Story behind Zot plz.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 4th September 2015, 10:21

Story behind Zot plz.

I often think that there's no storyline motivation to descend through the dungeon and find Orb of Zot. Why are there draconians up there in Zot realm? Why do we need this thing?
At start - depending on class and race there could be short randomised text about what is that artifact good for, and why do you actually need it.

For Realm of Zot - the Death Cobs are very poorly designed. They dimnish the climax of entering mysterious, well secured place which guarads are consisted of ancient, mystical creatures. Why are the Draconians just strolling around instead, well - using - the power of this ancient artifact? Why not Dragons? Draconians are just feeble mix of human and ancient beast. Blah.

The thing I would like to see is minor stat bonus for finding each rune or chance of making weak members of particular race neutral or even friendly towards the owner of the rune.

Why collecting them all? Shouldn't be there doors in realm of Zot openable after collecting 6/9/12 runes with guaranteed 'Zot Artefact'? Maybe collecting 15 of them - just grabbing The Orb would make you understand power of the artifact and allow you to instantly teleport all to the top of the dungeon - making the huge (3x3) hole through all the levels to the top...
Last edited by Enish on Friday, 4th September 2015, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Enish has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 4th September 2015, 10:27

Re: Story behind Zot plz.

The orb is fabulous. We need fabulous things.

Nobody has survived Zot long enough to come back and tell us who lives there, much less their history.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 4th September 2015, 10:39

Let's say I want to play the Elf with INT 20.
Is it smart to risk my life and grab something which is... just shiny?

There is plenty of space at the starting screen.
Well, also the view of aptitudes would be also a great addition upon highlighting the race.

Every good story, same as the game, consist of three phases ;). Beggining - 'meat' - and ending.
ASCII graphics/animation detail at the start as in old-school games would be a nice touch to this incredibly complex game.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 4th September 2015, 11:00

INT20 it means that your character is a very stupid.

Since your character's hometown or the world has been stupid remove, your need the orb.

For this message the author onget has received thanks:
yesno

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 4th September 2015, 12:44

I will agree with the premise that death cobs and killer klowns seriously diminish the coolness of entering the final zone of the game.

It's like the game says "You finally got this far, but, this game was a joke the whole time! HAHAAHAHA got you jackass!". At least that's what it said to me.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
Rast

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 4th September 2015, 13:49

The player character has ghostitis, a rare disease that binds their soul to the world when they die. Only the Orb of Zot can cure it. It is solar powered so you need to bring it to surface.

For this message the author Zooty has received thanks: 2
hannobal, onget

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 4th September 2015, 17:59

MANY CYCLES AGO, IN THE KINGDOM OF N'DIC, THE GNOMIC WIZARD ZOT FORGED HIS GREAT *ORB OF POWER*. HE SOON VANISHED, LEAVING BEHIND HIS VAST SUBTERRANEAN CASTLE FILLED WITH ESURIENT MONSTERS, FABULOUS TREASURES, AND THE INCREDIBLE *ORB OF ZOT*.
FROM THAT TIME HENCE, MANY A BOLD YOUTH HAS VENTURED INTO THE WIZARD'S CASTLE. AS OF NOW, *NONE* HAS EVER EMERGED VICTORIOUSLY! BEWARE!!
ALL RIGHT, BOLD ONE.
YOU MAY BE AN ELF, DWARF, MAN, OR HOBBIT.
YOUR CHOICE?
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 5
archaeo, Blobbo, rockygargoyle, Sar, Sprucery

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 4th September 2015, 18:27

Isn't Zot supposed to feel like it's designed by an insane wizard? Death cobs, electric golems, and killer clowns fit perfectly with that theme.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 4th September 2015, 20:29

Enish wrote:Every good story,

hahahahahahahahahaha

For this message the author ZipZipskins has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Enish

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 7th September 2015, 00:22

ydeve wrote:Isn't Zot supposed to feel like it's designed by an insane wizard? Death cobs, electric golems, and killer clowns fit perfectly with that theme.

I agree. But not only them. There are Draconians too. If I were a Draconian and had obvious advantage I would get rid of those annoying Death (just why) Cobs and Killer Klowns. Eventually I would turn insane locked forever behind the gates with three round spaces in its impenetrable structure. It's actually insane how half-human half-dragons deal with they morale and... with themselves despite of being, naturally loner race (Dragons are loners, right?), different species (Heritage of different kind of dragons that somehow ended up looking like a human-being and I don't want to know how it had happened) and being locked FOREVER in the god damn CRAZY DUNGEON.

But if the gate can be opened through inside, why Draconian character can't try to outsmart rest of them and just shout to open the gate?
(another 't' command to open/close gates - might also be useful if you want to summon janitors and tread through the corridors like a lord)

Anyways - there is nothing crazy about Clowns and Cobs. They are plain silly. Never changing abyss is crazy and - as a contrary - impressively well-designed.

Wikipedia wrote:MANY CYCLES AGO, IN THE KINGDOM OF N'DIC, THE GNOMIC WIZARD ZOT FORGED HIS GREAT *ORB OF POWER*. HE SOON VANISHED, LEAVING BEHIND HIS VAST SUBTERRANEAN CASTLE FILLED WITH ESURIENT MONSTERS, FABULOUS TREASURES, AND THE INCREDIBLE *ORB OF ZOT*.
FROM THAT TIME HENCE, MANY A BOLD YOUTH HAS VENTURED INTO THE WIZARD'S CASTLE. AS OF NOW, *NONE* HAS EVER EMERGED VICTORIOUSLY! BEWARE!!
ALL RIGHT, BOLD ONE.
YOUR CHOICE?

I know that. Nevertheless it would make me smile if game I love had the most important piece of information appearing in actual script.

PS. In my current game I tend to throw pieces of meat (I like to be sure if I my avatar is not throwing bolts without using the crossbow). Why couldn't this count as a spell that grants you pemranent hound-type ally (chances based on HD, neglected by playing Felid)?

For this message the author Enish has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th September 2015, 06:24

Enish wrote:PS. In my current game I tend to throw pieces of meat (I like to be sure if I my avatar is not throwing bolts without using the crossbow). Why couldn't this count as a spell that grants you pemranent hound-type ally (chances based on HD, neglected by playing Felid)?

Yeah and let's make it so that you can train your dog that way to fetch items from the floor. And steal from shops...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 7th September 2015, 06:45

clearly you want the orb to conquer the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8u7px_GzWQ

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 7th September 2015, 07:07

Enish wrote:
ydeve wrote:Isn't Zot supposed to feel like it's designed by an insane wizard? Death cobs, electric golems, and killer clowns fit perfectly with that theme.

I agree. But not only them. There are Draconians too. If I were a Draconian and had obvious advantage I would get rid of those annoying Death (just why) Cobs and Killer Klowns. Eventually I would turn insane locked forever behind the gates with three round spaces in its impenetrable structure. It's actually insane how half-human half-dragons deal with they morale and... with themselves despite of being, naturally loner race (Dragons are loners, right?), different species (Heritage of different kind of dragons that somehow ended up looking like a human-being and I don't want to know how it had happened) and being locked FOREVER in the god damn CRAZY DUNGEON.

But if the gate can be opened through inside, why Draconian character can't try to outsmart rest of them and just shout to open the gate?
(another 't' command to open/close gates - might also be useful if you want to summon janitors and tread through the corridors like a lord)

Anyways - there is nothing crazy about Clowns and Cobs. They are plain silly. Never changing abyss is crazy and - as a contrary - impressively well-designed.

Wikipedia wrote:MANY CYCLES AGO, IN THE KINGDOM OF N'DIC, THE GNOMIC WIZARD ZOT FORGED HIS GREAT *ORB OF POWER*. HE SOON VANISHED, LEAVING BEHIND HIS VAST SUBTERRANEAN CASTLE FILLED WITH ESURIENT MONSTERS, FABULOUS TREASURES, AND THE INCREDIBLE *ORB OF ZOT*.
ALL RIGHT, BOLD ONE.
YOUR CHOICE?

I know that. Nevertheless it would make me smile if game I love had the most important piece of information appearing in actual script.

PS. In my current game I tend to throw pieces of meat (I like to be sure if I my avatar is not throwing bolts without using the crossbow). Why couldn't this count as a spell that grants you pemranent hound-type ally (chances based on HD, neglected by playing Felid)?

Your intentions are good I guess, but I would be mad if every last vestige of linley henzell's sense of humor was removed from stone soup.
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

For this message the author scorpionwarrior has received thanks: 2
cerebovssquire, Sar

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 7th September 2015, 07:50

Your intentions are good I guess, but I would be mad if every last vestige of linley henzell's sense of humor was removed from stone soup.

It's not a necessity. One level of Zot could have silly creatures in it. Or particular area like Hall of Blades in Elven Keep.
I just don't like like seeing Ancient Liches / Draconians fighting with Killer Klowns in the same team. My opinion is that they should be removed, but a pre-made area with the gnome skeleton (?) containing all the original-silly stuff in one coherent pack may be still better than mixing themes.

ydeve wrote:Enish wrote:

Yeah and let's make it so that you can train your dog that way to fetch items from the floor. And steal from shops...

I think that it would be still more fun than spamming wand of enslavement - to discover alternative uses of common items. I am also big fan of Sticks to Snakes. I remember what was the feeling seeing this idea put into ASCII graphics game. Same with creative Dowan/Duvessa combo.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 7th September 2015, 13:49

I'm fine with Death Cobs, 'm happy getting them as Yred followers. Toenail-Golems and Death-Toes? Not so much... :|
But the idea of the Madness area is really worth pursuing, a Madhouse Dungeon level a la Castle Greyhawk. With traps which reward character flaws and punish strengths perhaps.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner