Serious Contam Question

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 07:40

Serious Contam Question

Anyone here ever had high enough contam to actually get an explosion? Seems like I'm freaking out when it's high enough to have a mutation chance and have never gotten it any higher, really. Even in full extended; I don't see how someone would get it in the red level without...really bad luck with stacked hell effects.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 09:59

Re: Serious Contam Question

I've never even seen orange, mustard, or spotted-banana levels of contam. It goes to red?

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 10:13

daggaz wrote:I've never even seen orange, mustard, or spotted-banana levels of contam. It goes to red?
I know it exists because spoilers, but I've never seen it either. Anyways: Less than 5k is grey (no effect). 5000-20000 is yellow chance of getting a mutation (80% bad). 20000 to 50000 is light red; chance of an explosion with 3d(CONTAM/2000) damage and (CONTAM/15000) radius. 50000+ is dark red; same as light red, but the explosions are very powerful at this point. There is no max value for contam, technically.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 10:51

The only times I have seen dark red contam was by stepping on a Zot trap. Three !cancellation still left me with yellow glow.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 14:57

I once was playing Dj ^ Sif and by lair I got really bored and started to abuse channeling to see how much glow I could get, without resting. I died of that (probably during a combat of right after)

Another time I was play a earth magic dude with necromut and I had the brilliant idea to switch from sif to vehumet for extended (yeah instead of being a bad player I was a terrible player back then). I discovered then a funny thing: both earth and transmutation magic share severe glow as miscast effects. And sif loves to give miscast.
I distinctly remember two facts: I couldn't kill Cerebov because I was miscasting lcs so bad I was getting more damage from glow than from him!
And in another occasion, I dont remember if in pan or hell i got so much glow (there are points far beyond red glow I think nobody knows about) I was taking heavy damage and I couldn't get to wear off while waiting in lich form because the occasional miscast gave me more than I lost meanwhile. I had to wait thousands of turns to return to light glow.
Oh another fun fact: if you glow badly (where badly means how the fuck you reached that point?!) you can get mutations even if in lich form!

Once I also got bad red glow right on the spot just stepping on a zot trap. Some explosion and muts followed
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 15:08

nago wrote:if you glow badly (where badly means how the fuck you reached that point?!) you can get mutations even if in lich form!

what how

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 15:09

The only time I can recall this happening to me was when I was playing some character (can't remember what it was) of Zin. On my way back up with the orb, I thought to myself "Well, the game is over and I'm worshipping ZIn. Might as well just spam haste to get to D:1 faster while also seeing how contaminated I can get! I don't have to worry about mutations, it's the end of the game and I have max piety". That was when I discovered that being heavily contaminated also made you spontaneously combust at random intervals, and it was also when I decided that I'd never do such a thing again. I almost died once or twice because of it.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 16:05

ehh? i dont recall contam explosions doing that much damage, and this comes from a guy who considers 49% fail rate firestorm "castable".
You shall never see my color again.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 16:24

Pretty sure I've gotten explosions before with a really wimpy kobold who decided to CBlink past the entirety of Gehenna:7 while hasted (do not try at home). I don't remember them being particularly harmful, but I was waiting out the contam by 5ing at the Vestibule.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 18:13

I have definitely had contam explosions, but it was so long ago I can't remember how it happened. Maybe from chain-casting Haste before I really knew what contam was or how it worked?
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 20:28

I've had explosions from red contam, sure. Got a few mutations, and took some damage, but I believe I was out of combat so the damage wasn't really memorable. Mutations sucked.

I think it was from a critical failure on casting statue form, I had my casting abilities lowered by some effect I don't remember. Or maybe I was just desperate enough to cast it at red failure (which is only something like 12-14% fail usually). I remember being in crypt, but no idea how to find the morgue (or even if there'd be much of interest in there, unless you really want to know what specific mutations I got).

But in short it basically does what you'd expect: some damage, some mutations. Generally a bad thing, try to avoid it.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 26th October 2015, 20:49

I got yellow glow off a Contam artifact wield-ID and got two bad mutations from it. Ever since I've avoided glow, never even seen red.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 27th October 2015, 21:04

I've had plenty of explosions from contamination. I've also had plenty of zot traps/hell effects give me (light?) red contamination in a single instance, although as a hell effect this seems to occur rarely compared to others.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th October 2015, 01:14

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 28th October 2015, 19:51

I got red contamination from zot traps a couple of times.

And once I made the mistake of casting both Haste and Invisibility*. I soon started glowing, ruining my invisibility. So I had to run away really fast, spamming cBlink, which I might have forgotten give even more glow**. And since I had tons of spellpower my haste and invisibility kept going way too long, pumping contamination into my body. I ended up deep into the red zone, almost got killed by the explosions.

* I'm not quite that bad a player nowadays
** really, I'm not

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 28th October 2015, 20:17

Sojiro wrote:I got red contamination from zot traps a couple of times.

And once I made the mistake of casting both Haste and Invisibility*. I soon started glowing, ruining my invisibility. So I had to run away really fast, spamming cBlink, which I might have forgotten give even more glow**. And since I had tons of spellpower my haste and invisibility kept going way too long, pumping contamination into my body. I ended up deep into the red zone, almost got killed by the explosions.

** really, I'm not

That is why you use the end invisibility ability.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 29th October 2015, 07:36

WingedEspeon wrote:
Sojiro wrote:I got red contamination from zot traps a couple of times.

** really, I'm not

That is why you use the end invisibility ability.

you can only do that with evocable invis

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 30th October 2015, 18:54

WingedEspeon wrote:That is why you use the end invisibility ability.

I often wished the spell version had that option. I had a character with enough Hex spellpower that they usually ended up glowing yellow from a single cast of Invis.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 30th October 2015, 22:30

Sojiro wrote:

I often wished the spell version had that option. I had a character with enough Hex spellpower that they usually ended up glowing yellow from a single cast of Invis.

I have only really had experience with the evocable version. Even my SpEn used evocable invisibility.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 30th October 2015, 23:38

WingedEspeon wrote:
Sojiro wrote:

I have only really had experience with the evocable version. Even my SpEn used evocable invisibility.
Yea the evocable is the only really usable version. The other is...level 6 is high enough level that unless you have amazing int or Wizardry that it'd pretty useless by the time you get it online. Mass Confusion and Darkness are both better buys for the same XP; Silence (a level 5) has the most staying power of any Hex though; Make Ancient Liches harmless, anyone?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st October 2015, 01:00

Invis is great in Shoals and Zot. Sometimes you just don't have evokable invis. Having it as a spell means you don't have to sacrifice a ring slot for it.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 31st October 2015, 02:04

Back when i played really way too much i remember making slime god characters that would stack infinite glow with haste invis cblink to fetch hell/pan runes. I would survive the steal and explosions with borg and slimes feeding.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 1st November 2015, 02:33

Sojiro wrote:

Spell invis no longer has this problem. My dedicated campaign of bitching at various devs got it changed so that a single cast of invis won't give you yellow glow anymore, assuming you're casting it from a state of zero contam (sometime in 0.15-0.16 I think?). That being said, I still wouldn't combine it with other sources of contamination.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 1st November 2015, 14:19

prozacelf wrote:Spell invis no longer has this problem. My dedicated campaign of bitching at various devs got it changed so that a single cast of invis won't give you yellow glow anymore, assuming you're casting it from a state of zero contam (sometime in 0.15-0.16 I think?). That being said, I still wouldn't combine it with other sources of contamination.

And the game keeps on getting better and better! That's one of the things I love most about crawl.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner