I just ate a pound of bread

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 16th September 2015, 20:33

I just ate a pound of bread

It was warm moist and delicious, I baked it myself!

Here's how to make one yourself:
- mix 1 1/4 cup of warm water with 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of yeast, let rest for 15 minutes
- mix in 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 cup of oil (olive/canola)
- mix in 4 cups of white floor, knead for 5minutes, let rest in a bowl for 30minutes covered by a slightly moist sheet
- knead a bit, let rest for 45 minutes again in bowl covered by slightly moist sheet
- knead a bit again and put in an oven capable container that is very lightly oiled/buttered, bake at 350F for ~45 minutes

I suggest you try to go hungry before so you're able to swallow as much as possible since the experience of consuming freshly baked bread is really quite pleasant. It goes really super well with any kind of spread, meat/beans/veggies, and it's also good with butter/margarine but those can make feel a little sick if(when) eating too much at once.

Find happiness through the pleasure of eating!

edit: that makes for about 2pounds (or 1kg) of bread, with roughly 3/4 calories of store bought bread per weight

For this message the author Baldu3 has received thanks: 4
beem, Lasty, moocowmoocow, ololoev

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 16th September 2015, 20:35

Re: I just ate a pound of bread

Are you sufficiently... engorged???

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 16th September 2015, 20:35

I'm glowing with satisfaction.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 16th September 2015, 20:54

We have bread rations down. Now we need volunteers to make jerky, pizza, fruit, and honeycomb. And chunks? A bottle of blood?

Hooray for parallelism and completionism?

Then we can move on to armours and scrolls. Eventually we'll breed death cobs and the rest of the menagerie and we can play crawl in real time.

But bread is a good place to start.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 16th September 2015, 21:39

Biltong is so much better than jerky, there is no comparison at all.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 16th September 2015, 21:49

what's that you say? spread... things... on bread... ?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 16th September 2015, 21:59

yesno wrote:what's that you say? spread... things... on bread... ?

Yes, unending torment and darkness. The eternal night is also a popular topping.

For this message the author CanOfWorms has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 16th September 2015, 22:34

Bread is for swinging not eating
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 2
archaeo, Arrhythmia

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 17th September 2015, 00:28

here's a nice recipe for human chunks from grandma sonja's cookbook:

- find a weapon with high base damage, preferably one you're skilled with. mindelay is not critical, but it helps.
- find a human you don't like, or at least are willing to do without. i suggest a taverner who frequently disagrees with you, but really any kind of human will do.
- challenge the human to a fight by bumping into it repeatedly (weapon first) until it is dead.
- chop up its corpse with the hunting knife you keep in your pocket at all times, but can't use for any purpose other than butchering things.
- serve raw, at dungeon temperature. if you're feeling fancy, pair it with a bottle of Berzerk Juice (see recipe, p. 12) and call it 'human tartare'!

makes 1-4 servings.

to be honest, this dish is not that great, but if you're hungry (and especially if you're starving) you'll probably be willing to stomach it.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

For this message the author tedric has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, moocowmoocow, yesno

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 17th September 2015, 05:50

Yo guys! Why do you prefer olive oil to one made from pressed sunflower seeds?
And do u eat roasted sunflower seeds?

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 17th September 2015, 06:15

When I bake bread, I always use the no-knead doughs you can keep in the 'fridge and take out as needed. It makes a wonderfully crusty and delicious loaf, all without having to do much prep time at all beyond throwing together the ingredients and shaping a loaf using the chilled dough.

I'm also a big fan of this focaccia, which is perfect for throwing together the day before a fancy dinner.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 2
lifecoder, tedric

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th September 2015, 06:58

DON'T DO IT!!!

IT MAKES CHLORINE GAS

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 17th September 2015, 10:36

beem, is that really you, have you already achieved sentience?

Try a ration of fresh bread beem, like the rest of us.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 17th September 2015, 19:22

Good way to put on a ton of weight.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 17th September 2015, 19:27

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 17th September 2015, 19:39

Baldu3 wrote:beem, is that really you, have you already achieved sentience?

I am beem.
Hi archaeo! Hi Baldu3! Hi CanofWorms! Hi jejorda2! Hi lobf! Hi MainiacJoe! Hi ololoev! Hi Sar! Hi tabstorm! Hi tedric! Hi yesno! I will listen to you!

For this message the author beem has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, wheals

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th September 2015, 20:38

I've always wanted someone to listen to me! Sadly, I didn't seem to make the list. Anyways, bread and butter doesn't make you fat, eating more calories than you burn makes you fat (over time). Somewhere down the list of priorities way at the bottom is buying a bread machine; I don't know when I'll get to it, though.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 17th September 2015, 21:10

edit: that makes for about 2pounds (or 1kg) of bread, with roughly 3/4 calories of store bought bread per weight

i think 4 cups of flour and a quarter cup of oil contain the same calories per gram no matter where you get them :(

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 17th September 2015, 23:04

tasonir wrote:I've always wanted someone to listen to me! Sadly, I didn't seem to make the list. Anyways, bread and butter doesn't make you fat, eating more calories than you burn makes you fat (over time). Somewhere down the list of priorities way at the bottom is buying a bread machine; I don't know when I'll get to it, though.

Calorie deficit is one way to lose weight. However, an easier way to control your body fat without drastically cutting calories is to just reduce the amount of carbohydrates in your diet. You can maintain muscle mass more easily this way too, whereas a calorie deficit will reduce your muscle in addition to everything else.

I lost upwards of 40 pounds by cutting carbs and exercising moderately. When I get in shape for fights now, it's low-carb, high protein, high fat.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 18th September 2015, 01:50

yesno wrote:

i think 4 cups of flour and a quarter cup of oil contain the same calories per gram no matter where you get them :(

You're completely right!

However recipes and ingredients aren't exactly the same, so that's why the results aren't exactly the same!

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 18th September 2015, 01:52

beem wrote:
Baldu3 wrote:beem, is that really you, have you already achieved sentience?

I am beem.
Hi archaeo! Hi Baldu3! Hi CanofWorms! Hi jejorda2! Hi lobf! Hi MainiacJoe! Hi ololoev! Hi Sar! Hi tabstorm! Hi tedric! Hi yesno! I will listen to you!

Hi beem and welcome to the wonderful world of the tavern! Please don't tell them my secret, in exchange I won't tell them yours...

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 18th September 2015, 03:22

Baldu3 wrote: You're completely right!

However recipes and ingredients aren't exactly the same, so that's why the results aren't exactly the same!

but what's the recipe for store bread

For this message the author yesno has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 18th September 2015, 04:12

This is how this home baked bread recipe would appear on an ingredient label (its most used ingredient to least): flour, water, oil, sugar, yeast, salt.

Check a bought loaf in your home or follow this link to see pictures of ingredient lists of various bought breads: https://www.google.ca/search?q=bread+in ... t&tbm=isch

Note that listing water is optional in ingredients lists, that it's also possible to replace the oil for water in the recipe i wrote (the oil makes the the bread softer and less crusty), and also to entirely remove the sugar (but that's for a slow rising bread recipe that's not prepared in the same way). It's also possible to increase sugar for sweeter bread, and also etc etc etc etc. There's a lot of bread recipes, I wrote my favorite for how quick delicious and easy to eat it is, but it is a same day plain bread recipe that's good for ~4 days, nothing like infinite shelf life bread of crawl.

Feature request: Crawl rations have an unlisted age that makes them less filing and even makes the character sick with increasing ration age. Just think of the fascinating gameplay introduced!!!

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 18th September 2015, 05:40

i mean if i buy a baguette or italian bread at any chain grocery the ingredients are flour, salt, yeast, + maybe some additives for texture and shelf life. but yeah it's nice to make bread

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner