Warpers and teleport other

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

The last time you won a warper, how many times did you use Teleport Other before entering lair?

Zero
53%
At least once, just for the novelty
20%
At least once, and I was grateful to have it
27%

Total votes : 15

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 18:10

Warpers and teleport other

Teleport Other: useful spell, or waste of space?
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 18:15

Re: Warpers and teleport other

I am not sure why you put "last time you won a warper". Does it mean those who have never won Wr cannot vote?
I voted for the last option, it has 100% votes, you can close the poll :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 18:21

Also why did you put "before Lair"? The spell has much better spell power when you can cast Phase Shift and there are still many monsters with low MR in and after Lair.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 18:32

Used it 4 times before lair, but I'm not sure why we're limiting it to 'before lair.' If you had a weak character, teleport other would be pretty good for getting rid of Lair baddies that you don't want to fight. Also good against low MR orcs- it's a lot easier to get the Orc 4 shops at a low level if you can get rid of the Warlords and Knights while you take out the trash.

Its niche is that it can be used to 'escape' from certain monsters but you don't have to leave the area, which is nice if you're trying to kill a pack or loot a vault or something. It can also be an escape option if something fast is chasing you and you're far away from the stairs. So while it may be largely redundant as a pure escape option, I think it does open up some tactics and strategies that Blink and Passage of Golubria do not.

Of course the triple threat of slow startup time, MR negates, and the randomness of the actual teleport all conspire to make the spell pretty mediocre. But I don't think it's a waste of space.
Spoiler: show
Psst, hey kid... you like roguelikes?

For this message the author wizzzargh has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 18:37

wizzzargh wrote:Used it 4 times before lair, but I'm not sure why we're limiting it to 'before lair.' If you had a weak character, teleport other would be pretty good for getting rid of Lair baddies that you don't want to fight. Also good against low MR orcs- it's a lot easier to get the Orc 4 shops at a low level if you can get rid of the Warlords and Knights while you take out the trash.

You reminded me how I used EH:

With 0 Hexes/Ice and 4.1 spellcasting I had 30% chance to hibernate Spiny Frog/Black Mamba (checked in wizmode)

I guess Teleport Other will have a much higher chance to work because Wr starts with 3 levels in Translocations, 2 levels in spellcasting and the spell is a single school one.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 18:54

I Ended one of my streaks on a NaWr of chei because i decided to not learn that spell and then ijyb showed up with a wand of frost.

The spell starts to become obsolete when you are on a dire situation and you cannot risk having the enemy resisting the tele, so you read a tele scroll for yourself instead. in case of a Fo you usually shaft.

In other situations you just use it to reduce the number of enemies around you. There are many strategies where i can see the spell being useful but not really that necessary.
You shall never see my color again.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 18:57

Last time I played a Wr was a DDWr in depths started by qw.
Comborobin Admin

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 18:59

Teleport Other always seemed like Cause Fear to me: a good and useful spell I almost never use because, by the time I get them "online," I usually have better ways of escaping from danger. These are good spells, but I rarely find myself in situations where they seem like the best choice; I'm either in so little danger I'd rather just kill dudes, or I'm in enough danger that it makes more sense to read ?tele or ?fear (or use another consumable).

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 19:14

Sandman25 wrote:I am not sure why you put "last time you won a warper". Does it mean those who have never won Wr cannot vote?

Yes. They shouldn't vote about the usefulness of a spell to a background they never won.

It also means that instead of thinking back to that time you won a Warper three games ago when you did use Teleport Other to your advantage, you look only at the last game so it's more of a random sample.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 19:16

But cause fear is useful for crowd control and to finish off enemies with ranged. Its also a instant effect.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 19:17

Berder wrote:It also means that instead of thinking back to that time you won a Warper three games ago when you did use Teleport Other to your advantage, you look only at the last game so it's more of a random sample.

That was my last game (probably, I am not sure, it was long time ago), I don't like the background. I won it once and that's it. It does not mean I dislike Teleport Other ;)
Last edited by Sandman25 on Thursday, 20th August 2015, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 19:19

dynast wrote:But cause fear is useful for crowd control and to finish off enemies with ranged. Its also a instant effect.

It's level 4 spell in a school for stabbers and those who go for Silence. Phase Shift is optimal for most characters I believe.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 19:22

Sandman25 wrote:It's level 4 spell in a school for stabbers and those who go for Silence. Phase Shift is optimal for most characters I believe.

No, its not, dont ever say "school for stabbers" when reffering to hexes to me unless you want to get into a nasty flame war. And you dont start with silence or phase shift and they are not even remotely similar.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 19:27

Yeah, cause fear is one of those generally useful spells that anybody should pick up if they have the spare spell levels and hexes.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 19:27

dynast wrote:No, its not, dont ever say "school for stabbers" when reffering to hexes to me unless you want to get into a nasty flame war. And you dont start with silence or phase shift and they are not even remotely similar.

I am not sure I don't want nasty flame war ;) (not in this thread though). Please don't forget that we are talking about level 4 spell here. Do you know many non-stabbers who train Hexes to level 4+ for something other than Silence? I remind you that Tukima's Dance, Spectral Weapon and Dazzling Spray are level 3, you don't get Cause Fear for free here.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 19:50

For this message the author dynast has received thanks:
Sandman25

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 20:43

fwiw, I only brought up Cause Fear because it's in the same category of "generally optimal spells I always forget to use instead of consumables."

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 21:07

i voted no, but i have no idea if that was optimal play, it's entirely possible that i would have been safer if i had done so at some point. obvious maybe, but what you're asking here is not whether the spell is objectively useful but if people actually use it. perhaps the latter is more relevant anyways.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 21:20

I can't vote, but I'm currently playing my best Warper so far (HaWr of Dith in Spider now, or Ice Cave to be exact), and I haven't cast Teleport Other once so far.

It would probably have been useful in some situations, but I've found other solutions.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 22:33

The TrWr I played last night used it 4 times, once before the lair (IIRC on pikel with a elec whip, I could be wrong though, I play a lot of games)

For reference: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17427

Chei does make teleO more valuable, however being a massively overpowered troll with some large rocks makes it less so, so interpret that how you will.

What it was good for was giving me some breathing room when things got too hot and hairy and I needed to regen some MP or HP.

However I would definitely say it's not *often* a useful spell
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner