Two new draconian colors

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 5th August 2015, 18:25

Two new draconian colors

OH NO NOT ANOTHER NEW DRACONIAN COLOR THREAD

Hear me out

I really like Draconians and Demonspawn because they enable altering your playstyle in the mid-early game, in the same way that finding a great axe on a mace wielder might encourage them to switch. There are two niches that I think could be interesting and sufficiently distinct from the others, without being too complicated.

Blue Draconian:
-1 earth, -1 fire, +2 translocations, aquatic (I'd also recommend grey draconians lose amphibious because it's just kinda weird)

Theme: The blue draconian is one that is in tune with the sea, at the cost of shunning the earth and losing command over fire. Their slippery nature makes them excellent at translocations, and they are perfectly adapted for ocean environments.

Breath attack: a weaker phial of floods effect, it does no damage, but can be maintained for several turns ala Searing Ray to push back larger enemies, which also increases the breath cooldown. It also does not form shallow water.

Niche- The translocations boost and positioning tool make blue draconians more tactical and better hunters/ranged fighters.

Shadow Draconian:
+Stealth, getting ++ at level 15, +2 dodging, +1 hexes, -1 invocations

The shadow draconian's coloration makes it difficult to see in the dim light of the Dungeon. However, their reclusive nature and unsavory reputation make it difficult to communicate with the gods.

Breath: Swirling shadows: Makes a cloud of black smoke that lasts a few turns, ala Conjure Flame. It does not block LOS, but it does blind any enemies standing in it, which lasts a turn after they step out.

Niche: Pretty straightforward, a draconian that supports a stealth playstyle.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

For this message the author TeshiAlair has received thanks: 6
Arrhythmia, le_nerd, rockygargoyle, Sar, Sprucery, WalkerBoh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th August 2015, 20:47

Re: Two new draconian colors

They're well thought out and support interesting playstyles, especially the shadow draconian. I'd be a bit concerned neither of them get a resistance, maybe blue can get rC and shadow gets rN? If you want to argue that stealth++ counts as a resistance, I'd be fine with that, but at least blue should get something.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 5th August 2015, 21:16

Im still waiting for yellow draconian to be removed before assuming colors are meant to support playstyles.
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th August 2015, 21:18

Yellow draconian clearly supports debuffing monsters without the use of hexes, enabling quick blade characters to be more viable! It also supports easy Slime.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 14:28

Dont try too hard to justificate a shitty color, easy slime is not a playstyle and debuffing without hexes by acid spitting/biting(which you only get after 14 or something) its more of a challenge proposal.
You shall never see my color again.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 14:50

Yeah I always feel kind of shitty when I roll a yellow draconian.

As far as blue resistances, aquatic is guaranteed to make one branch easier, and a more critical branch than Slime, but then again rCorr is pretty necessary for slime, whereas aquatic/flight isn't realllly necessary for Swamp/Shoals. Maybe they could get a watery shroud around them at lvl 15 or something, akin to weak Shroud of Golubria.

Shadow getting rN makes sense.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 16:00

it's not like mottled really gets much more in terms of resistances either, or pale while we're at that.

(both are still better than yellow)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 16:59

True but they both have really fun breaths.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 13:55

I like the shadow one (but i don't agree about that EV bonus), dislike blue (but as you can see below, i agree with grey losing amphibious). I don't know the lore of draconians in game, but they are related to dragons right? So why we don't have one draconian color per dragon? Checking wiki we have:

Steam Dragon - Pale Dragons: ok.
Mottled Dragon - Mottled Draconian: ok.
Swamp Dragon - Green Draconian: ok.
Fire Dragon - Red Draconian: ok.
Ice Dragon - White Draconian: ok.
Storm Dragon - Black Draconian: ok.

Quicksilver Dragon - Purple Draconian: Both breath are magic dispelling, draconian breath is bolt and quicksilver dragon is missile, both have more MR, so just change the color and the name (or just think quicksilver have purple color).

Shadow Dragon: Shadow Draconian (suggestion)

Iron dragon - Grey Draconian: this is a little more complicate than purple-quicksilver. Earth Draconian get +5 AC, Iron Dragon are very resistent. Grey Draconians are breath-less, iron dragon have a shotgun-like breath. Iron Dragon are slow. So my first suggestion is give that breath to Grey Draconians (not sure if this is good or bad). Second suggestion give more armor and HP, but give ponderous 2 (Iron dragon have 8 speed). Maybe give +5 AC in lvl 7, +9 AC ponderous 1 at 14 and +13 AC ponderous 2 at 21.

Pearl Dragon - Suggestion: Skills: Invocations +1 Charms +1 Necromancy -2 (currently i am playing trunk, and the last time i have played a draconian, i get black color but did not get any penalty in earth magic, so i think this penalty is going to be removed?) rN+ and give a Holy Breath, a cleasing flame that do more damage to undead and demon.

Bone Dragon - I don't think this is a good draconian color, is just a dead dragon revived with necromancy. Just rename draconian ghost to bone draconian.

Golden Dragon - We still have yellow draconian, so we are not going to remove then, just rework. No more acid thing, they are going to be the king of draconians! Add Poison Cloud Breath (Grey Draconian have Mephitic Cloud so is different.), Fire Breath (Don't Leave Cloud of Flame, again different), Cold Breath (Remove Knock-Back). They get rPois, rF+, rC+. They don't get any Aptitude.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 13:58

Those breath attacks sound fun to play with. Should they be added to draconian enemies? Are there glyphs left for more colors?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 17:50

Urist: one thing to note is that ponderous is an ego, not a mutation. The mutation is just called slow movement, and 1 rank is 20% slower movement, aka ponderous 2. So you'd just give them slow movement 1, which is mostly the same, except you can't split it up until two different stages.

Golden dragon also seems straight up better than most, but I think that was intentional. And while the colors will never be exactly as good, I don't think we want to have one be that much better than the rest.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
UristMcKoga

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 8th August 2015, 12:42

By the way, what is wrong with Yellow Dr? I've just got it and it does not look bad at XL7.

Code:
Aim: a ball python
You spit a glob of acid.
Rolled 6 for 3d6
The acid hits the ball python.(damage 6)
The acid corrodes the ball python!
You kill the ball python!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 8th August 2015, 13:43

Yeah, I understand that yellow drac wasn't liked with old corrosion, but now it should be ok? Especially now that caustic shrikes exist :)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 11th August 2015, 18:46

UristMcKoga wrote:Bone Dragon - I don't think this is a good draconian color, is just a dead dragon revived with necromancy. Just rename draconian ghost to bone draconian.

Golden Dragon - We still have yellow draconian, so we are not going to remove then, just rework. No more acid thing, they are going to be the king of draconians! Add Poison Cloud Breath (Grey Draconian have Mephitic Cloud so is different.), Fire Breath (Don't Leave Cloud of Flame, again different), Cold Breath (Remove Knock-Back). They get rPois, rF+, rC+. They don't get any Aptitude.

Bone draconians can be flavored thus: your flesh rots and falls away from you as your true form is revealed. And then you're undead?

Golden draconians can be made giant to compensate, which means lower EV and no gloves/boots, among other things.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner