Why is there no Demon Axe?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 28th July 2015, 16:23

Why is there no Demon Axe?

Most of the weapon types have a "fast version" weapon, but Axes and Staves do not. Lajatang is kind of hard to improve on, but what about axes? Is the 7 damage of the hand axe already the maximum you'd want to give cleaving at speed 6?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th July 2015, 17:08

Re: Why is there no Demon Axe?

demons tried making one

results weren't pretty: https://lookupdb.guy.ht/#term/obsidian_axe

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
Lasty, Pollen_Golem

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 28th July 2015, 18:20

Demon Weapons are dumb anyways. Weapon that's gimmick is...you can't use it if you are of three specific gods; unless you go back to one of those god's altar with full piety and have it bless it.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Blobbo, duvessa

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 29th July 2015, 03:47

yeah, I'm surprised they haven't been removed or changed for the same reason as dwarven/elven equipment
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 29th July 2015, 12:48

bcadren wrote:Demon Weapons are dumb anyways. Weapon that's gimmick is...you can't use it if you are of three specific gods; unless you go back to one of those god's altar with full piety and have it bless it.

Well, in my mind that's not the core feature of demon weapons. Demon weapons are one-handed viable fast versions of their skill which are mostly not available early. The god aspect is fairly extraneous to their identity.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 29th July 2015, 14:05

byrel wrote:Demon weapons are one-handed viable fast versions of their skill which are mostly not available early. The god aspect is fairly extraneous to their identity.
Thank you for clarifying my question, this is indeed what I have in mind. Bardiche vs. Executioner's Axe suggests that cleaving and reaching are identically weighted, but there is a demon trident but no demon axe.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 29th July 2015, 14:07

Probably to make the obsidian axe "special". I don't know what delay and damage numbers you would give to one, it would probably end up being a better broad axe. Not that I would have any complaints about better axes being added.
remove food

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 29th July 2015, 14:10

Well, I guess a demon axe would be damage 12, 6 min delay, 13 base delay, since a broad axe is 13 damage, 7 min-delay, 16 base delay. But a war axe is already damage 11, 7 min delay, 15 base delay. So there's not really a good niche for them.

But, in another sense, executioners are demons, so executioner's axes are already demon axes. Demons just happen to prefer big slow axes. So we should just rename exec axes to demon axes.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 29th July 2015, 14:48

Axes don't have a demon equivalent and polearms don't have a slow-but-strong one-hander (double sword, eveningstar, broad axe). I don't think there's a problem with having some disparity in what sorts of weapons exist in each weapon category.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 6
Arrhythmia, hannobal, MainiacJoe, nago, Rast, Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 29th July 2015, 15:36

Lasty wrote:Axes don't have a demon equivalent and polearms don't have a slow-but-strong one-hander (double sword, eveningstar, broad axe).
I hadn't noticed this lack in polearms, thank you. Now that both melee-plus categories (cleaving / reaching) also both have a weapon archetype missing (fast one-hander / heavy one-hander), my OCD is satisfied.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 29th July 2015, 16:05

How about this:

Demon Lochaber-Axe (I'm pretty sure that's the right spelling)

It's a duel skill weapon, with 2 different attacks, chosen randomly*, but weighted based on your polearms vs axe skill. Damage/accuracy bonus and attack speed are determined by the average of polearms and axe skills.

Attack 1: Base damage 12, base delay 13, cleaving, range 1.
Attack 2: Base damage 14, base delay 16, range 2 (*This attack is always used on a reaching attack)

Now it fills BOTH missing weapon niches, and a whole new niche that up until this very moment nobody realized needed filling!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th July 2015, 19:43

There's also no demon staff, although that may be for bad-pun-avoiding rather than for any other reason.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Pollen_Golem

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 29th July 2015, 19:57

The demon Lochaber-Axestaff also uses the staff skill then. Those attacks are range 1, non cleaving, base damage 19, base delay 19, thus filling the need for a high skill, high delay staff.(You are hitting with the handle with this attack, which inexplicably is more damaging than the axe blade or pointed tip, because demons)

Anything else wise guy? :P

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 29th July 2015, 20:08

Can it use short blades skill for stabbing damage and launcher skills for ranged damage?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 29th July 2015, 20:29

Oh crap, you're right. There are no demon launchers or demon short blades. I think this item is loaded up enough already though, so obviously the answer to your question is that we need another new weapon, the demon gunblade!

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 13:35

Siegurt wrote:There's also no demon staff, although that may be for bad-pun-avoiding rather than for any other reason.

The Majin-Bo is literally a demon according to its description, if that counts.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
Sar

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 13:42

What is the bad pun?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 14:34

I think it's a penis joke. Staves are typically longer in one dimension than in the other two, and anything that fits that description is often compared to a penis, presumably for "comedic" purposes. Also, maybe demons can be male, so that makes it even more funny.

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
duvessa

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 14:45

Staff of fire or staff of death are funnier than demon staff. I guess I just don't see why it would even be a funny pun.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 30th July 2015, 14:59

ajon wrote:Staff of fire or staff of death are funnier than demon staff. I guess I just don't see why it would even be a funny pun.

Nobody said anything about it being funny...
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 31st July 2015, 06:46

They said pun which implies a humor most of the time.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 31st July 2015, 06:53

there should be a demon short blade called demon quick blade, then you can call it dick blade for short

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
ajon

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 31st July 2015, 19:19

ajon wrote:They said pun which implies a humor most of the time.

Many times puns are an attempt at humor, yes. Only rarely do the succeed. I was implying that this would be one of the unsuccessfully humorous sort.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner