Opposite Gods?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 17:31

Opposite Gods?

Anti-Trog or "Gort" has a pretty large follower; how would the opposite of other popular gods be received? Here are some ideas for the opposite of each.

• Anti-Ashenzari
    • Gives passive boosts for UNUSED equipment slots and tactical abilities.
    • Gives EXTRA equipment slots in exchange for lowered skills/apts.
    • Lowers your LoS.
  • Anti-Beogh
    • Forbids Orcs from worshipping him.
    • Can be invoked for smite-targeted healing.
    • Invocation to disperse enemies. (Opposite of recalling allies).
    • Passive boost to dodging.
  • Anti-Cheibriados
    • Raises your movement speed in exchange for lowering your Stats.
    • Allows you to go a few turns backwards in time.
    • Speeds up how quickly you get pulled to other regions of the Abyss.
    • Invocation to Haste other.
  • Anti-Dithmenos
    • Your stealth is lowered in exchange for better accuracy and fire magic.
    • Invocation to lower your defenses considerably (Corona, AC/2, MR-50) in return for Archmage, Haste and a Slaying Boost.
    • You disperse clouds that would either damage you or block your LoS.
    • Ability to randomly blink away from melee range (Chooses a random space not in melee range with anything).
  • Anti-Elyvilon
    • Randomly damages you, gives you status problems and summons hostiles, in exchange for something.
    • (Opposite of Ely's invocations is all self-damage, which could be an interesting Conduct; but...)
  • Fedhas Madash
    • Opposite of Fedhas (Allies that have easily controllable positioning) is basically Yred (allies that all attack mindlessly) so I got nothing.
  • Gozag
    • Takes away gold and makes fewer shops spawn in exchange for abilities that are actually useful.
  • Jiyva
    • Passively Gives Bad mutations and takes away good ones; in exchange for better loot and abilities.

I made it half way through the god list, but am getting bored and have better things to do. Anti-Chei and Anti-Ash are interesting thoughts no idea if Anti-anything else would work well.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 17:38

Re: Opposite Gods?

Anti-xom:
randomly makes you unable to move, steals gold, steals items from inventory, heals you when there are no monsters in LoS, likes when you use unbranded weapon, sends you back to dungeon out of Abyss, gives many bad mutations and a few good ones.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 17:39

Anti-Gozag = Zin.
You shall never see my color again.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 4th August 2015, 21:27

Anti-Chei sounds like a rather powerful summoner support god. Reversing time and increased movement speed gets you out of any trouble, and if you can't kill monsters with hasted allies, something is very clearly wrong.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th August 2015, 00:37

Anit-Cheribdos Diety - Like the killing of slower creatures, promotes the use of quickblades, branded speed weapons, and boots of running. Dislikes the use of any slowing rods/spells on anything, amulets of stasis, use of ponderous equipment, and resting (lose 1 piety every 25 turns while resting).
Abilities: Speeds up metabolism and regeneration with piety. Reduces action time as piety increases (max reduction 0.2 turns).
Reckless Charge - Dashes towards a target at a rapid pace dealing extra damage per tile traveled and comparative size. Max Range = 4 tiles, can miss, next round of creature melee/range attacks can deal extra damage. Cost - Hunger, 4 mp, piety, exhaustion
Stab and Run - Attack an adjacent target and move once space away from it. Can make a creature swap tiles with you if there is one in the retreat space. Cost - minor hunger, 2mp
1000 blades - A random and unfocused attack that randomly strikes adjacent tiles. Number of attacks range from 100 to 1000. Each strike does only 1 damage. Cost - Hunger, 10mp, piety

Let me know what you like, dislike, and any possible suggestions on developing these ideas further.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 5th August 2015, 01:28

duvessa wrote:Dislikes...resting (lose 1 piety every 25 turns while resting).
I know you are joking (from the fact that you mispelled the name); but a god that dislikes resting could be a horrible enough conduct to justify a god being extremely powerful. (probably have to accomplish via fast piety decay in general; which would also hate on backtracking for that to work though). Hates resting and just resting would encourage randomly wandering to heal.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th August 2015, 01:36

bcadren wrote:
duvessa wrote:Dislikes...resting (lose 1 piety every 25 turns while resting).
I know you are joking (from the fact that you mispelled the name); but a god that dislikes resting could be a horrible enough conduct to justify a god being extremely powerful. (probably have to accomplish via fast piety decay in general; which would also hate on backtracking for that to work though). Hates resting and just resting would encourage randomly wandering to heal.
Your comments are very uninteresting, unhelpful and destructive. The archer diety has no high power damage like Slouch (which can be considered game breaking). It has some decent escape defence abilities and some helpful attacks. Do you think short term paralysis is overpowered even if creatures can resist it? Do you think the random moving of adjacent creatures will save you from the elven armies at the bottom of the elven halls? The only real overpowered one would be the Anti-Cheribdos, but even the damage of the 1000 blades (as unpredictable as it could be) is nowhere near the power of Slouch.

I want constructive advice that promotes creativity, not dismissal and outright stubborn rejection.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 5th August 2015, 01:43

Also, a lot of people who are offering rebuttals are saying that we shouldn’t criticize the ones who make our game and that it takes hours to code need to realize that, we are not criticizing those developers. I’m pretty sure most people’s problem is with duvessa (even if they don’t realize it), who does next to no coding (even stated as such in the wiki) and is the main “idea” guy.

Problem is, he’s a sperg and has proven time and time again he is willing to let his creative vision get in the way of good design decisions. I have no problem telling him he sucks, especially after how he has treated the community in the thread. He doesn’t even contribute that much to the development process, he mostly implements vaults created by other people and probably spends the rest of his time dreaming up his magical turtle race that can’t wear armor, but can strap up to 10 shields on their back! Wow, what differentiated and unique gameplay! This is a personal attack, and a flame, I don’t care. How come katanas aren’t “Crawly” when kenku are anyway? They are both Japanese copncepts!

I agree that most of Crawl’s problems are GAMEPLAY related rather than programming related. In terms of nuts and bolts programming, Crawl is about as impeccable and professional as a non-commercial roguelike can be. The only thing that comes close is DoomRL IMO. However, Crawl’s gameplay has reached the point where its designed into an extremely steep difficulty at the cost of both accessibility to a less hardcore audience and designed to kill you likely early on to make you get REALLY frustrated. MDFi was the most accessible melee class and a great way to bypass this frustration. With the safety valve of MDFi gone, we’ve lost the best way to learn the Crawl universe.
The way the community was treated in both this thread and the other one antagonized me so much that merely putting MD back won’t be enough to make me happy. I’ll only make peace once duvessa is gone. duvessa is not being personally attacked, its the reverse. New players are making comments out of their love for the game. He ridicules them and replies with sarcasm like “I like to think of Snow white and garden dwarves” and “I was read Greek epics when I was in cradle”. How is this community-driven development? This is one guy who hasn’t done any programming posing as the main developer and galvanizing newcomers.

I understand there’s little motivation for making the game better if there’s bitter arguing about what direction to take. But it’s developers like duvessa that are provoking the discontent on purpose.

If this goes through, there’s two races that you can play as with armor, HO and MI. Otherwise you use spells for protecting your ass, or die horribly. HP, shields or evasion are not reliable protection in the end. 2 fighters, 200 variations of spellcasters. That’s your diversity.

For this message the author rockygargoyle has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th August 2015, 07:14

Clearly what we need in addition to the Markov chain bot is a bot that posts random old posts.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th August 2015, 07:21

The thread necro bot?
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 5th August 2015, 13:16

That's fair, as I bet players who don't mitigate torment with a missile user is that slimes get nasty after they run out of Yellow Submarine. seriously: converting brain worm/dragon, hounds and how much drama tasonir, Statue Form, then someone suggests removing elven ring mails, and amount of peak irony. mps, you're dealing with black mambas, or disagreeing, or just making a big fan of the game' frustration, like mutations or heavy drain. This is same for the unpredictable fun of disagreement.

Crawl has had lots of spoilers! at least as far as roguelikes go, I had Int as lowest stat so Focus wouldn't even work. it was, and still is, stupid, but I dont even know what stuff and skills your character unique and can't get off their asses to code anything. Do you see that again since thats always my choice based on aptitudes? I don't care, and I dislike tabbing through waves of enemies.

Basically, I don't really like the idea of playing well, especially in the most common first 15. I'll do it in wizmode.

Whoops, look forward for later!

For this message the author Cerekov has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, scorpionwarrior

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner