Which hurts worse?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 24th May 2011, 21:14

Which hurts worse?

Since I had the crazy idea of trying to win with Xom, I've lost a lot of promising characters. It got me thinking, which types of death suck more?

1. Dying because you did something stupid or forgot some resource which could have saved you.
2. Dying due to luck, like if both you and the enemy can only survive one more hit and you miss.
3. Seeing the "You die" message out of nowhere, when you were sure you were going to live.
4. Knowing there was just nothing you could have done.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2011, 00:22

Re: Which hurts worse?

Deaths only bother me if they came through carelessness (and I get a LOT of those). A worthy death, on the other hand, is quite all right. If I tried everything and still died against sudden, overwhelming odds, I'll take it as a perfectly satisfactory end to that character.
Dowan says "Her death will not be in vain!"
You bludgeon Dowan!
This raw flesh tastes great!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2011, 00:33

Dying due to overestimating my character's strength (like, "I surely can take down this Orc Warrior!" while playing an XL 5 non-spellcasting Mummy). It makes me feel stupid and amateurish.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2011, 00:43

Same as galehar for me.
Edit: I mean minmay.

Two DDCK of Makhleb I lost a few months ago qualify for this perfectly. One I lost in Zot to a Storm dragon that boltbounced me to death from near full HP the moment it entered LOS. Another one I lost on Lom Lobon's level because I forgot to refresh Flight (which I had up pretty much always), then cast Tornado (this gives flight for the duration), cblinked to some guys on an island, then tried to move on. Over the water. Tornado ended. Also it seems my flight buff that I didn't refresh had ended. Not quite the same as dying to not knowing something simple, but it could have been trivially avoided, and made me feel like a complete idiot. Each of these made me stop playing crawl for a month or more.

Dying to mundane incompetence I'm used to by now, but instadeath and stupid death really are the worst, especially late in the game.
Last edited by Galefury on Wednesday, 25th May 2011, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2011, 11:13

Galefury wrote:Same as galehar for me.

I haven't posted here :)

Galefury wrote:then tried to move on. Over the water. Tornado ended. Also it seems my flight buff that I didn't refresh had ended.

Won't happen in 0.9. You get prompted before flying over water while levitation is expiring (and a bunch of other similar cases).
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2011, 11:16

Galefury wrote:instadeath and stupid death really are the worst, especially late in the game.

This.

Dying due to inattention late in the game has happened to me a few times - stupid, pointless deaths where just looking at my inventory or (worse) trivially walking away from a fight would have worked, 12 or even 16 hours of play wasted because for some reason I stop caring for a crucial 30 seconds.

Then I care, when it's too late.

Those hurt the most. One of them is why I'm not playing at the moment :P

Getting killed by overwhelming force that I know I've done my best to overcome, and just not been strong enough (getting Abyssed before I'm ready, or chased down when I have the Slow mutation, or getting mugged by a surprise vault). These things I have no problem with, though obviously I'm disappointed to lose. I sigh to myself, and roll up another character.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner