Crown of Eternal Torment

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 04:35

Re: Crown of Eternal Torment

File200 wrote:the majority of people [...] devs care too much about certain parts of the playerbase

What makes you think that your opinion represents either the majority or the part of the playerbase the devs should care more about?

File200 wrote:
archaeo wrote:Try replacing "play" and "single-player game" with "read" and "book," or "watch" and film."
Some artists think that their work should only be enjoyed a certain way, and they are always wrong.

It sounds like the argument you're making here is that artists have no right to decide which elements are or are not in their work: if the crawl devteam doesn't want a crown of eternal torment in their game or Jane Austin didn't want car chases in her novel, both are equally invalid? I'm sure there's a part of the Austin readership that would enjoy it more with the car chases.

Does this line of argument you also mean that it was stupid for the dev team not to have added a crown of torment sooner, or is it only that content becomes irremovable after it's been added?

File200 wrote:this philosophy of obsessively controlling how people play and enjoy ... Reading posts from the devs itt is kind of painful ... The painfully stupid thing ... I don't care about whatever semantic runaround people will give me to discredit

This is level of drama and obnoxiousness isn't warranted, but it is a great way to get people to stop taking you seriously.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 2
archaeo, scorpionwarrior

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 10:46

File200 wrote:And people also need to admit that the postgame needs an overhaul.

I don't know what the current state of affairs is but for the few years i've been here, pretty much everyone has agreed that torment is idiotic and should be removed and a better mechanic added in it's stead. the problem is, i don't think anyone even bothers to enter that mess since it's been there for ages and devs are too busy removing stuff and chasing after *hack'slash'crawl, no fun allowed*

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 10:54

archaeo wrote:
File200 wrote:I don't care about whatever semantic runaround people will give me to discredit whatever parts of my post they don't want to address.

It isn't a "semantic runaround." Your entire point rests on the premise that the devs don't care enough about the players, which is absolutely wrong. Let's try this instead of flippant one-liners: above, you said, "I just don't understand this philosophy of obsessively controlling how people play and enjoy a single-player game." Try replacing "play" and "single-player game" with "read" and "book," or "watch" and film."

Trying to apply the same rules to normal media and interactive media is like giving you a deck of cards and saying you can only play solitaire with them, nothing else. and if you do anything else the guy who gave you the cards flips his shit cause "you aren't using them right"

For this message the author KittenInMyCerealz has received thanks:
dowan

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 11:43

While File2000's comments are all over the place, most of which I don't agree with, I agree with the point that controlling too much how someone enjoys the game is not a good idea. The crown was not unambiguously bad (plenty of people have said it can be useful, don't tell me they're all bad players), there was no reason to remove it on the basis that someone thinks that it is suboptimal. If someone overvalues torment, let them. If other mostly bad but fun items are going to be removed, one could start with gong and alchemist hat, for instance. Of course, there are all sorts of other factors, like there can't be infinite unrands, so the line has to be drawn somewhere etc.

Shorter version: people's utility functions differ. Of course the devs' opinion matters more, because they're coding, but ideally shouldn't try to override the utility functions of other players.

Although, as I said above, if the commit text had a semi-decent reason, some of which were mentioned in the thread, there would have been little protest. Stuff gets removed all the time (which is a good thing).

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 13:37

KittenInMyCerealz wrote:
File200 wrote:And people also need to admit that the postgame needs an overhaul.

I don't know what the current state of affairs is but for the few years i've been here, pretty much everyone has agreed that torment is idiotic and should be removed and a better mechanic added in it's stead. the problem is, i don't think anyone even bothers to enter that mess since it's been there for ages and devs are too busy removing stuff and chasing after *hack'slash'crawl, no fun allowed*

I dont think torment is the biggest problem in extended. The big problem is that its way too trivial for a lot of characters.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 13:48

KittenInMyCereal wrote:pretty much everyone has agreed that torment is idiotic and should be removed

Wait, what? I'm pretty sure the common agreement is "torment is a great mechanic to make player feel uncomfortable, but it's overused, just like hellfire".

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
all before, Wahaha

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 15:03

"everyone thinks torment is idiotic and should be removed" in no way resembles the current state of affairs. I don't feel that hellfire is overused, but the use of torment could maybe see some reduction in Tomb. What I'd rather see in Tomb is a better branch layout/design, though.

For this message the author gammafunk has received thanks:
Lasty

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 17:41

File200 wrote:What I actually said, as you quoted, is that the devs care too much about certain parts of the playerbase. That's the entire motivation behind removing these features that some people want: the features are teaching them bad things and messing up the way they play the game.

I mean, if we extend this idea to its logical conclusion, then the game would have Elm species, about fifty new level 9 spells, and a gajillion gods. There's going to be curation, especially since Crawl is lucky to have a motivated playerbase, and that means some people are going to be disappointed. That's how it goes.

KittenInMyCerealz wrote:Trying to apply the same rules to normal media and interactive media is like giving you a deck of cards and saying you can only play solitaire with them, nothing else. and if you do anything else the guy who gave you the cards flips his shit cause "you aren't using them right"

Uh, aren't cards more like a medium than a piece of media? Silly similes aside, yes, obviously there are differences between "normal" media and interactive media. But what I said isn't one of them; whether it's a chapbook or a triple-A video game, creators have to be obsessive, they have to exercise authorial control. And they have to care about their audience, though creators get to pick who they're trying to please.

bel wrote:Shorter version: people's utility functions differ. Of course the devs' opinion matters more, because they're coding, but ideally shouldn't try to override the utility functions of other players.

FWIW, I always find that devs are totally receptive to players and listen to their concerns. Two of them are in here now, explaining their reasoning and having a conversation about the change. But, I mean, DCSS has been actively developed for nearly a decade now, and every year more players participate in the tournament and more hours are logged. They've got a solid track record, who can blame them for figuring that their tenants of game design are pretty on point?

It's possible to change their minds -- I think we did with item destruction, for example! -- but we've all got to be more cool about it. Gettin' mad about video games is bad for everybody.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 2
gammafunk, Lasty

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 17:46

archaeo wrote:I think we did with item destruction, for example!

and that was terrible, RIP itemdest

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Wahaha

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 18:03

Sar wrote:
archaeo wrote:I think we did with item destruction, for example!

and that was terrible, RIP itemdest

i wish i could somehow anti-thank you
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 6
archaeo, byrel, dowan, duvessa, gammafunk, rockygargoyle

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th July 2015, 18:04

you can not-thank my next post you find thankworthy

(like this one)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th July 2015, 21:57

Not sure how many people are still reading this thread, but the central problem of extended, which also applies somewhat (but less so) to the end of a 3 rune game, is that characters with high defenses are much, much stronger than characters with low/just enough defenses. High AC, especially with high EV, can trivialize a great deal of enemies. Torment and hellfire are attempts to solve this problem, and are partially successful at doing so. I don't think there's really a perfectly clean solution to the problem, though. The best recourse is to just always leave those areas of the game as optional, and let people avoid them, as it already is.

I try to play high ac/ev characters because I like trivializing monsters and tabbing everything, but of course that's a personal opinion, and the devs have good reason to try to maintain some level of challenge in the end game, even if it isn't easy to do so.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th July 2015, 23:32

yes, characters being stronger than weaker characters is a difficult problem to solve

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 2nd August 2015, 17:54

Why is Alchemist's Hat getting lumped with other bad items? What is its drawback - the -2 AC?? This is like some running gag; I feel like there's a smirking mod removing smileys off every post that mentions Alchemist's Hat.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 2nd August 2015, 18:37

It's more like -6 to -7 AC depending on your armour level (can't wear a +2 helm). If you already have a rank of resist, another rank is not worth -7 AC. It is easy enough to get rf+/rc+. Hat of the alchemist isn't that great (unless you are really lacking in resists).
remove food

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 2nd August 2015, 18:44

and rMut, rCorr, MR, rElec, etc. are also easy enough to get that you'd prefer a +2 helmet of +3 INT or whatever?

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 2nd August 2015, 19:02

Lasty wrote:I'm sure there's a part of the Austin readership that would enjoy it more with the car chases.

Random pedantic comment. Perhaps this is a typo of "Jane Austen". Though Wikipedia informs me that "Jane Austin" was also a writer, and her books perhaps make more sense in this context. You learn something new every day.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 2nd August 2015, 19:45

tabstorm wrote:It's more like -6 to -7 AC depending on your armour level (can't wear a +2 helm). If you already have a rank of resist, another rank is not worth -7 AC...

The only way you can lose 7 AC by swapping out a non-artifact helmet for the -2 hat is in certain edge cases, due to rounding, if you have strictly more than 22 armor skill. In which case you probably have around 40 AC from body armor alone so the AC hit is likely not that big a deal.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 2nd August 2015, 23:13

Pollen_Golem wrote:Why is Alchemist's Hat getting lumped with other bad items? What is its drawback - the -2 AC?? This is like some running gag; I feel like there's a smirking mod removing smileys off every post that mentions Alchemist's Hat.

A -2 hat is 5AC less than a +2 helmet, and that means you get an average of 2.5 more damage from literally every attack made against you forever. Elemental attacks are sometimes a big deal, but the overwhelming majority of attacks in the game are physical damage that ignores all resistances anyway. You suffer an additional 2.5 damage from all of them. All of them.

In cases where a resistance is important, it usually only takes one turn of action to equip it. Even the strongest elemental attack loses half its punch the instant you swap in the appropriate ring. You only very rarely get broadsided by an elemental attack such that you cannot afford to spend one turn of action to equip for it, and in those cases you would probably be wise to spend that turn on a scroll of blinking to escape rather than trying to fight. So there's not really much pressing need to have these resistances on all the time.

Furthermore, only a truly tiny proportion of monsters refrain from telegraphing the element they're going to use against you, and there aren't very many circumstances where you can expect to get hit by more than about two elements at a time, even when multiple monsters are on the screen. When you see a fire giant, it's not likely to use ice or poison attacks on you, so you don't care if you don't have those resistances on when you're fighting it. Getting all the resistances on the same item makes it so you don't have to swap it, but really it only means you don't have to spend all those item slots on swap items since most of the time you'll only be using one of those resistances at a time anyway.

The Alchemist's Hat isn't quite a trap item, since occasionally you do get that game where you get halfway through vaults before you get an equippable item with fire resistance or something like that, but for the majority of characters it's an unfavorable trade compared to stacking AC as high as it goes and just swapping jewelry for resistances.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 00:02

KoboldLord wrote:
Pollen_Golem wrote:Why is Alchemist's Hat getting lumped with other bad items? What is its drawback - the -2 AC?? This is like some running gag; I feel like there's a smirking mod removing smileys off every post that mentions Alchemist's Hat.

A -2 hat is 5AC less than a +2 helmet, and that means you get an average of 2.5 more damage from literally every attack made against you forever. Elemental attacks are sometimes a big deal, but the overwhelming majority of attacks in the game are physical damage that ignores all resistances anyway. You suffer an additional 2.5 damage from all of them. All of them.

In cases where a resistance is important, it usually only takes one turn of action to equip it. Even the strongest elemental attack loses half its punch the instant you swap in the appropriate ring. You only very rarely get broadsided by an elemental attack such that you cannot afford to spend one turn of action to equip for it, and in those cases you would probably be wise to spend that turn on a scroll of blinking to escape rather than trying to fight. So there's not really much pressing need to have these resistances on all the time.

Furthermore, only a truly tiny proportion of monsters refrain from telegraphing the element they're going to use against you, and there aren't very many circumstances where you can expect to get hit by more than about two elements at a time, even when multiple monsters are on the screen. When you see a fire giant, it's not likely to use ice or poison attacks on you, so you don't care if you don't have those resistances on when you're fighting it. Getting all the resistances on the same item makes it so you don't have to swap it, but really it only means you don't have to spend all those item slots on swap items since most of the time you'll only be using one of those resistances at a time anyway.

The Alchemist's Hat isn't quite a trap item, since occasionally you do get that game where you get halfway through vaults before you get an equippable item with fire resistance or something like that, but for the majority of characters it's an unfavorable trade compared to stacking AC as high as it goes and just swapping jewelry for resistances.

The notable exception I can think of to that is when you have 2 +6 rings of protection already (in which case the alchemist's hat is a pretty good trade)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 13:54

KoboldLord wrote:A -2 hat is 5AC less than a +2 helmet, and that means you get an average of 2.5 more damage from literally every attack made against you forever. Elemental attacks are sometimes a big deal, but the overwhelming majority of attacks in the game are physical damage that ignores all resistances anyway. You suffer an additional 2.5 damage from all of them. All of them.

The problem with this logic is that there are a lot of attacks on any high AC character where the AC rolls high enough to eliminate the damage. And that extra AC doesn't help you at all there. And then there's a category of blows which deal 1-2 damage, which will be eliminated by the extra AC, but not reduced by 2.5. This is why AC has diminishing returns. If I have 40-50 AC, I'll might be happy to take a 1/3 reduction in all elemental damage(rF+->rF++), and not have to swap rings to get the first pip up. Ideally I should swap the hat in of course, but I do compromise on optimality for convenience.

For this message the author byrel has received thanks: 2
bel, Rast

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 11th August 2015, 18:30

KoboldLord wrote:The Alchemist's Hat isn't quite a trap item... but for the majority of characters it's an unfavorable trade compared to stacking AC as high as it goes and just swapping jewelry for resistances.

A +2 helmet may give up to 7 more AC than a -2 hat. But the Alchemist Hat gives 8 useful resistances, including rMut which is normally available only on amulets. So each ego is worth less than 1 extra point of AC. Concomitantly, you'd wear +1 rings of protection over rings of resistance most of time, and you'd prefer a +11 plate of nothing to a +10 plate of some resistance. Golden dragon armor would be just as good with base AC of 13 and no resistances, and so on and so forth. Well, that's just nuts.

For this message the author Pollen_Golem has received thanks:
Rast

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th August 2015, 18:32

not all resistances are equal

nago

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 04:15

Sar wrote:not all resistances are equal

Alright then, which of the following are worth less than 1 extra AC?
rF+
rC+
rElec
rPois
rN+
MR+
rMut
rCorr

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 04:19

rF+
rC+
rElec
rPois
rN+
MR+
rMut
rCorr

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 4
gammafunk, jason0320, mps, nago

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 07:36

Depends on the character and situation. Do you even play Crawl or do you just post about it? No need to be shy, I mean I'm in the "just posting" camp myself.

Sandman25

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 07:53

I'll admit that I actually do use the hat of the alchemist pretty frequently when it generates, but I shoot for pretty high defenses otherwise, so it's mostly just a thing of wanting to be lazy and not think about jewelry swaps. If you're doing the kind of character people around here seem to like (octopodes, "blaster casters," shields + medium armor, w/e), with total defenses around 50-60 or less, then I pretty much agree with the analysis upthread.
Dungeon Crawling Advice tl;dr: Protect ya neck.

For this message the author mps has received thanks:
dowan

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 13:47

I used hat of the alchemist with all characters who found it. I think I would not use it on D1 as Gr though ;)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 17:41

Pollen_Golem wrote:
Sar wrote:not all resistances are equal

Alright then, which of the following are worth less than 1 extra AC?
rF+
rC+
rElec
rPois
rN+
MR+
rMut
rCorr

Against yaks? None of them.

Against Elf/V:5/Zot/extended? All of them.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
Sandman25

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 17:55

Rast wrote:Against yaks? All of them.

Against Elf/V:5/Zot/extended? None of them.

Lol, FTFY.

For this message the author Pollen_Golem has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, byrel

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 12th August 2015, 18:37

Honestly, I think there's rarely a game where it's optimal to never use HoA. I also think it's rarely optimal to wear it continuously. However, I despise tedium, so I choose which will handle the threats I'm actually concerned about, and always do that.

For this message the author byrel has received thanks:
dowan
Previous

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner