A couple of suggestions.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 31st August 2015, 23:44

A couple of suggestions.

This time I have two suggestions: One that fixes a problem that makes me very angry and another that fixes a problem that makes me very sad.

1) I don't know if this is intended or not, but it is very clear over a multitude of repeated tries it is impossible to confuse creatures like Shambling Mangroves and Gargoyles of any kind, yet DCSS tells me there's a success chance (it's around 50% for the Gargoyles). What is going on? Why is this happening? Why is this chance being displayed if those creatures are immune to confusion? If there's any sort of secret immunity these creatures possess, it's clearly species-wide (and thus not secret) and should be noted in the success chance. The game already tells you if an enemy is magic immune so this seems like a natural jump, yet it's not implemented. Why?

2) There should be an option to convert unusable artifacts to objects of their base type. Basically, I play mostly SpEn, and it makes me cry a little when I see an artifact leather armor or artifact gloves. It's clearly intentional that unusable items are supposed to be present to represent the weaknesses of playing characters that can't use all of their body slots, so I'm not asking for that to be changed. I simply don't want to see artifact stuff that I can't equip. I think an option to make it so that regular unusable armor spawns in its place would be appropriate. If I wanted to be saddened by things that I couldn't use I would just worship Xom

Also, on a side note, why do Death Yaks have 100 MR? What's the reasoning behind this one?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 31st August 2015, 23:51

Re: A couple of suggestions.

PowerOfKaishin wrote:This time I have two suggestions: One that fixes a problem that makes me very angry and another that fixes a problem that makes me very sad.

1) I don't know if this is intended or not, but it is very clear over a multitude of repeated tries it is impossible to confuse creatures like Shambling Mangroves and Gargoyles of any kind, yet DCSS tells me there's a success chance (it's around 50% for the Gargoyles). What is going on? Why is this happening? Why is this chance being displayed if those creatures are immune to confusion? If there's any sort of secret immunity these creatures possess, it's clearly species-wide (and thus not secret) and should be noted in the success chance. The game already tells you if an enemy is magic immune so this seems like a natural jump, yet it's not implemented. Why?

I suspect it just got missed, "magic immune" and hex percentages in general are pretty new, submit it as a bug report in mantis
PowerOfKaishin wrote:2) There should be an option to convert unusable artifacts to objects of their base type. Basically, I play mostly SpEn, and it makes me cry a little when I see an artifact leather armor or artifact gloves. It's clearly intentional that unusable items are supposed to be present to represent the weaknesses of playing characters that can't use all of their body slots, so I'm not asking for that to be changed. I simply don't want to see artifact stuff that I can't equip. I think an option to make it so that regular unusable armor spawns in its place would be appropriate. If I wanted to be saddened by things that I couldn't use I would just worship Xom

The idea is that the RNG is arbitrary and uncaring (it's not completely, but you should get that feeling) DCSS is a cold, hard, uncaring world
PowerOfKaishin wrote:Also, on a side note, why do Death Yaks have 100 MR? What's the reasoning behind this one?

Because they're jerks, really, Death Yaks are just flat-out a pain in the ass, and having high MR is part of that package.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Sar

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 1st September 2015, 01:57

Not sure which version you are playing. In trunk it is definitely possible to confuse gargoyles. There was some commit which untangled this "magic immune" and "MR" stuff, but I am too lazy to find it out now.

Death Yaks are kind of the "boss mob" in lair. Since pretty much everthing in Lair (except Hydras and spriggans sometimes) is hexable, they fill this niche of not making everything in Lair trivial for enchanters I suppose.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 1st September 2015, 03:37

Where do I go to submit a bug report? I looked and couldn't find it (though admittingly I didn't look too hard since I also had other questions).

What is the primary way of killing Death Yaks? Currently I'm luring them around the corner one-by-one and then brute forcing confuse on them. The wiki basically says pray to the RNG god for ignite poison.

What is the trunk? I see the ability to download that off the main site, but I dunno.

I'm playing 16.1. None of the updates for 16.2 reference this bug I referred to in the OP.

Also, sorry to get a little off-topic, but what is the design philosophy behind Demigods? That title alone should strike fear and terror into every mortal creature in the dungeon, but they seem so weak. Like, all they have is stats and some extra HP and MP. They're pretty much below average in nearly every other area (very far so in some areas) and they have no other bonuses that one would expect something called a "Demigod" to have, such as possibly Spriggan-level MR or the ability to learn quickly (Demigods would be smarter than the average bear, no?).

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 1st September 2015, 03:43

Some races are deliberately hard, like formicids and mummies, demigods are kind of in that category. I think they were designed to have high ability scores being their specialities, although they look truly pathetic when compared with zin and chei.

Trunk is the latest version basically, you can play it here https://crawl.s-z.org/#play-dcss-git, e.g.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 1st September 2015, 04:01

PowerOfKaishin wrote:Where do I go to submit a bug report? I looked and couldn't find it (though admittingly I didn't look too hard since I also had other questions).

What is the primary way of killing Death Yaks? Currently I'm luring them around the corner one-by-one and then brute forcing confuse on them. The wiki basically says pray to the RNG god for ignite poison.

What is the trunk? I see the ability to download that off the main site, but I dunno.

I'm playing 16.1. None of the updates for 16.2 reference this bug I referred to in the OP.

Also, sorry to get a little off-topic, but what is the design philosophy behind Demigods? That title alone should strike fear and terror into every mortal creature in the dungeon, but they seem so weak. Like, all they have is stats and some extra HP and MP. They're pretty much below average in nearly every other area (very far so in some areas) and they have no other bonuses that one would expect something called a "Demigod" to have, such as possibly Spriggan-level MR or the ability to learn quickly (Demigods would be smarter than the average bear, no?).

I think Demigods are a top tier race under the following assumption: The game is over around the time other good races would reach 1* of piety (in that the remainder of the game is too trivial to be of any note). I can't really say Dg is that good when other races can use Trog.

The point is to forbid gods while giving some other bonuses in return but I don't think they're that amazing.
remove food

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 1st September 2015, 05:36

Since there is no possibility to learn depends on God(Stupid play style and worse early game) Dg is the most excellent species for beginners.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 1st September 2015, 12:36

It was already reported on mantis (see https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=9391), though the original issue with gargoyles is gone in trunk since they can be confused now.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 1st September 2015, 12:40

By the time you encounter Death Yaks, you should usually have some other method than Hexes. Enchanters should diversify sooner or later. A good god for SpEn is Kiku, because he allows zombies, which can take down high MR monsters. Nemelex is also good.

Or you can just run away, since you are Sp.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner