Paralysed boulder beetles and boring randarts

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 02:31

Paralysed boulder beetles and boring randarts

1. If you paralyze a rolling boulder beetle, you get "The boulder beetle suddenly stops moving!"... but it keeps rolling. The message should be fixed.

2. the +0 pair of gloves of Boiling Hail {god gift, Dex+3}. This is dumb. The game should not generate randarts which are exactly the same as blue items (except can't be further enchanted).

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 03:23

Re: Paralysed boulder beetles and boring randarts

2. isn't even the worst I have seen. I think I found randart +2 gloves with nothing but Dex+3 once, exactaly the same as +2 dex gloves except for jellies/jyvia.

Randarts like the one you mentioned are necessary because they are randarts, and sometime they will coincidentally give the same boost as a blue item.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 04:55

you're really asking for someone to write a script that checks whether a blue equivalent to the randart is possible, and if it is, like say a +7 demon whip of vampirism, then.... what, destroy it? turn it into a blue item? what an inane request

how is it dumb that you cannot further enchant an artefact with a mundane property?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 05:58

Pollen_Golem wrote:you're really asking for someone to write a script that checks whether a blue equivalent to the randart is possible, and if it is, like say a +7 demon whip of vampirism, then.... what, destroy it? turn it into a blue item?

Give it a random additional property, good or bad.

I found another bug: Player ghosts with conjure ball lightning... they end up killing themselves before you can get close enough to fight.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 06:33

Not a bug but a feature, ball lightning makes everything more exciting!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 11:31

Rast wrote:1. If you paralyze a rolling boulder beetle, you get "The boulder beetle suddenly stops moving!"... but it keeps rolling. The message should be fixed.
Seems like a bug, put it in Mantis.

Rast wrote:I found another bug: Player ghosts with conjure ball lightning... they end up killing themselves before you can get close enough to fight.
Fulminant Prism is another spell that ghosts can easily hurt themselves with.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 12:34

There is a bug with fulminating prism and ball lighting where they ignore wall's LoS block, for example:
  Code:
##.##
##.##
##x##
##.##
##...
#####

Does This:
  Code:
##o##
##o##
##o##
##o##
##ooo
#####

Instead of This:
  Code:
##o##
##o##
##o##
##o##
##oo.
#####

I had this happen to me while being chased by a ghost, where i got hit by the explosion of a prism i saw being placed but i couldnt see after turning to the right.
You shall never see my color again.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 15:56

dynast wrote:There is a bug with fulminating prism and ball lighting where they ignore wall's LoS block

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimf ... _a_tunnel/

For this message the author wheals has received thanks:
dynast

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 19:22

Rast wrote:1. If you paralyze a rolling boulder beetle, you get "The boulder beetle suddenly stops moving!"... but it keeps rolling. The message should be fixed.

Actually, if the boulder beetle is rolled up into a ball when you paralyze it, it should remain rolled up into a ball and keep on rolling, just as a person who is falling would not stop falling if they were paralyzed.
Isaac Newton wrote:I. Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

But I note that the OP said that the message should be fixed, which is correct. The beetle shouldn't stop moving, it should just keep right on rolling until it hits something, and then either stop and stay rolled up, or else deflect off and continue rolling in another direction. With enough rolling beetles, long enough lasting paralysis, and force lance to act as a cue stick, this would allow one to play a game of billiards. :)

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 19:46

How would the character even know that a boulder beetle got successfully paralyzed while it's rolling? It's not like there's anything to give it away. If it's rolling, it's rolling, paralyzed or not.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 18th November 2015, 21:55

Boulder Beetles basically turn themselves into IOODs while they are rolling. There's a lot of weird bugs related to this; not sure if it's still true, but rolling boulder beetles used to not be affected by shafts, teleport traps or passages of golubria. They behave more like IOODs than monsters in this time.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 19th November 2015, 18:52

Pollen_Golem wrote:How would the character even know that a boulder beetle got successfully paralyzed while it's rolling? It's not like there's anything to give it away. If it's rolling, it's rolling, paralyzed or not.

its antennae stop twitching

Barkeep

Post Friday, 20th November 2015, 17:54

BugHunter wrote:Actually, if the boulder beetle is rolled up into a ball when you paralyze it, it should remain rolled up into a ball and keep on rolling, just as a person who is falling would not stop falling if they were paralyzed.

It is a little-known fact that if you are paralyzed during a fall you do actually stop falling. It's how airplanes work.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner