Wind Drakes and Deep Water

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 2nd November 2015, 22:55

Wind Drakes and Deep Water

I've met wind drakes in Shoals and am treating them as exceedingly dangerous because I don't know if I will drown if it blows me over deep water. Can I drown that way?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 2nd November 2015, 22:56

Re: Wind Drakes and Deep Water

No.
Greaterplayer
Greatrace:Ds,Dr,Mf(1st)
Greatrole:Wz(1st),Mo(1st),AM(1st),EE(1st)

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 2nd November 2015, 23:20

Yes. Rarely. If you are flying and it pushes you over water; then your flight expires. In that order. Notably; airstrike does double damage if you are flying (and wind drakes have it) so flying against them is a bad idea.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 3rd November 2015, 00:11

bcadren wrote:Yes. Rarely. If you are flying and it pushes you over water; then your flight expires. In that order.

Since the flight duration is decremented (possibly expiring) in player_reacts, immediately after the player's action and before monster actions, that sequence of events should not happen without giving you a turn in between. However, if you were in the middle of a multi-turn action like eating a ration or swapping armour, then you might not get a chance to act during that turn. So don't take multi-turn actions while temporarily flying near water/lava and tramplers/windblasters.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 3rd November 2015, 02:43

During the evening activity I went to directly after asking this question, I realized how I might wiz-mode it. So here's what happens when you are standing by lava or deep water, including standing in shallow water: the lava or deep water is treated as a wall, and when you would be pushed back over it you will instead slide along its margin. If you are standing in a corner, then instead it seems that "you violently stop moving"and take damage. If you are flying, then you do indeed move backwards over the deadly terrain as described above.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner