Poor new mummy tiles

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 5th September 2015, 09:53

Poor new mummy tiles

All of mummy looks the same. This is bad tile.

For this message the author onget has received thanks:
radinms

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 5th September 2015, 17:06

Re: Poor new mummy tiles

Are these the current Mummy tiles? I got those from the wiki. I've never gotten far enough in tiles to see a Mummy.

Maybe the Guardians could have a red cape like Khufu's purple one, the Greaters could have bigger headdresses, and the Priest skull masks could be bigger.
Also, the wrappings could match the glyph colors. White for Mummies and Greaters, Yellow for guardians, red for priests.
Last edited by jejorda2 on Saturday, 5th September 2015, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 5th September 2015, 17:07

No, I replaced those recently.

v Yes, the last two are Menkaure and Khufu.

e: these were made by white_noise, incidentally.
Last edited by ontoclasm on Saturday, 5th September 2015, 21:11, edited 2 times in total.

For this message the author ontoclasm has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 5th September 2015, 17:10

Those are much more attractive and well differentiated. Is the last one Khufu? If it's not a unique, I could see how it could be too much like the first one.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 5th September 2015, 21:56

bring back sarcophagus greater mummy

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 6th September 2015, 15:46

the new ones look like shit.

For this message the author KittenInMyCerealz has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 6th September 2015, 17:42

Thanks for your in-depth critique, but I disagree. They are far easier to tell apart, have more interesting and distinctive silhouettes, and use color much more effectively. Obviously they aren't perfect -- nothing is -- but they're pretty good, in my opinion.

Feel free to make suggestions or contribute your own tiles.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 6th September 2015, 17:46

They're very exaggerated but I kind of like them, at least in vacuum. They're gonna clash stylistically with other artists' sprites, but that's pretty much inevitable.

P.S. bring back sarcophagus gmummies!!!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 6th September 2015, 18:13

I'm usually pretty supportive of new tiles, but I just can't get behind these mummy tiles. Part of this is because I dislike the style and think it clashes strongly with the rest of crawl, but most of my dislike stems from how damn hard it is to tell them apart. "Distinctive silhouettes" and "effective color" my ass.

Pic below is how my dog sees these mummies. My dog hates these tiles too.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

For this message the author pubby has received thanks:
duvessa

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 6th September 2015, 18:15

they're pretty nice in and of themselves but they look like they belong in some cuter, trendier game than crawl. they remind me of plants vs zombies

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 6th September 2015, 18:35

pubby wrote:Pic below is how my dog sees these mummies. My dog hates these tiles too.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here. The top ones are gone (notice how they all look the same?) and the bottom row are all extremely easy to tell apart, even blurred and in greyscale.

I guess if people hate them then I'll take a look at editing them, but I think they're fine.

e: Also notice how the old ones are all yellow and white, while each of the new ones has a different color scheme? And how they're standing different ways, giving them different silhouettes?

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 6th September 2015, 19:57

Are these better?

n1000, Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 6th September 2015, 19:58

Sweet. I assume the goat skull one is priest? Really nice.

Edit: I like that guardian mummies has a shield in its hands but it's not really consistent with the monster itself having no SH by default. It looks so good on tile I almost want them to get some!

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 6th September 2015, 20:43

I don't really have a horse in this race, because to my eye both tile sets stand out well enough from other Crawl enemies that I don't mistake them for a non-mummy. But for what it's worth: the new softer/rounded tiles don't really scan as "mummies" to me nearly as much as the stiff, straight-armed old ones did.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 6th September 2015, 21:15

To me they're hard to differentiate because they all have a very similar body shape and posture. They look like the same dude wearing different costumes. I guess that's true of some other monster types as well, but the difference seems to be that they have distinct single colors, whereas these are very multicolored. So to improve these I'd say either give them different shapes, or make a single color stand out on each.

For this message the author moocowmoocow has received thanks: 2
duvessa, xentronium

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 6th September 2015, 21:44

I like the new mummy tiles. I think the older ones were different enough in stance and position that for veteran players they stand out more than the slightly more uniform design of the new ones, but I think the new ones are more polished and also look more like their specific sub-class than the old ones. The priest wears green like orc priests, the guardian has a large shield and distinctively colored cloak similar to naga warriors, and the greater mummy is red like greater nagas. I'm a sucker for consistency.

That said, I do think that if the colors popped a bit more it might be a little better, they have a lot of detail that's not as clear in a sea of tiles, though I'm perfectly happy with them as is and feel kinda like I'm digging for fault honestly.

As an aside, giving Guardian Mummies a SH score might make them a more interesting (frustrating) opponent. Maybe even an ironheart preserver style injury bond to or reduction to damage to other enemies while adjacent to the player? Would make them more unique and true to their name than simple slow melee attackers you don't want to kill.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 7th September 2015, 07:33

KittenInMyCerealz wrote:the new ones look like shit.

Man what do you know about shit? New giant tiles look like shit. They are all the same. Mummy tiles are quite distinct from each other compared to giant tiles.

For this message the author ololoev has received thanks:
duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 8th September 2015, 01:07

I pushed the six mummy tiles in my post above. Mostly I shifted the proportions to having longer legs and smaller heads and arms, and added hats/color/etc. to make them more distinct.

ololoev wrote:New giant tiles look like shit.

Incidentally, can you guys please say something like "I don't like X" or "X would look better if Y" because the above is pretty rude, thanks.

Arrhythmia, tedric

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th September 2015, 01:54

ontoclasm wrote:Incidentally, can you guys please say something like "I don't like X" or "X would look better if Y" because the above is pretty rude, thanks.
like this: YOUR FACE would look better if it DIDN'T LOOK LIKE SHIT

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, KittenInMyCerealz, ontoclasm, Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th September 2015, 04:41

What's with the head placement on the regular mummy tile?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th September 2015, 05:34

Sar wrote:What's with the head placement on the regular mummy tile?

FWIW I agree that the head on the regular mummy seems a bit far "forward" most of them have a slightly hunched forward "big head" look, which is fine, however the regular mummy's head seems like it's so far forward it's about to fall off, or like it's a mummy of this guy:
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th September 2015, 06:44

That's what I thought of as well. I think guardians and priests look really nice, though.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner