Early altars of Jiyva

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th November 2015, 08:29

Early altars of Jiyva

http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a=commit;h=02954cad73f6c5317550e43b5931e045c9a4dad7
  Code:
Move Jiyva altar vaults deeper (again).

On most characters an early Jiyva altar is just a trap; the god was not
designed for early worship like this. In the early game you simultaneously
lose more items to Jiyva (since you generally have to rest a lot more and
the jellies get killed less) and the lost items matter more (since you don't
have many items yet).

The Jiyva altar vaults in D now start on D:8 rather than D:4 and have
correspondingly more difficult monsters (jellies and slime creatures rather
than oozes and jellies). I left the two temples with Jiyva altars unchanged,
since with those the player is at least guaranteed to have a selection of
other tempting gods to choose from as well.

So, I do realize that compared to elliptic I am pretty much nobody, but my experience with early Jiyva was... different. The combination of piety being extremely easy to gain, being able to spawn neutral jellies to block enemy in corridors (since in early game they're capable fighters) and Slimify working on anything you could possibly want it to work and being available usually pretty early always made ol' Jello seem like a really good choice. Needless to say, I would always take early Jiyva altar on almost any combo, and got some wins this way too. However, the random altars have been pushed down several times recently. I guess slimy temple is enough, but I don't really see what pushing those altars to like D:8 accomplishes - by that time you've probably picked a god (since you can't rely on finding a slimy altar because it's like one in a hundred chance) and you probably don't want to suffer the wrath.

I'm not sure why I'm even posting it but I've typed it out and it's CYC so whatever.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 9
Arrhythmia, dynast, Lasty, n1000, ololoev, pubby, Sprucery, TehDruid, WingedEspeon

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 24th November 2015, 08:49

Re: Early altars of Jiyva

I agree. I always felt like an early Jiyva altar is a treat. Even if I've never had much success with it, it's a nice change. Will he at least still be available via the faded altars?

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 24th November 2015, 09:39

Jiyva isn't evil, right, just chaotic? So you can transfer from like... Elly (or TSO?) with no wrath. And Gozag's wrath is essentially nonexistant, though Gozag's wrath is the Golden Touch itself, really...
"This spell will have no effect right now because your brain is too dead to use."

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 24th November 2015, 09:57

Code:
On most characters an early Jiyva altar is just a trap; the god was not
designed for early worship like this

Yes, please, hold my hand all the time. Could you also add big red/blinking warnings to early ogres and require confirmation twice when I want to worship Cheibriados?

I agree that the placement of altar on d:8 is stupid. Nobody's going to check d:8 hoping for early jiyva, because the chance of altar spawning there is abysmal and 90% of gods are already available at d:7. The opportunity to worship Jiyva was rare and the change made it even smaller. Why not reduce slime spawn / consumption rate at low piety, for example, instead of making god inaccessible?

If instant worship is considered a bad move, a player can always return a bit later, when he feels more adequately equippped. The point is, a player has to know that the altar is in the dungeon before he commits to other god.

For this message the author Bart has received thanks: 3
Sar, Sprucery, The Ferret

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th November 2015, 10:09

Bart wrote:require confirmation twice when I want to worship Cheibriados

this sounds like a pretty good idea tbh

Eringya's Employee

Post Thursday, 26th November 2015, 17:46

#SlimeKnightPlz

In all seriousness, I have a great time with early Jiyva altars, she solves any hunger problems you may have and allows you to filter out bad mutations (on top of the things mentioned by Sar). But with the altar being so rare I never get the chance to try her with many characters...
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner