What is the point of sprint? as tutorial?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 28th July 2015, 02:01

What is the point of sprint? as tutorial?

I don't see the pre-defined maps of Sprint doing anything useful with the whole point of Crawl i.e. randomly generated everything. I imagined it doing something useful to train the player, by putting you through the same situation over and over until you get it right, so you would efficiently develop skills for the main game. In practice it turns out different. There is too much choice in god/species/etc. The small nature of Sprint distorts the usefulness of certain strategies and tactics. You are heavily penalized in the beginning for not being a troll berserker. You die in the first room X times, then you figure it out and die in the second room Y times, until you figure it out and move on to the third room, etc etc. So you really figure out how to play Crawl Sprint but not Crawl.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th July 2015, 02:02

Re: What is the point of sprint? as tutorial?

to have fun

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, xentronium

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th July 2015, 02:05

Yes, "Crawl Sprint" is a variant it's not intended as a way to learn to play crawl (There's a thing called a 'tutorial' for that), some people like and enjoy it, if you prefer you can think of it as a different game using the same game engine.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 28th July 2015, 06:35

It allows you to practice cheesing lom lobon at extremely low level. Lets you practice using various god abilities. Teaches you how to safely kill most of the unique enemies. Teaches you how to use chei effectively. Forces you to learn how to use invisibility.

TrBe is not a particularly good sprint combo.
Comborobin Admin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th July 2015, 07:24

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 28th July 2015, 07:58

Sprints are...significantly harder than normal crawl.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th July 2015, 19:30

It is a completely separate puzzle game that just happens to run off the same engine. Maps aren't quite static, but they're close, so you can try various things to solve the puzzle, and if you fail you can just reset the map and try again with a new idea.

Puzzle games really aren't my thing, so I haven't played most of the Sprint maps even once, but I'm glad they're there for the people who like them.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner