I am tired of attack pattern of fire storm

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 22nd September 2015, 15:23

I am tired of attack pattern of fire storm

When I play ice mage, stupidly spam glaciate and stupidly enemies die. Sometimes wisely cast darkness to make up for weakpoint of glaciate.(but usually only extended game)

When I play fire mage, stupidly spam fire storm and stupidly target nearby enemies or nearby tiles and sometimes stupidly I take unignorable dmg from self fire storm.

I am tired of fire storm, because it is hard to target neaby enemies without self-target.
I heard new square los made fire storm hard to use without self-target... that's right?

And I am angry with 45% physical dmg of fire storm...
When I use fire storm to rF enemies, I always feel 45% is too low.
But when I stupidly self-target...I always feel 45% dmg is too high!

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 22nd September 2015, 21:41

Re: I am tired of attack pattern of fire storm

Are you on some sort of quest to say the word "stupidly" as many times as possible in one post, or

In any case, have you tried... not aiming it at yourself? I mean, I understand; when it goes "hey you're likely to hit yourself, do it anyway Y/N" all it takes to burn yourself is to hold shift and press y, and those keys are right next to each other.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd September 2015, 21:49

Really if the area of effect was dependable, it wouldn't be a problem ever. It's the "maybe" zone I find infuriating.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
gerbias, le_nerd

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 22nd September 2015, 22:29

Same is true for Lees Rapid Destruction on high EV/low AC characters. The unpredictabe range of explosion is incredibly annoying. This is compounded by the hillarious fact that the material that one has to destruct most often - rock- is the one that has the most unpredictable pattern of all.

For this message the author le_nerd has received thanks:
nago

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 22nd September 2015, 22:51

ontoclasm wrote:... and those keys are right next to each other.

stupidly so.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 23rd September 2015, 10:30

The stupidest thing is that y is also a movement key.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 4
duvessa, Rast, scorpionwarrior, tedric

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 23rd September 2015, 17:05

How many crawl players even use the yubnjkl or whatever they are keys for movement anyway? Do we really have that many early-generation rougelike players? At least yes/no prompts require Y/N

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 23rd September 2015, 17:21

I use the letter keys for movement.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 23rd September 2015, 17:28

I use hjkl for movement. My laptop doesn't have a keypad. Plus, I guess I'm what you'd call an "early-generation rougelike (sic) player", since I started out playing rogue back in the 80s. Not to mention that I'm a vim user (since back in the days when it was spelled 'vi'), so hjkl seems perfectly natural.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd September 2015, 17:40

Ditto (well, I first used vi before playing rogue, and I think I switched to playing mostly hack from rogue (pre-"net"), but whichever, it all happened in the early 80s sometime)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 23rd September 2015, 17:43

yep, I picked up vi keys because my laptop doesn't have a numpad; I'm definitely not an old-school roguelike guy.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 23rd September 2015, 18:29

I prefer the letter keys because it's easier to reach all of the other commands without moving my hand from the number pad.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 23rd September 2015, 18:31

Yeah, same.

Go vi! Down with emacs!

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 23rd September 2015, 20:00

And on the "y is a movement key" thing, I kind of feel like crawl would never ask me something if the answer was going to be no.

Right?

;)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd September 2015, 20:20

njvack wrote:And on the "y is a movement key" thing, I kind of feel like crawl would never ask me something if the answer was going to be no.

Right?

;)

We should just use French for our yes no prompts. No one would accidentally push 'o' for 'oui', right?

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 24th September 2015, 03:38

le_nerd wrote:Same is true for Lees Rapid Destruction on high EV/low AC characters. The unpredictabe range of explosion is incredibly annoying. This is compounded by the hillarious fact that the material that one has to destruct most often - rock- is the one that has the most unpredictable pattern of all.

did the explosion pattern of LRD change recently or something? it always used to be a fixed radius based on the material being destroyed.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 24th September 2015, 03:51

I'd appreciate if the y/n key could be configured to be upper-case only. So I'm not trying to hit the dude with rocks in my hand, or with a blowgun.
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 24th September 2015, 05:44

ThreeInvisibleDucks wrote:I'd appreciate if the y/n key could be configured to be upper-case only. So I'm not trying to hit the dude with rocks in my hand, or with a blowgun.

Code:
easy_confirm = none

(The default is "safe", which forces capital letters only for "dangerous" questions. This doesn't affect the really dangerous questions that require you to spell out "yes" or "no")

For this message the author neil has received thanks:
ThreeInvisibleDucks

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 24th September 2015, 06:07

neil wrote:
ThreeInvisibleDucks wrote:I'd appreciate if the y/n key could be configured to be upper-case only. So I'm not trying to hit the dude with rocks in my hand, or with a blowgun.

Code:
easy_confirm = none

(The default is "safe", which forces capital letters only for "dangerous" questions. This doesn't affect the really dangerous questions that require you to spell out "yes" or "no")

Thank you ever so much.
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 24th September 2015, 14:23

yesno wrote:did the explosion pattern of LRD change recently or something? it always used to be a fixed radius based on the material being destroyed.

It's always been different depending on whether the wall is destroyed or not. Or at least, for as long as I can remember.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 24th September 2015, 18:32

I had never used vi keys until I tried them out in Crawl and was surprised at how much better than the numpad they are. I only wish they were all shifted 1 key to the right so that I wouldn't need to constantly reposition my right hand.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 24th September 2015, 18:42

Don't shift your hand, stretch your pointer finger for 'y' and 'b'.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 24th September 2015, 19:07

I meant that the right hand is normally resting on the jkl; keys. To use vi keys I keep my hand on the hjkl keys. They're awesome because they let you map orthogonal movements to your four non-thumb digits, and diagonal movements to a single finger... though moving the index finger from h to u is awkward - t and y would be better than y and u, with the hjkl mapping.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 24th September 2015, 19:09

Ah, I always keep my index finger on j. It has the little bump.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 24th September 2015, 19:47

So you actually reach in order to move left, and use your wedding ring finger to move right? Well then that is horrendous UI. It's so bad that when I originally tried it like that, I thought "It can't possibly be this ridiculously bad, I must be doing something wrong." Then I shifted my hand to the left and went "wowzers" at the UI magic.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 24th September 2015, 20:29

I think we long moved past the point where this was anything approaching "Dungeon Crawling Advice," so I moved it over here.

For what it's worth, wherever you keep your hand when using vi keys, it's nowhere near as crazy as magicpoints' old setup, since she used the number row to move.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 24th September 2015, 23:34

I'm currently playing crawl on Android, using aa keyboard mod for tab, ctrl, etc. Numpad isn't exactly an option, so I've forced myself to hjkl on a tiny screen.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner