God Proposal: Inhaca, the Plague God

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 21st November 2015, 12:35

God Proposal: Inhaca, the Plague God

"Spread a plague worse than death!"

Inhaca is the god of poison and disease. Followers sacrifice their own health to infest enemies with insects, poisonous and debilitating effects.

Appreciates: Killing enemies.

Deprecates: Any sort of artificial healing or regeneration. Any healing effect(including regeneration spell, vampiric weapons, vampiric draining, vampire bite, powered by death mutation and so on) is nullified and the player is poisoned for that amount of HP instead, putting amulet of regeneration starts building up poison. This poison completely bypasses resistance but not immunity. Quaffing Curing will not heal but will remove any poison.

Players who Abandon Inhaca may receive the Decay effect when quaffing potions, get surrounded by durable summoned Deathcaps and find themselves standing into miasma clouds.

Piety level (0): "Diseased"
Grants rRot+++.
Piety level (*): "Stink"
Losing HP has a chance to summon insects around the player(similar to the rod of swarm). The chance and the summon's HD is based on piety .
Piety level (**): "Virulent"
Spit miasma - cost 10-15HP, Breath: Creates a miasma cloud at the target location.
Piety level (***): "Putrid"
Enemies grow sick by your presence as they stop regenerating life. The air itself becomes toxic, enemies inside your LoS become poisoned by shouting, roaring or executing wizard, priest or breath flagged actions.
Piety level (****): "Plagued"
Paralyzing Spikes - cost 15-25HP, Small Piety, Exhaustion - Spikes generates from your body and are hurled at the enemy, attempting to paralyse it.
Piety level (*****): "Decayed"
Brain Parasite - cost 20-35HP, Moderate Piety: Coat your weapon or hands with brain eating parasites that penetrates your enemy's wounds, causing Eternal Enslavement. In addition to that, the target becomes mindless, losing all its abilities and spells. This ability does not affect demons or already mindless creatures.
Piety level (******): "The Plague"
No new abilities.

Not advised for Deep Dwarves.
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks: 2
Pollen_Golem, Sar

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 21st November 2015, 19:22

Re: God Proposal: Inhaca, the Plague God

Stink is similar to Jiyva.

Is there something special that makes base regeneration exempt from inducing poison? I mean, PBD and regeneration mutation make this god unworshipable, so you should allow them. But Regen+ gear becoming horrible is funny, I like that.

Demons ought to be susceptible to Brain Parasite, they can be frenzied and enslaved after all. I find demons to be like an animal kingdom of creatures with biological quirks - can't berserk, demonic spellcasting, holy wrath vulnerability. It's the non-living and undead categories of holiness that are exempt from a whole lot of stuff.

You know how Makhleb is known as the only god you can rely on to damage enemies indefinitely using only invo? That's lopsided - Makhleb provides great healing and so should have relatively weak or expensive damage abilities. With some modification this god could become a suitable replacement in that niche, because he has appropriate downsides.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 21st November 2015, 19:53

Regen mutation is not considered "artificial", the demonspawn mutation however is.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 21st November 2015, 20:37

In general, I doubt that HP-activated abilities are worth it without Makhleb's heal-on-kills, especially since here you can't regain health any other way than by 5ing. The no-artificial-healing conduct might be compensated for by meat-shields, but it would also make me very reluctant to intentionally take any more damage than I have to.

Putrid sounds rather powerful as a passive that works against almost every living non-insect in the game. It feels weird to have an effect of "toxic air" without clouds though. I would think it makes more sense to create miasma clouds (number and duration based on piety), but then you'd be stepping on Qaz territory and randomly-placed cloud effects would mix poorly with passive summons. Maybe it could be an active ability that "converts the breath of enemies into toxic miasma" for its duration, creating a short-lived miasma cloud on the tile of any enemy that shouts/roars/casts/prays?

Alternatively, it could be interesting to keep Putrid passive but shift it from a damage/status effect to an interference effect. So like halo/umbra, your toxic stench would emanate further from your body as piety increases, eventually filling LOS, and any enemy inside would have a chance to "gag on your repulsive stench" when it would have shouted/roared/cast/prayed.

Paralyzing Spikes sounds pretty boring. Brain Parasite sounds like a nerfed Enslave Soul (unless you can have multiple parasite followers?).
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 21st November 2015, 21:21

The expanding stench idea seems good but having it interrupt attacks feels like the "will stun" of Ru.
Paralyzing Spikes can be evaded or resisted by HD, my first idea was it to be a more chaotic effect but it makes the ability way less desirable. It doesnt seem that good overall considering you might summon a hornet upon using it who will do the work for you.
You can have as many parasite followers as your piety allows, which is not much, imagine trying to spam Finesse with Oka.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 21st November 2015, 21:31

dynast wrote:Piety level (***): "Putrid"
Enemies grow sick by your presence as they stop regenerating life. The air itself becomes toxic, enemies inside your LoS become poisoned by shouting, roaring or executing wizard, priest or breath flagged actions.

This seems a bit more complicated than it needs to be; it could just run off the same mechanic as Ru or Gozag, with a % chance of poisoning enemies in LOS.

Piety level (*****): "Decayed"
Brain Parasite - cost 20-35HP, Moderate Piety: Coat your weapon or hands with brain eating parasites that penetrates your enemy's wounds, causing Eternal Enslavement. In addition to that, the target becomes mindless, losing all its abilities and spells. This ability does not affect demons or already mindless creatures.

This capstone strikes me as a bit too similar to Yred and Jiyva. It seems like it might be stronger to take another angle. What about an ability that turned monsters into poisonous explosions? When it procs, the enemy is frenzied, berserked, and given an inner-flame-like effect that results in an acid-based explosion.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 21st November 2015, 22:01

Paying hp to have a frenzied monster explode in your face seems troublesome, also i was trying to keep AoE out of the menu since a good deal of this god is to have the player constantly surrounded by insects, which means making monsters go frenzy doesnt work well.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 22nd November 2015, 21:09

tedric wrote:In general, I doubt that HP-activated abilities are worth it without Makhleb's heal-on-kills, especially since here you can't regain health any other way than by 5ing.
Alternatively, it could be interesting to keep Putrid passive but shift it from a damage/status effect to an interference effect. So like halo/umbra, your toxic stench would emanate further from your body as piety increases, eventually filling LOS, and any enemy inside would have a chance to "gag on your repulsive stench" when it would have shouted/roared/cast/prayed.

dynast wrote:The expanding stench idea seems good but having it interrupt attacks feels like the "will stun" of Ru.

I don't see a problem with regaining health by 5ing, almost everybody does it. But yeah, you can't overspam invo here the way you can with certain enemy groups when you have Makhleb.

Shutting enemies up means they have fewer chances to alert others by shouting. Ru doesn't do that. And it mostly just interrupts spells and stuff like Rupert's confuse/paralyze, which is a nice narrow range of "attacks" to interrupt.

The interference effect is really good. You can't apply the Sick status onto enemies as you could before, but it's nice, and an interesting passive, or else no monsters would have increased regen.

So you have two interesting and intuitive passives right there. Better than:
become poisoned by shouting, roaring or executing wizard, priest or breath flagged actions.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 22nd November 2015, 21:18

archaeo wrote:This capstone strikes me as a bit too similar to Yred and Jiyva.

Capstone sounds pretty good to me. With Yred you get non-regenerating zombies, and for enslave soul you want a single enemy with helpful abilities, which Brain Parasite would disable. It's similar to Jiyva only in terms of immediately dissolving a threat. Possible solution: the infected monster remains hostile for something like 50-200 turns, after which it becomes your mindless ally.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 22nd November 2015, 21:29

May I suggest a couple more tweaks:

remove Spit Miasma. It's really specific and spammable every fight especially without a piety cost.

* ability: Hurl Flesh, costs 1hp, does 1d(3+invo) damage. Could ignore half of enemy AC if you want it to remain more useful late-game.

Paralyzing spikes -> Volley of spikes. Works like Iron Rod, using random needles (I think there are 7 types?) instead of metal splinters. Uses invo instead of evo/throwing. Overlaps a little bit with the way Ru and Zin inflict random statuses. Can paralyze Cerebov.

new ability: Sic Brainless: inter-level recall spell just for you permanent brainless buddies, but plunks them close to you enemies, like how Dragon's Call does it.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 22nd November 2015, 21:43

The "soon to be ally" would probrably die during that period getting swarmed by insects or other brainless followers. My main idea was for it to do a random effect with enslavement being one of them, and the extra effect be it to become mindless so that the ability can only be used once per target and to disable the target's abilities.

How is spit miasma spammable? i think you meant overpowered, which is what i have in mind. Hurl flesh seems useless and 1hp cost is completely trivial. Also this is not a invo based god. Training invo on a god that already handcaps the player is not a good idea imo.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 22nd November 2015, 22:30

if the creature would quickly die to your allies, without your help, it's probably not worth converting, right?
and if we're worried about it getting owned when the brainlessness kicks in, we can have it vanish and become available to you through a recalling invocation.
dynast wrote:Hurl flesh seems useless and 1hp cost is completely trivial. Also this is not a invo based god. Training invo on a god that already handcaps the player is not a good idea imo.

Useless? Isn't throwing damage (base missile damage + throwing) ? Could be buffed of course.

Why do you think that about invo? We got chei and qaz, they handicap you worse than this, and they really like invo. And many if not most characters go without vampirism or extra regeneration the whole game. For them, the handicap of this god would be only "you can't use heal wounds". And if you're really concerned about that, you can tie in with !hw some punishment other than penance: a piety hit, or rot/degeneration.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 22nd November 2015, 23:12

"a good deal of this god is to have the player constantly surrounded by insects"
Are you sure you want that? Yred and Beogh let you stay constantly surrounded by allies, and they are often considered similar to a fault, despite how different the allies in question are, and the discrepancy in their other benefits.

To give the player extra strong defensive/escape abilities, you can let them summon multiple briar patches with smite targeting, or very short-lived trees/mangroves. Even fedhas doesn't let you do all that. Just not sure how thematic that is.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 23rd November 2015, 01:18

Chei power is not based off invo, you dont need high invo to use its abilities and invo doesnt affect its strength. I dont know how you compare Qaz abilities to hurling flesh. You could perform actions like attacking instead of constantly hurling flesh and slowly losing hp for no reason. I dont know how fedhas is doing lately, but raising bushes to hide behind was one of its abilities, although it costed fruits to do so.

Insects pop when you take damage and they are temporary summons, there is no unit management like beogh or yred. The only issue is the brainless followers that i dont really know what to do with.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 23rd November 2015, 01:46

Chei likes invo in the teens.
Allies upon taking damage and no unit management sound a lot like Jiyva really. I don't see the point of making the allies temporary without activation nor piety cost. Are you interested in what it would look like to have most battles go like: start fighting -> get hurt -> get allies -> let allies fight? Even if you drop the insects popping from the god plan you still have several interesting features left
dynast wrote:attacking instead of constantly hurling flesh and slowly losing hp for no reason.

A ranged attack is an attack, no? And you said yourself the hp cost is totally trivial. Makhleb's minor destruction is similar, with the element randomized.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 23rd November 2015, 02:35

Makhleb defeats the purpose of hp cost attacks since you heal on kills and yes, a ranged attack is an attack, you can use ranged weapons instead of hurling flesh.
The only "ally upon taking damage" from jiyva is a mutation that you usually dont have, its completely unrealiable as it usually only procs when you lose half your life. Other than that you have to slimify enemies in corridor or keep tossing trash at the feet of the enemies you want the slimes to attack. Save the vampire mosquito all insect summons die really fast, its not something that you just let fight on its own. And then theres abjuration.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 23rd November 2015, 05:51

I didn't know you meant for insect summons to be very fragile, which would make the god weak as you transition into late-game, let alone extended. I thought that orb spiders, emperor scorpions, and hornets are a thing, and not easily taken down especially by stupid enemies. As for abjuration, you'd have repulsive stench occasionally blocking the spell.
dynast wrote:you can use ranged weapons instead of hurling flesh.

you can hurl flesh instead of using ranged weapons. You can also use a blowgun instead of paralyzing spikes, what's your point?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 23rd November 2015, 09:59

That hurling flesh is not special enough for me to consider it a ability and paralyzing needles are rare.

I dont really know how the insects thing would play out as the game progress, the main idea was for the player rely less on it as he make progress, but i imagine a player who gets swamp or snake is gonna get screwed. Orb spiders are a bad idea since they are very likely to hit another ally but i imagine emp scorpions and other tougher creatures could be added based on the % of life the player loses.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner