More Interesting Lair Enemies

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 18th July 2015, 03:29

More Interesting Lair Enemies

Lair is pretty boring, mostly due to the enemies. I propose that Lair monsters be changed and more interesting ones be added.

Changes to Existing Monsters
-Remove crocodiles, or give them something interesting to do. There was a suggestion in CYC that I liked: remove crocodiles, rename alligators to crocodiles and give them the ability to constrict players/drag them into shallow water. New crocodiles wouldn't be able to hide underwater.

-Give ordinary frogs a layer of mucus that increases their effective AC and EV. The mucus is destroyed when the frog takes enough damage or gets hit by elemental damage, and it regenerates after a period of time. This can be given to blink frogs as well.

-Allow certain slimes to generate as normal enemies. An acid blob would be too much, but anything weaker than that should be fine.

-Whenever a yak or sheep is generated, there's a chance for it to be a wolf in disguise. The wolf reveals itself when it gets close enough to you or takes damage.

-Rename "Trampling" to "Shoving" and give elephants a real trample ability. If an elephant successfully tramples you, you become pinned (which is mostly identical to being constricted). If you don't escape from being pinned, the elephant can eventually step over you, moving to the other side. Make elephant packs smaller to compensate.

-Generate more predator-type enemies, like wolves and wargs.

New Monsters
-Giant Hawk: A flying enemy that moves at normal speed. It has a "Dive Bomb" attack that lets it move multiple spaces and deal extra damage. The Roc is a unique Giant Hawk with much more health and a gust of wind that can knock you back one or two spaces.

-Tiger: Similar to the Giant Hawk, it has a pounce attack that lets it move multiple spaces. It moves somewhat quickly.

-Frog Queen: A large, slow-moving frog that carries thousands of eggs on its back. It has a strong melee attack and can throw frogs at you (summoning frogs at your location). On death, it spawns multiple weaker frogs.

-Antlion: A huge bug that hides underground until you stand next to it. Hiding antlions produce disturbances just like monsters hiding underwater.

-Aquatic Yaks: Self-explanatory. Aquatic yaks also have a chance of being crocodiles in disguise.

-Wretched Grove: An aspen grove that exists as multiple trees throughout the level. The trees don't share hit points, but killing one kills the whole grove. When a tree is near death it retreats underground and reappears elsewhere. This process takes several turns, during which the tree remains vulnerable. Wretched Grove trees attack slowly and use either melee or (weak) thrown rocks.

-Howler Monkey: A monkey that screeches constantly as long as it sees you, alerting other monsters to your location.

-Mantis Shrimp: A slow-moving aquatic enemy with an extremely deadly melee attack.

-Diode Fly: An erratically-moving enemy that applies a "Charge" to you with its melee attack. As long as you're charged, the Diode Fly can use a very weak smite-targeted electrical attack. The charge dissipates when you kill the fly or leave its line of sight.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 18th July 2015, 03:35

Re: More Interesting Lair Enemies

File200 wrote:Aquatic Yaks: Self-explanatory.

???

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 18th July 2015, 03:48

Sar wrote:

???

They're yaks. That can swim. They drip water everywhere and smell terrible.

For this message the author File200 has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 18th July 2015, 16:18

So we have:

• A blink frog buff
  • Submerged mechanics on land.
  • A harmless tree opponent that takes forever to kill.
  • A water-bound Giant Snail.
  • A bat that punishes you for not chasing it around.
  • A host of enemies which effectively teleport on top of you once in range.
I don't know, I don't usually give my input on suggestions here, but this sounds like a pretty horrid set of changes. Lair has problems, but I don't think they are problems you'd fix by adding a bunch of annoying monster types. I could just go back a few versions for that.

For this message the author Deimos has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Rast, Sar

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 18th July 2015, 21:44

This suggestion gives me horrid flashbacks about Enchanted forest.

For this message the author Mulzaro has received thanks:
duvessa

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 19th July 2015, 02:47

At least the frog queen is okay, right? And maybe the yak ideas? And what's wrong with opponents that jump on you? They could move at regular speed normally, or maybe slowly.

Elephants and basic frogs really do need something to make them more interesting. Maybe you could suggest something.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 19th July 2015, 05:01

Making Lair monsters more 'interesting' has a high chance of making it harder which is probably not a good idea. Lots of characters are really bad when entering Lair so you need exp somewhere without getting smacked in every combat. I would probably just concentrate on making it less of a chore by making it shorter (6 floors?). The amount of poison is also quite ridiculous there and in the branches, but I'm not sure if that's a bad thing.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 19th July 2015, 16:17

Giant Hawk = wind drake
Frog queen = polyphemus/robin
Aquatic Yaks = water nymphs
Antilion = trapdoor spider
Howler Monkey = alarm traps
Mantis shrimp = shark
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks:
duvessa

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 19th July 2015, 17:08

File200 wrote:
Sar wrote:

???

They're yaks. That can swim. They drip water everywhere and smell terrible.

For completeness, this also requires the addition of air bison.

For this message the author Blobbo has received thanks:
File200

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 20th July 2015, 18:37

Blobbo wrote:For completeness, this also requires the addition of air bison.

Include yak variants for every element:
Water Buffalo
Air Bison
Fire Gnus
Yakgoyles (or some other earth-based ungulate. Like a Rocky Moose.)

Barkeep

Post Monday, 20th July 2015, 18:55

File200 wrote:-Frog Queen: A large, slow-moving frog that carries thousands of eggs on its back. It has a strong melee attack and can throw frogs at you (summoning frogs at your location). On death, it spawns multiple weaker frogs.

It's funny, for a long time I thought this was how frogs worked in the real world
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 20th July 2015, 19:00

dynast wrote:Giant Hawk = wind drake
Frog queen = polyphemus/robin
Aquatic Yaks = water nymphs
Antilion = trapdoor spider
Howler Monkey = alarm traps
Mantis shrimp = shark
I kind of want to explain why none of these comparisons are accurate, but at the same time I don't think your post even warrants a rebuttal. Instead, I leave you with this:

May doge have mercy on you.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 20th July 2015, 19:23

They are not accurate, they are actual better ideas that exists in the game and some of them already appear on lair. And some of them dont because swamp and shoals fit them better. And some of them even got removed.
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks:
duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 20th July 2015, 20:55

njvack wrote:
File200 wrote:-Frog Queen: A large, slow-moving frog that carries thousands of eggs on its back. It has a strong melee attack and can throw frogs at you (summoning frogs at your location). On death, it spawns multiple weaker frogs.

It's funny, for a long time I thought this was how frogs worked in the real world

I'm not sure which part you're talking about, but there's a bunch of frogs which carry their eggs on their back.
take it easy

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner