General .17 tournament thoughts and funny clan names

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd November 2015, 22:34

General .17 tournament thoughts and funny clan names

So the tournament is over, and I like making writeups and talking about myself a lot, so here goes.

Didn't really have that many expectations for this tournament, after it was announced on short notice I wasn't really sure who from my .16 clan was around, so after a day or two sitting around I just declared myself captain and added Sphara (we've been on teams together since .12 I think, except for .13?) and SaintRoka, and figured even if we didn't fill it up we could at least unite under my awesome name, "A farewell to throwing aptitudes". Turns out by just playing on webtiles I had two people join tiles chat and ask to join, bringing us up to 5, and then I finally got around to actually adding mopl from the .16 team for our 6th, just a delay in reading forum PM's. Fortunately I didn't double book any spots.

When sharkman joined tiles chat and asked for the space, I responded with my general "Do you think you can get a win or two? I'd like to place top 10ish or so in the clan competition." The response was "I'm ranked #1 player in the tournament"...So I think he had me beat there. He ended up finishing at #5, and certainly carried the team :) While competition between us and "rlgs BIG BLACK THROBBING Macabre Finger Necklace" was fierce and we bounced back and forth for a while, we eventually emerged victorious as the #1 clan. That makes me the winner of everything, right? Despite being 5th on my team? ;) Start playing the lonely island song "Like A Boss" in your heads now, thanks.

I'll probably write up more about the individual games over in YAVP/YASD land, but the general overview of my tournament was two early wins that weren't too hard to get, giving me a good win rate, followed by a huge streak of horrible mistakes, killing off several characters who were "won" including one on the orb run out, and several with runes. Win rate plummeted. Finally I pulled out of the nose dive with a TrEE of Chei for 15 runes as my first two wins hadn't done extended and I needed the 15 rune points. Managed to attach a VSNe of Ru with 3 runes for a streak, although it ended at 2. Still, a total of 4 wins wasn't terribly off from the "about 5" goal I had set, even if a bit short.

Clan names!

Obviously I already mentioned my own, a reference to "A farewell to arms" and the throwing nerf - now that it uses unarmed mechanics, we can't possibly let anyone have more than +1 aptitude to it, of course. +2 would be silly, and you're a silly person for asking. But enough about me, here's other clans that have great names:

Makhleb Means Flower in Klingon - Interesting AND informative!
Quokka Flokka Flame - This one is just fun to say. For some reason I'm thinking of Yoga flame from street fighter, not sure if that's intentional.
Inability and Counterproductivity - Straightforward name, I mention this only because they placed 12th with only 4 members. If anything, they were quite productive (of clan points). If you added two members with the clan average score, they'd have placed 3rd. Of course the fourth place team also only had four members, but hey.
DrAk Lives Matter - It took me a very long time not to read this as "dark", which is obviously intentional but I still just couldn't unsee "drak" for the longest time.
Xom thinks we are hilarious - Sorry, I have to give you a negative mention...no one on your team won a game with Xom. That's just false advertising.
Singularity Solidarity Society - I feel your pain. RIP spriggans and felids abusing +4 translocations aptitudes.
Crazy Yiufs Discount Hammers - You might want to double check your inventory, I think he's sold out.
The I in Team - Have to give mursu credit for this one, they were in fact a team of one.
nameofteam - angelofwar follows all instructions, precisely.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks: 2
chequers, RBrandon

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 23rd November 2015, 23:58

Re: General .17 tournament thoughts and funny clan names

So this was my first tournament that I had very much participation, and overall I am pretty satisfied with my results. I came in 23rd, with a 37% win rate.

My most notable game was probably my first. It was a HOAs that broke my personal turn count and real time records, as well as being the lowest turn count win of the tournament for... a few hours anyway :) It was partially luck with moon TLA and a slick randart great mace of speed and part Yred running over several difficult parts of the game for me. At some point I just noticed my turn count was lower than usual for me and just tried to see how far I could push it.

My favorite game was probably my OgAE. A mystery altar gave me Lugonu, which was neat. I quickly discovered the secret tech of combining Gell's with corpse rot and the character quickly became great at everything. Heavy throwing made the rest of the game fairly easy.

The one thing I wished I could have done was get a longer streak. I probably wanted to break that record more than the speed run ones, so that was frustrating. I overall find the early game irritating, but I think I'm getting better at it nevertheless.

I have never been a part of a clan, but that could be fun in the future. Shout outs to Talonman2 and BLOAX for spectating and advice.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 24th November 2015, 00:50

You somehow managed to miss the best clan name of all: GOZAG-TRUMP 2016- MAKE CRAWL GREAT AGAIN.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
prozacelf

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th November 2015, 02:04

You know, I almost included that one, but if I include all of them, then what's left for other people to post? Somehow I'm not sure Trump would let himself be vice-president, but hey, Gozag is a god, maybe he could make it happen.

RBrandon: Definitely try a team next tournament, it's fun. I mean, think of my case: What sounds better: I ranked 95th, or I'm the captain of the #1 team? I mean, I'm not only in first place, but also demonstrating leadership skills! No, I'm not taking myself seriously either.

Also since I called out the Xom team for not winning Xom, I should give credit to "AWBW - Brusque ruthless rubes rudely recouping rupees rubles and runes for Ru" - in addition to being creative restrained writing, they did in fact win a Ru game - though it was pretty close to the wire. They didn't have the Ru win until ~7 hours before the tournament closed; still, it counts.
Last edited by tasonir on Tuesday, 24th November 2015, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 24th November 2015, 02:12

I upheld clan Edit-Nevermind Dead's reputation by losing a streaking SpEn on the ascent, an ascetic SpEn and a streaking HOGl of Elyvilon after clearing Zot:1-4.

For this message the author CanOfWorms has received thanks:
chequers

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 24th November 2015, 03:56

I got the highscore for a Nemelex choice for once! Sadly somebody sniped #8 for it first, so I didn't get the points.

In hindsight, though, it was dumb of me to not go for the last 5 runes (Hells/Tomb). I'm fairly sure I could have beaten 94.6k turns to get the all-time DDTm high score.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 24th November 2015, 07:12

I won 2 games with the Macabre Finger Necklace on the "rlgs BIG BLACK THROBBING Macabre Finger Necklace" team, which pleased me greatly. Given the amount of artifacts I was swimming in every game I'd swear item generation became much more generous for the duration of the tournament.

I have also concluded via extensive comparative analysis between my performance in the .13 and .17 tournaments that crawl has become over 500% easier and Forest should be reinstated immediately and juggernauts should come in six packs and be called Chuggernauts
Spoiler: show
Psst, hey kid... you like roguelikes?

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 24th November 2015, 15:06

My highlight was being taken to 1 HP by Cerebov's fire storm as a FormiChei, stepping from time and coming back to see he had killed himself.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 24th November 2015, 15:16

wizzzargh wrote: Given the amount of artifacts I was swimming in every game I'd swear item generation became much more generous for the duration of the tournament.

Not sure about artifacts - had some nice ones early on too, but... I was thinking my games were sometimes even more jam packed with shops! Again, was that the tourney Santa?

I was very happy just to win one (and gather several more runes in attempts), when I've played so little online and lag is sometimes an issue here. Though mean yaktaurs did keep blasting a few of my attempts, while other things had me distracted or attrited. Am still trying to push through the endgame with my last character from the tourney.

Thanks to Dharmy for taking on fresh recruits and to Witidek for some helpful chat on CAO! I am a slow player (especially online) to finish anything in less than a few days, but this was still quite fun. 8-)
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 24th November 2015, 23:47

Im glad I was part of tasonir's team!
You had 1/2 Ancient Lich Tea Party with you ;) (Sharkman, glosham and me were part of that team last year).
Anyway it was nice and exciting (when I realised we can finish on 1st or 2nd place).
I could do it better (score-wise), and guess next year I will pay more attention on scoring rules, on getting more banners, and also to improve my gameplay overall.

About clan names I noticed these:
Slouching towards Zot and Hey Cheiboy are you a Naga or what :D
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 25th November 2015, 00:12

That's true, I probably need to give more credit to chei names. I should probably prepare a chei name for .18 ;)

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner