because I play the same thing till I win or vary it. Sucks with the ghosts.

So I imagine. You're going to have a dungeon infested with clones eventually!

Anyhow, cool beans, keep them coming.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

For this message the author eharper256 has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 10:44

I just made an OgTr. I named him "Dungeon Crawl".

Of course he died, in a very sad way :lol: :lol: :lol:

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 10:46

I just call them 'Shade'. I suppose that's closest to Masochist Buddhist.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 12:38

Great thread!

Particularly for offline play, I like names that suggest something about the character so that the ghost name is meaningful (at least to me). But I am not consistent; sometimes naming well is too tough.

Examples:
For hill-orcs, I tend to go for Hillary, or for Jesus references. ;-)
Trolls: Trig, Grunt, Thump, Ug.
Dwarves: Stumpy, Grumpy, Teeny. (Gives a whole new perspective to the message "You feel dopey.")
Slude elves: Slippy.

Draconians/Transmuters/Fire based: Annomander Rake (or similar). From the Malazan book of the dead series, which is a very good fantasy series (where the author actually finishes writing instead of dying or getting distractracted by making a TV show...). IMO those books have something or the same 'feel' as Crawl does. If you like long fantasy series, that one is unmissable.
That's also where the name Dassem Ultor comes from. - I just started playing online as Ultor, as a loosely death-themed longsword wielder.

Generally if I come up with a really good name the character will be doomed by level 3.

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 13:52

I called my characters Joel, until I ascended one. Then I call them the very first thing that pops into my head, no matter how stupid, and a name gets played until I ascend it.

If I start a side game or games, I add new names, which also get played until they win.

The current name board looks like this:

Spoon, a level 25 Sludge Elf Necromancer of Sif Muna
Spike, a level 4 Spriggan Stalker
Lemon, a level 9 Human Death Knight of Yredelemnul (the name Lemon is reserved for HuDKs until it wins, one zotsplat so far)
Hiram, a level 2 Octopode Transmuter (so excited about this, you have no idea)
Gomez, a level 16 Spriggan Artificer of Nemelex Xobeh (he's been parked since 0.8 was the experimental branch, I got bored)
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 17:23

joellercoaster wrote:The current name board looks like this:

Spoon, a level 25 Sludge Elf Necromancer of Sif Muna
Spike, a level 4 Spriggan Stalker
Lemon, a level 9 Human Death Knight of Yredelemnl (the name Lemon is reserved for HuDKs until it wins, one zotsplat so far)
Hiram, a level 2 Octopode Transmuter (so excited about this, you have no idea)
Gomez, a level 16 Spriggan Artificer of Nemelex Xobeh (he's been parked since 0.8 was the experimental branch, I got bored)

Mm, a nameboard list? Good idea sir...
Here's my current roster:
As you can see, all of mine are anime/literary characters.

Oh, and Octopode is in Trunk now? That's cool to know, I haven't been keeping up to date much with it, but it does mean that I make an Ikamusume when 0.9 stable comes out, heh...

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 19:16

i play mostly online but i have some different accounts, nyaa for spriggans, cirno for sprints, moekitten for felids... i guess when i switch to deep elves and/or dwarves i will create another acc and name it deepkitten or something, *kitten is a good postfix anyway :3

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 19:21

eharper256 wrote:Ikamusume

:D

Technically I think Ika are decapodes though (depending on how you count tentacles I guess) :P
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 20:15

joellercoaster wrote:
eharper256 wrote:Ikamusume

:D

Technically I think Ika are decapodes though (depending on how you count tentacles I guess) :P
Eh, details, I never counted the number of prehensile hair tentacles she had anyway. :lol:
Guess it means another sprite alteration I need to do again though.

Although off-topic, this reminds me, why isn't prehensile hair a mutation choice yet? With 3 levels for Speed, Power and Technique! (or perhaps even the ability to wield extra items, though that would probably make it a no-brainer choice and the devs don't like that, do they?) :ugeek:

moekitten wrote:cirno
Oh gods.

Wait, there's a good challenge, actually. You need to keep this characters intelligence at (9) at all times.
Whilst playing... an Ice Elementalist!
And... using no other types of attack or spell!

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 13th June 2011, 03:12

>Wait, there's a good challenge, actually. You need to keep this characters intelligence at (9) at all times.
>Whilst playing... an Ice Elementalist!

even a trie starts with 11 int :3

also i don't care much for roleplay but i won some sprints with ice casters using that account, ice is a powerful magic school after all ^^

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 05:15

I name my characters after characters from fantasy books and movies, usually. Mostly characters from Dragaerea / Song of Ice and Fire / First Law.

Ninefingers! The Hound! The Imp! Shivers!
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 11:00

smeej wrote: First Law.

"You sense battle. You suddenly really feel the urge to go piss." :)

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 13:03

I don't roleplay in game, because I like winning, but I admit I do make up race- appropriate names for every character. And if I'm having trouble getting a build off the ground, my first response is to change the name. Clearly it was unlucky.
Dowan says "Her death will not be in vain!"
You bludgeon Dowan!
This raw flesh tastes great!

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 23:04

My most successful character so far is a Vampire Summoner named "Bastard".

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 00:06

I have a long history of giving my characters naughty (if not downright obscene) names. Sometimes I let the race in question influence this. For example, most of my Mountain Dwarf and Minotaur Berserkers have phallic names, usually slang terms for an erection. My recent Naga characters also lend themselves well to phallic naming. On the other hand, my Kobolds and Trolls and Ghouls - never ones to embrace the hoity-toity politeness of those wussy races that DON'T pig out on raw meat - happily accept any crass insulting name that I give them. They understand well that if there's anything more humiliating than being defeated in battle, it's being defeated by some braindead monster that sounds like he was named by a drunken middle-schooler!

When I inevitably die, it takes the edge off by giving me a moment of (admittedly juvenile) amusement to see these names plastered all over the high score table. It reminds me not to get frustrated and start taking the game too seriously. Having ghosts like this wandering around can't help but make the Dungeon a more colorful place, too.

Alternately, when I'm trying out a new race/class combo that will almost certainly die a humiliating death before I even get to the Temple, I will give them the name of a celebrity that I loathe. I am terrified that this will someday backfire horrifically and I will be forced to do a YAVP to honor, say, TomCruise or P-Hilton or ChuckSheen... but so far the RNG has not proven that malevolent.

For this message the author Happy Corner has received thanks: 3
MyOtheHedgeFox, pratamawirya, TehDruid

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 11:23

Happy Corner wrote:Alternately, when I'm trying out a new race/class combo that will almost certainly die a humiliating death before I even get to the Temple, I will give them the name of a celebrity that I loathe. I am terrified that this will someday backfire horrifically and I will be forced to do a YAVP to honor, say, TomCruise or P-Hilton or ChuckSheen... but so far the RNG has not proven that malevolent.

HA HA HA HA HA

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 14th August 2011, 15:31

I mostly use names derived from musician's names and character names I just like. Or take a Musician name and mix it with something a little fantasy like "Errol Rose" Axl, Lemmy, Blackie, Philo, Sixx, etc. Mix and match like Lemmy Lawless. Or occasionally just something odd and random like my last character I named was EyeScream.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 14th August 2011, 17:56

Usually go with Defen, short for "defenestrate". First Law seems like a brilliant idea in all respects, though. I'd love to code a Glokta variant (torment every time a staircase is used) if I knew how.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 14th August 2011, 19:39

Xom guides my naming schemes. Sometimes I use somewhat appropriate names, sometimes I use real ones. Sometimes they're a string of random syllables. Sometimes it's a terrible misspelling of the race/class combo (Spreegun Inchahntur). Sometimes I'll go to Seventh Sanctum and use on of their name generators to make a name (Mist Raven and Solarius Seabreeze). Sometimes the name will be a random reference to something I like, usually keeping with the flavor I intend for the character. The only exception where I show any consistency is with Felids, who all get lolcatish names (RAAAAAGEEE CAAAAAT).

The four examples I gave are my current ascenders.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

For this message the author TwilightPhoenix has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Sewers Scotsman

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 07:43

I went through a phase of naming my characters in an alphabetical code: starting with Alan Andrews, then Alison Bishop, Angel Curtis, ... Absalom Zebulon, then on to Barry Alpha, Brutus Benson, etc.

But after a few trips through the alphabet I began to get (a) get bored of thinking up new names, and (b) depressed by how quickly I was getting through names. So I stopped, and now I just name my characters after something I see lying around - Roget's Thesaurus - and stick with it til I get bored.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 13:08

New race proposal: Thesaurus.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 13:45

Grimm wrote:New race proposal: Thesaurus.

Synonym the Wordfinder (level 5, -2/27 HPs)
Began as a Thesaurus Wizard on Aug 16, 2011.
Was the champion of Roget.

Mangled by an orc warrior
...wielding a +5,+5 Book of Power
(12 damage)
... on Level 5 of the Dungeon on Aug 16, 2011.
The game lasted 00:21:14 (9208 turns).

You worshipped Roget.
Roget was exalted by your worship.

For this message the author Confidence Interval has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 14:48

Roget was enlivened, lauded, invigorated, thrilled, transfigured, exalted, tickled pink, animated, inspired, exhilarated, inebriated, glorified, spiritualized, extolled by your worship.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 15:31

All the same, there're only a limited number of ways to say "YASD".

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 15:38

You open the thesaurus like a pillowcase!

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 15:44

You open the pillowcase like a thesaurus.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 16:03

You rupture the glossary like a sack!
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 16:38

Confidence Interval wrote:All the same, there're only a limited number of ways to say "YASD".

Yet another foolish demise.
Yet another silly end.
Yet another unintelligent murder.
Yet another idiotic loss of life.
Yet another scatterbrained massacre.
Yet another nonsensical execution.
Yet another ludicrous eternal rest.
Yet another senseless quietus.
Yet another unwise passing.
Yet another vapid expiry.

Etc. and etc. I had to stop myself.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

For this message the author TwilightPhoenix has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Sewers Scotsman

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 16:54

TwilightPhoenix wrote:
Confidence Interval wrote:All the same, there're only a limited number of ways to say "YASD".

Yet another foolish demise.
Yet another silly end.
Yet another unintelligent murder.
Yet another idiotic loss of life.
Yet another scatterbrained massacre.
Yet another nonsensical execution.
Yet another ludicrous eternal rest.
Yet another senseless quietus.
Yet another unwise passing.
Yet another vapid expiry.

Etc. and etc. I had to stop myself.

I have over 2500 SDs to my credit. 2490 synonyms needed, please.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 16th August 2011, 17:56

My computer's thesaurus has 10 entries for yet, 3 for another, 64 entires for stupid and 24 for death. So while you would have to use each word multiple, multiple times, it does result in 46080 unique combinations. Better get to splatting! :P

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2011, 19:47

The difference between naming and calling is a kitten named 'pussycat', called 'getoffthecouch'
I also played some nethack ^my rc on nao^ before started playing crawl,
other offline chars are letters from sentences or quotes like 'gtac' give tiles a chance,
tsisooma - the sun is shining out of my a** for DS or something like wthiwwyp.
Mostly I dont play more than two or thee chars..
Even with TabO alone Tiles player get a feeling of Console.
There is no mouse in crawl;
Hit ?? ingame!

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 25th September 2011, 02:50

I name them after various things I have to do. Such as "Do Bio Homework" and "Pay Rent" and "Laundry After This." I Also had a large run of characters named "001" "002" etc..

For this message the author AtT has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, pratamawirya

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 25th September 2011, 04:35

I think of a name and then use it. I try to come up with different ones for every character, some serious, some not; if I particularly like a name, I may re-use it.

It's more fun looking at my high score lists that way.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 25th September 2011, 12:06

I exclusively play online so it's one of Elynae (normal stuff, weird stuff, fun stuff), hyperelynae (random combos), elynaeandxom (CKs), cerebovssquire (just an alternative account if Elynae is being used or something and that barely ever gets used).

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 25th September 2011, 19:19

I just smash two words together, or just use a longer word that stands for death or hopelessness.

For Example:
Bloodclaw, Ripfang, RipGuts. FaceMelt, KillStab, RageBlade, Oblivion, FistKick, DeadEye, RedTooth, FrostBite, TrollBlood, FaceKick, FaceRip, JellyPump, and CakeHat.

You know stuff like that.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 00:35

Back in ToME, since I only needed to make one up every twelve hours or so, so I named them after all kinds of things in a Sincerest Flattery style.

In this game I just name them all after myself.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2011, 19:30

I have specific names that I use repeatedly for specific builds, i.e. my DDNe's are named "REND HATEFORGE", my MiBe's are named "WARCHIEF BLOODHOOF", etc. But I try to keep them relatively fantasy-oriented, and I hate cribbing names from other sources (the only exception being my HOPr's named "Zahubu").

Naming fantasy characters is really fun.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 06:46

After trying out Trogdore the Incinerator (Draconian Fire Elementalist), I came up with even sillier remake:
Trocutor the Elec!!! (Draconian Air Elementalist)
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 12:54

My characters typically reincarnate 14 or 15 times before I send someone else into the dungeon. The characters are named after the first name I hear when I turn on the radio. I had a Harold Camping recently, he died.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 13:07

My latest DEBe was named James Steel. And he splat, of course.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 26th October 2011, 07:05

Name somebody Mariana Mamba. ;)

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 26th October 2011, 15:44

Sharkie, Sharky, Sharkz, Shaken etc. I'm boring like that.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 28th October 2011, 04:55

More often than not these days, I name my characters based on how their abbreviated combo is pronounced. Like 'Hoper' for a HOPr, or 'Trophy' for a TrFi.

For this message the author nosrepemos has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, pratamawirya

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 28th October 2011, 05:31

My naming scheme goes as such... Step 1: make character with awesome name. Step 2: watch it die in under 4000 rounds. Step 3: make ridiculously named character. Step 4: Win.
Next

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner