You open the door

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 4th November 2015, 23:37

You open the door

27 killer bees, 1 bee queen and Sonja come into view.

I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 4th November 2015, 23:57

Re: You open the door

Chei reason
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 5th November 2015, 00:24

And they say Olgreb's Toxic Radiance is useless.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 5th November 2015, 02:54

well it is

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 5th November 2015, 03:01

I learn it to deal with early monster packs (gnoll, orc, kobold) and the occasional killer bee pack in D, and to trivialize most of orc mines. I usually just amnesia it after that.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 5th November 2015, 03:19

Laraso wrote:I learn it to deal with early monster packs (gnoll, orc, kobold) and the occasional killer bee pack in D, and to trivialize most of orc mines. I usually just amnesia it after that.
THIS. Also if you also find Ignite Poison it trivializes Spider (except Emperor Scorpions and Ghost Moths). And with ignite poison you can still find some use throughout...Death Yak packs, Elephant Packs...Elf. You'd probably have something better by Vaults; but it DOES work on yaktaurs...
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 5th November 2015, 04:16

OTR, Ozo's Fridge and Shatter are three best spells in the game.

Probably in that order.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 5th November 2015, 04:43

Well, I'm not so sure about that. Maybe one day in April.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 5th November 2015, 06:02

If your spell doesn't kill everything on the screen it isn't worth casting.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 5th November 2015, 06:25

NOPE
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 5th November 2015, 07:05

OTR + Ignite Poison (both at good power) are excellent through Vaults.

OTR + Cure Poison is a tedious win button against most things if you're fast.

The bigger problem is that getting OTR and Ignite Poison to high spellpower requires Poison Magic investment just at the point of the game where you more typically want to start shifting into other schools of damage spells.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 5th November 2015, 15:21

?Immolation reasons.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 5th November 2015, 17:35

http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/0.11/prestonbroadus/morgue-prestonbroadus-20130123-074314.txt

Here's an old XL18 door-instadeath from full HP. Open a door... die.

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 5th November 2015, 18:26

Sphara wrote:http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/0.11/prestonbroadus/morgue-prestonbroadus-20130123-074314.txt

Was that an "o" death? "o" deaths are so bad.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 5th November 2015, 18:56

Sphara wrote:http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/0.11/prestonbroadus/morgue-prestonbroadus-20130123-074314.txt

And they say that stasis is useless!

Also, today I saw my HPs go down to 70% (that would be 162 HPs) so I decided it would be best to retreat by casting cBlink. Since it was at 4% fail rate and had well over half my health I wasn't worried. I miscast (no side effect), then the monsters in melee with me managed to hit me for 167 points of damage in a single turn.

That's one of the things I don't like about crawl. Sometimes after many hours poured into a character, you are unfairly killed and there's very little you could do about it. The damage you receive tend to be highly variable, capable of straying very far from the average. Thankfully, that doesn't happen often.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th November 2015, 21:20

I would point out that you had at least stepped into the doorway at that point. Eyes do suck, but are super slow, you could've easily immediately closed the door and walked some distance away preferably around a corner or to that staircase prior to the centaurs and dragon catching up to you, the eye wouldn't have even come into the picture until well after the dangerous stuff had been sorted out.

Even if the eye had come into view after you were already engaged in combat you still had sufficient turns to walk around the corner out of its los.

You might have still died, but it wouldn't have been to annoying eye paralysis while engaged with several dangerous mobs.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 5th November 2015, 21:32

Here's the timing:
47259 | Vaults:2 | Noticed a golden dragon
47259 | Vaults:2 | Noticed a storm dragon
47259 | Vaults:2 | Paralysed by a great orb of eyes for 7 turns
47260 | Vaults:2 | Noticed a sphinx
47265 | Vaults:2 | Annihilated by a golden dragon

I would assume that he opened the door on turn 47259, when he noticed the dragons. That is also the turn when he got frozen. Doesn't look to me as if he had time to do anything.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 6th November 2015, 03:08

Siegurt wrote:

I would point out that you had at least stepped into the doorway at that point. Eyes do suck, but are super slow, you could've easily immediately closed the door and walked some distance away preferably around a corner or to that staircase prior to the centaurs and dragon catching up to you, the eye wouldn't have even come into the picture until well after the dangerous stuff had been sorted out.

Even if the eye had come into view after you were already engaged in combat you still had sufficient turns to walk around the corner out of its los.

You might have still died, but it wouldn't have been to annoying eye paralysis while engaged with several dangerous mobs.

Nope. I opened a door and was instantly paralyzed. Had no turn after that. Golden dragon trampled me two squares back from the door I opened there.

This was almost 3 years ago and still remains my most memorable death. If someone watches ttyrec file (I don't know how to do that..) of the game and proves I remember wrong, then I'll stand corrected for this being an instadeath.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 6th November 2015, 05:13

Sphara wrote:
Siegurt wrote:

Nope. I opened a door and was instantly paralyzed. Had no turn after that. Golden dragon trampled me two squares back from the door I opened there.

This was almost 3 years ago and still remains my most memorable death. If someone watches ttyrec file (I don't know how to do that..) of the game and proves I remember wrong, then I'll stand corrected for this being an instadeath.

Oh, sure enough, I misinterpreted the situation from the map, but the notes back up your memory:
  Code:
 47259 | Vaults:2 | Noticed a golden dragon
 47259 | Vaults:2 | Noticed a storm dragon
 47259 | Vaults:2 | Paralysed by a great orb of eyes for 7 turns
 47260 | Vaults:2 | Noticed a sphinx
 47265 | Vaults:2 | Annihilated by a golden dragon

I'm not sure if this is still possible.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 8th November 2015, 17:38

Why would it NOT be possible?! :?

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner